Build Thread Reviving "The Bruise" thread

Build Thread Reviving "The Bruise" thread
Ok. So, it's been a while since i've updated this thread yet again. My computer crapped out quite a while ago and didn't want to buy a new one. I've got a lot of good working pics on my digital camera that I'll upload eventually but my iphone pics will have to do for now (to prove I've made progress):D.

I have been working on "The Bruise" though. Slowly but surely "The Bruise" has been healing.

Windshield hinge and spare tire bracket and latch sanded and painted.

photo.jpg

I then cut off the passenger side rocker.

photo2.jpg

Then I bent these pieces at a 45 degree angle and welded some tubing at the bottom to use as a slider.

photo3.jpg

I also had to fix the body mount. This is a pic of the one I did on the driverside but the passenger side went the same.

photo9.jpg

Before I welded on the new rockers I had to cut out a lot of rust from the rollbar tie in corner. This pic doesn't do it justice but was all I had on the iphone. I also capped off the top of portion with some new metal but didn't have a pic of it. All in all it came out slick.

photo4.jpg

Once that corner was done, I closed it all up by welding the rockers on. 14 gauge steel plus a welded on tube slider ought to be plenty beefy:punk:

photo5.jpg
I'll post more pics of all that when I can upload my images to photobucket.

Then I had to move on to the fender. I had to weld on a 45 degree angle piece, same as the tub, in order for it to match up to the body and not look goofy.

photo6.jpg

With a lot of adjustment it lined up great with hardly any seam.;)

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

All of that took me about 6 months to complete with life getting in the way at every possible turn.

So, now I'm on the driver side. Got the corner boxed in, bodymount/hockey puck spacer on and getting ready to weld on the new rocker.

Trying to get as much done as I can before... baby controls every aspect of my life!:eek:

Any thoughts or questions?

That looks really good!!! I have been tossing the idea around of doing that on my 7, and I think you just convinced me it would not look bad at all. Keep up the good work.:chug:

Thanks. It may look a little wierd when it's done due to the 31's. I think it would look more appropriate with larger tires. I will paint it all the same color so that may help. I'm also toying with the idea of bolting a slider/step rail from wheel well to wheel well. Should help with strength and rigidity.

Do you have access to a shear and brake?? If not how did you form the sheet metal??
Looks terrific BTW.:cool:

My dad originally brought home the 2 5'x6.5" pieces from work about 6 years ago. I drilled holes in them and the jeep to rivet them on (and cover up the rust). You can see them in my first post on page 1. So, I took them off, stripped the paint, welded the drilled holes closed using copper as a backer, ground them down, marked where I wanted the bend, took them to a local metal fab shop and we bent them on a hydrolic brake. Guy was real cool and let me work with him. Cost me $8. He was interested in the project I was using them for.

Then I welded the tubes along the bottoms. The welding warped the metal so I had to use a bottle Jack and the underside of my bumper with the rocker on Jack stands to bend it straight again. Was a PITA!

Higher resolution pic dump.

Welded the new nut for the body mount.

100_3446.jpg

Welded the nuts for the roll bar bracket. This is the bottom of the boxed in corner on the passenger side.

100_3449.jpg

100_3447.jpg

100_3451.jpg

A few more of the passenger side before final welds and paint.

100_3457.jpg
100_3458.jpg
100_3460.jpg

The rocker with the tube welded to it. Good penetrating welds. Probably why it warped.

100_3531.jpg

100_3529.jpg

100_3504.jpg

100_3500.jpg

Inside passenger side after cauked up welds. Before that I had patch welded some strips from the inside new rocker to the tub floor for even more metal to metal contact. Then I cauked.

100_3515.jpg

100_3512.jpg

100_3511.jpg

After finishing up the passenger side I took a side turn and removed the gas tank. I didn't want to cut and weld on the driverside with all of those lines along the frame with possibly gas still in them:eek:! I blew out the lines after removing everything. Tank and skid were then cleaned and painted.

100_3496.jpg

100_3499.jpg

Rinse and repeat for the driver's side.

100_3509.jpg

100_3507.jpg

100_3517.jpg

100_3535.jpg

100_3528.jpg

I could've just permanantly taped these templates on and it would have been more support than what was there.:laugh:
100_3526.jpg

100_3536.jpg

The boxed in corner for the driver's side came out better than the other.

100_3539.jpg

100_3540.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom