Electrical Mystery button on dash

JohnEJo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 Jeep CJ7, 304, Quadra Trac
I recently bought a ‘76 CJ7 with Quadra Trac. There is a unique looking button just above the wiper switch. I haven’t tried to see where it leads yet but hoping someone might know what it od is for.

Here is a pic of it;

IMG_0727.jpeg

Thank you in advance. 😊

Solution
Well, bummer! I was hoping the switch was for something Q had installed on the Jeep, but apparently not. Turns out the switch is for starting the Jeep with the key in the "on" position. Maybe next time. :)
Yes, the front bumper looks like it may have had a winch on it at one time. Sometime this week I’ll try and trace the wire and see if it goes to anything. Because of something someone posted earlier I’m wondering if it has to do with the ignition system since the key doesn’t seem to do anything to start it.

Well, bummer! I was hoping the switch was for something Q had installed on the Jeep, but apparently not. Turns out the switch is for starting the Jeep with the key in the "on" position. Maybe next time. :)
Not sure why someone would install a start button if you still have to insert the key and also turn it to the "on" position first - unless your ignition switch is bad in the "start" position and this is a work-around. To me, a push button start means you don't use the key. - not both key AND separate button.

I think the ignition switch is probably bad. The rest of the electrical (gauges, etc.) do not come on unless the ignition switch is in the "on" position, but it will not even try to turn over. Plus, the turn signals do not work. I don't know if the turn signals and the ignition switch are connected, but maybe the issue is connected. The backup lights do not even come on when the transmission is put in reverse, and there is an added switch on the dash to, get this, to turn the backup lights off and on. Ugh! There are so many wires on this thing in addition to the factory wires, I think I'll need to pull all of them and totally rewire the CJ.

BTW, does anyone know if the Painless wiring kit for these CJ7's includes the steering column harness', or is that a separate item that I'll need to locate somewhere?

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
So a couple of buttons added to work around wiring/electrical issues by the PO. Figures unfortunately. I recall a thread on this site about crazy stuff done by PO's.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
So a couple of buttons added to work around wiring/electrical issues by the PO. Figures unfortunately. I recall a thread on this site about crazy stuff done by PO's.
Thread 'PO did What?'

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks