Rainbow Falls Off-road Area

Rainbow Falls Off-road Area

Bill D

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5 Renegade. 6-258 engine, Howell FI, T-176 four speed, 300 transfer with Terra Low 4:1 gears, Dana 30 front with ARB air locker, AMC 20 rear with one piece axles and welded axle tubes and an ARB air locker. Both differentials running 3.73:1 R&P's. Onboard air, Warn 8,000lb. Winch- - -
2003 Jeep TJ "Rubicon" with all the Rubicon goodies, Terra-Flex 3" lift, adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, LED headlight conversion, Quadratec 9000 winch. - - -

1963 Willys CJ5 with a 134 ci F - head, three speed T90 tranny and a Warn overdrive. - - -

1949 CJ-3A. My latest acquisition and favorite plaything.
Sunday afternoon was beautiful weather so Carol and I decided to get out of the house and test the new front air locker in the Renegade. We are a fairly short drive from northwestern Colorado Springs up Ute Pass to Woodland Park and then 67 highway north to Rainbow Falls. We took a trail that we had been on several weeks prior with a Jeep club here in CS that we belong to. Wish we had taken some video but haven't gotten the Go Pro fully mastered yet. Anyway, this trail follows a ridge for about a mile when it makes an interesting "dive" for the bottom of a fairly heavily wooded gulch. We followed this trail and several others for some distance until we finally arrived at a rock formation known locally as "Moab Rock". This is a layered formation that is made up of knee-high steps with a total rise of 25-30 feet. This was also the first trial of the new 3.73 gears and the ARB air locker that had recently been installed in the "Renegade". I had already done a rear air locker upgrade along with a 4:1 gear change prior to making the 6th Annual Colorado CJ Trail Ride so feel that I am now pretty much "loaded for bear".
I am very much impressed with the performance that the above improvements have made. I can now ease up to one of the 18" steps in low range, 1st gear and without having to make a running start or having to put in a bunch of "skinny pedal", just let it idle up the step.
My next improvement on the CJ5 has to be fuel injection. Now, when I get the Jeep on a fairly steep incline, I start to have problems with the carburetor float and the engine stalling out. In the past several weeks, I have seen several people with CJ's have the same problem whether running 6's or V8's.
After several hours of just enjoying God's creation and AMC's engineering we returned to Colorado Springs via FS351 to FS300 (Rampart Range Road) which dumps us out in the west end of Garden of the Gods Park.
I sure enjoy living in Colorado Springs where so much beauty and great wheeling is so close. In fact, we had so much fun on Sunday, we went back up on Monday.
I have some iPhone video of folks climbing Moab Rock and if I can figure out how to post it, I will.

My next improvement on the CJ5 has to be fuel injection. Now, when I get the Jeep on a fairly steep incline, I start to have problems with the carburetor float and the engine stalling out. In the past several weeks, I have seen several people with CJ's have the same problem whether running 6's or V8's.

If you are interested, there are some other fixes that can help in the meantime depending on the type of carb you have. Anti bounce springs on the float, for one. Fuel pressure regulator, etc.

But fuel injection would surely be nice! :drool::drool::drool:

:chug:

OK, JR -

When I try to upload the file from tube I get a message telling me it's an unobtainable file.

Bill

Actually the message was "invalid file".

:confused:

Is it viewable on you tube? Or is that what your having trouble uploading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can view it just fine on tube. I just can't get a link to work. I am now set so anyone can watch by going to: William F. Dawson : Moab Rock - Rainbow Falls.

What iI mean is - did you already get the bideo uploaded from your computer "to" you tube and it's viewable, or are you getting the error uploading to you tube?

If it's already uploaded to you tube, copy and paste a http link to the video.

You can upload them here direct, but eventually you will run out of allotted storage.

Send me a PM if none of this makes sense and i'll send you my phone number and we'll get it figured out

Edit - didnt see new post... My bad!

Let me see if i can find it.

dangit! You're quick - just found it myself and logged on laptop - Thanks CJ!

Nice video Bill!

Good upgrade for your rig Bill, I can see the improved control going uphill.

Thanks! If I can get this video thing figured out, I have some better ones.

Good upgrade for your rig Bill, I can see the improved control going uphill.

Good to hear from you, Posi-

Yes, now I feel more like I'm in control of the Jeep instead of the other way around. I still need to get the transfer case leak fixed and different bolts in the rear u-joint straps but, hey - I've been driving the goody out of it and it's still holding together. You do GOOD parking lot repairs. I'm really looking forward to the 7th Annual Colorado. . . .and Poughkeepsie Gulch.

BTW, have you looked into your front differential yet? Hope things are OK in there.

Bill, it's easy to link and or embed a video.

Just copy and paste the URL from your browser menu bar to create a link (see below for the picture of what I copied.)

attachment.php

Copy and paste the link
PHP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8V4ztyYOQM
to create -->> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8V4ztyYOQM

And to embed the video use the youtube video ID, it in the url after v=
You can type in the tag or use the youtube button
youtube.gif
when you make a post.

Example.

The youtube url is
PHP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8V4ztyYOQM
so the embed tag would be
PHP:
[MEDIA=YOUTUBE]e8V4ztyYOQM[/MEDIA]
which produces -->>

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 06 21.22.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 06 21.22.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 263
Bill-Have you tried an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, installed near the carb. after the fuel filter 'split'?
THX for the vid. :chug:
After I put my 4:1 t'case gears in. I had to learn how to drive the Jeep all over again. :D
LG

Moved new video and related posts to the 6th annual colorado trail report thread instead

nice vid! totally moving out that way, MA sux!!!

Bill D. Nice video and upgrades. Was wondering which 4 to 1 you went with? And how did you decide? Thanks

Bill D. Nice video and upgrades. Was wondering which 4 to 1 you went with? And how did you decide? Thanks

I went with the Terra Low. I really wanted the Low Max unit because of their one-piece gear construction but they had no product to sell until October and the 6th Annual Colorado CJ Trail Ride was in August. I really think it makes very little difference but the Low Max were a bit less expensive. Furthermore, I understand that Low Max will trim another $100 off their price to those willing to wait. That's a good deal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks