On-Board Welder/Alternator Welder?

On-Board Welder/Alternator Welder?

mhubacek

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
WR450F, 68' CJ-5, 72' CJ-5, F250 POWERSTROKE
After posting on another thread, "Fix them holes," I started doing a little research on ARC welding with vehicle batteries, and on-board welders. I found a couple sites that said you could build your own for around $70. I then came accross a site that said you could ARC weld using your alternator. The draw backs of that would probably be the engine would need to be running, but seems safer then using batteries. Anyone build there own? How did you do it? Is it excessively hard on your alternator? Just looking for a simple way to make my own, and not pay the hundreds of dollars on a company manufactured one. Here is the link on the Alternator ARC welder.
How to Make Alternator Welders | eHow.com

:dunno:

I also have an F250 Powerstroke Diesel. Since it is a dual battery set up, could I just go off the primary battery and get 24 volts? Any pics of anyone's home made Arc Welders would be interesting to view.:D

Bajaedition, I figured you'd chime in, and I appreciate it. I always read your advice when it comes to metal working/welding issues. That looks like a great setup. Unfortunately, can't afford it right now. I was really interested in making my own. (For emergency repair only) I don't feel confortable using my batteries and I thought the alternator welder sounded cheap, and effective. What do you think of it? Any ways to make it better, and safer on my alternator?
Thanks

Bajaedition, I figured you'd chime in, and I appreciate it. I always read your advice when it comes to metal working/welding issues. That looks like a great setup. Unfortunately, can't afford it right now. I was really interested in making my own. (For emergency repair only) I don't feel confortable using my batteries and I thought the alternator welder sounded cheap, and effective. What do you think of it? Any ways to make it better, and safer on my alternator?
Thanks

Mount a second alternator. I am thinking about the place occupied by the smog pump o my CJ. use a chevy 140 amp cs144.:cool:

How would the wiring go with a second alternator? Thanks for the reply!:D

It would not be wired to the jeep at all, stand alone. I think you have to do some tricks to the diode pack and regulater.:cool:

While digging through my garage yesterday, I came accross the alternator for my 305 SBC. It's a Relco-Demi, and it worked when I pulled it. Can't find any ID numbers on it though. Will this alternator work? A couple sites suggested it's best to use a Ford type alternator. I don't know how many amps it is, and it's disconnected, so I can't really test it.

While digging through my garage yesterday, I came accross the alternator for my 305 SBC. It's a Relco-Demi, and it worked when I pulled it. Can't find any ID numbers on it though. Will this alternator work? A couple sites suggested it's best to use a Ford type alternator. I don't know how many amps it is, and it's disconnected, so I can't really test it.
AZ will test it for you. You need to see if it has Avalanche diodes in it.
Avalanche diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They limit the amount of voltage output, and I think you will need to remove and wire around the voltage regulator. Alternators are very interesting machines.:cool:

at least some fords don't use avalanche diodes so that is why they are preferred, but creativity rules and things can and are rewired and modified.

I saw a guy do an emergency weld using three 12 volt Jeep batteries hook together.:cool:

If life depended on it I would give that a try but I would want a LOOOOONG set of cables to keep me as far away from the hydrogen those batteries are making as possible.

I saw a guy do an emergency weld using three 12 volt Jeep batteries hook together.:cool:

If life depended on it I would give that a try but I would want a LOOOOONG set of cables to keep me as far away from the hydrogen those batteries are making as possible.

He was using Red tops & heavy duty battery cables.

It's only a small hydrogen bomb.:laugh:
I've seen it done a couple times. Haven't seen any blow YET.

I have done the battery thing before, it is quite common field repair method

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks