Electrical Mystery button on dash

Electrical Mystery button on dash

JohnEJo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 Jeep CJ7, 304, Quadra Trac
I recently bought a ‘76 CJ7 with Quadra Trac. There is a unique looking button just above the wiper switch. I haven’t tried to see where it leads yet but hoping someone might know what it od is for.

Here is a pic of it;

IMG_0727.jpeg

Thank you in advance. 😊

Solution
Well, bummer! I was hoping the switch was for something Q had installed on the Jeep, but apparently not. Turns out the switch is for starting the Jeep with the key in the "on" position. Maybe next time. :)
It looks like a momentary push button but definitely added by the PO. Maybe an old start, wiper fluid or even horn.
I m guessing it no longer does any thing???

The electrical has been royally messed up and butchered by a previous owner. Some electrical works, and some not. I’m going to have to do a complete rewire. There is another button for a horn, so that can’t be it. I’ll have to see if it’s still hooked up to anything, and if so to what.

Thank you.

It makes the unicorns appear. Go ahead and push it and enjoy the magic

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Ejection seat button for the passengers seat ? :D I got rid of mine after I got married. Put a tachometer instead there.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Ejection seat button for the passengers seat ? :D I got rid of mine after I got married. Put a tachometer instead there.
Thanks Q what next oil slick? Smoke screen? Wait no sorry those are factory options

Run a wire from a spark plug through it and to the passenger seat. Once trip you can zap 'em if they act up.

How about the Quadra Trac ? Usually there is a button I have heard in the glove box. I don’t have that feature so I don’t have first hand knowledge

Make it a plain sight kill switch. Get a 5 pin relay, the single wire going to the starter relay, cut, incoming side to pin 30, outgoing to pin 87a, pin 87 not used, run pos wire to push button, other side of push button to pin 86, pin 85 to ground.
What happens now is when you turn the key, nothing happens because no power going to starter relay as it's wired to the open circuit on the relay, even if hot wired under dash by crossing wires. The solenoid is activated when button pushed to complete the starter circuit. To start Jeep, push and hold button simultaneously turn key, jeep starts as normal.
2023-09-29_103852.jpg
2023-09-29_104036 5.jpg

Hell, I love wiring relays and gadgets to do tricky stuff, I could give you a sequence start using say 4 toggles that have to be in the right position before will start, and any wrong combination sounding a loud aftermarket horn if wrong sequence is tried, or horns and lights flashing like an alarm until another secret placed toggle is tripped to disarm lol.
Could be wired to starter relay, neutral safety, coil, all kinds of choices to disable unauthorized start, even with a backup solenoid bypass to disable all wiring to normal mode should something in the setup fails to prevent you from being stranded if setup fails due to corrosion or relay failure. And if relay failure, keep spare, unplug old plug in new.

I like all the ideas you guys have given for that button. However, I’m leaning towards it connecting wirelessly to a laser equipped satellite that will monitor my gps coordinates, and when the button is pushed it will automatically send a short laser burst to the passenger seat or to the car in front of me. What do you think of that? 😊

I like all the ideas you guys have given for that button. However, I’m leaning towards it connecting wirelessly to a laser equipped satellite that will monitor my gps coordinates, and when the button is pushed it will automatically send a short laser burst to the passenger seat or to the car in front of me. What do you think of that?
O old school and rig it up to blast 12ga rounds hiding in the bumper

O old school and rig it up to blast 12ga rounds hiding in the bumper

I was thinking the double barrel out the back would be pretty cool ! Just in case someone behind was harassing you. Maybe open up the holes where the OEM tire mount was on the rear passenger back fender area. :D 7ABFA519-475E-4B84-8FB4-9CF5CC093966.jpeg

I was thinking the double barrel out the back would be pretty cool ! Just in case someone behind was harassing you. Maybe open up the holes where the OEM tire mount was on the rear passenger back fender area. :D View attachment 86475
Why not go non leathal and spray pressurised HYD fluid, should impair tail gaters lol

Aim low for the tires gives em time to reflect on their poor decisions while waiting for the tow truck

How about the Quadra Trac ? Usually there is a button I have heard in the glove box. I don’t have that feature so I don’t have first hand knowledge
The Quadratrac used a continuous type switch so not likely that. Does the front bumper show signs of a winch mounting? I used probably that same Cole Hersee switch to control the solenoid on the old Warn/Belleview winches.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks