Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...
Yes, 360 specific.

Today I found a Willys L-134, AMC 258, (3) AMC V8 flywheels.

What I found interesting was all 3 v8 flywheels had the counter weight at 4:30 and all with with the same part number 321297219

However, I previously marked the flywheels 304, 360 with a ?, and 360.

Above the counter weight all three has additional casting numbers
The 304 and 360 w/? had L246. The 360 had A317.

After inspected the bore holes and casting numbers I believe I have is 2 304, and 1 360.

I removed the 360 flywheel from my 77 CJ5 w/360 engine (year unknown) Engine paint color 70s

It will be sometime next week for me to package it for shipping.

Last edited:
Pics

5a538a0c21bf79349be35020fb3389ac.jpg

7666487ad5466578e3100521300abfda.jpg

a4a4eac68c1cabf27197717ec34b13e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I measured the crank flange recess on the flywheel and found 4.250"
The 2 measuring points were not down to metal clean surfaces.

Looking through this I can't tell for sure what version it matches best with...

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_flywheels.htm

Best I can tell it should work for a 360, but nothing matches exact to above specs i see on the fw.

I've read some people are saying after a fresh rebuild with new pistons you should have it re-balanced anyways... Wasn't planning a racing 6k rpm engine, so wasn't planning to re-balance it after the fact...

I'll need to do some more research and see what I need to do. I don't want a paperweight 360 after a few uses...

:chug:

I wouldn’t put 100% stock into that website. Some good info, but they state a 304 does not come with a counter weight when I know in fact some do.

Include measuring your crank end in your research.

I wouldn’t put 100% stock into that website. Some good info, but they state a 304 does not come with a counter weight when I know in fact some do.

Include measuring your crank end in your research.

Sounds good - I'll believe you over a random website any day lol.

I'll get the crank end measurement ASAP.

Well it's only been over a year...

Here's the recent progress getting ready for the Colorado Trip this year again.

Got everything together I needed for the 360 build, except what I was scavenging from the current 304 - so under the knife she went:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Started clean up and refinishing stuff - I used Metalcast paint for a lot of the accessories. The block is just semi-gloss black engine enamel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now we've got the new block in and are working on finishing touches! Let me know what you all think!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

and a mock up of finish:

attachment.php

Looks awesome! I have a 351w swap that I'm working on, and I don't think I trust myself enough to leave the front clip on while doing the swap...

I did because it was essentially the same block (mount location and clutch etc) swap between 304 and 360. So with the radiator out, I was able to get the cherry picker high enough to pull it over the grill and put back the same.

If i had to do any motor mount work, or had more time I wanted to spend on it, it could have made for a cleaner finish.

Thanks for looking :chug:

Last night was the home stretch, or so I thought ;)

Went to fill with coolant, poured out of the block - good news, it was just the block drain plugs being missing. Fixed that.

Back to filling the coolant - ran out of the water pump front or weep hole - couldn't tell for sure. So water pump and radiator hoses will be replaced tonight.

Distributor is ready to stab after oil prime (already @ TDC) and plugs / exhaust etc all hooked up.

This evening "should" be cam break in, as long as there are no more surprises... :cool:

lol always something

Right? If this is (and I hope it is) the extent of my issues on getting this garage built 360 going, I'll be ok... I'm hoping to break in the cam, then break in the rings this weekend on a small trip.

So I'm shooting for no more hiccups!

Right? If this is (and I hope it is) the extent of my issues on getting this garage built 360 going, I'll be ok... I'm hoping to break in the cam, then break in the rings this weekend on a small trip.

So I'm shooting for no more hiccups!

good luck, im still fighting mine and its a new motor i rebuilt years ago and has been in storage for awhile, i also have water coming from the water pump weep hole lol

Got her fired up last night and cam broke in. Ran a bit hotter than I'd like, but was revving 2k to 2.5k RPM stationary to break in the cam. Put a fan in front of radiator to help with the airflow and seemed to help a bit. Was still touching on about 220 degrees F. Little hotter than I prefer, though a lot of friction in a tight new motor build start up.

Tonight is tuning and hopefully road trip to set the rings tonight / tomorrow.

After that a oil change and business as usual again with any luck.

Got her fired up last night and cam broke in. Ran a bit hotter than I'd like, but was revving 2k to 2.5k RPM stationary to break in the cam. Put a fan in front of radiator to help with the airflow and seemed to help a bit. Was still touching on about 220 degrees F. Little hotter than I prefer, though a lot of friction in a tight new motor build start up.

Tonight is tuning and hopefully road trip to set the rings tonight / tomorrow.

After that a oil change and business as usual again with any luck.

When I break a cam in I have a garden hose ready to spray on the radiator. You don’t want to drench it just enough to cover the core.

Wow dude that’s awesome congrats nothing better than seeing all your hard work come to fruition

Wow dude that’s awesome congrats nothing better than seeing all your hard work come to fruition

I agree!

It's a bit more vibrate-y than I remember... Checked motor mounts, checked all other bolts. Driving it for now. Really hoping it's not the aftermarket flywheel (yeah I know - shoulda / woulda / coulda - got impatient...).

I imagine if that flywheel / crank was out of balance, I'd already have thrown a rod or something... drove it about 50 miles so far.

Might just be the engine still running tad rough during breakin. Sounds great, runs great and strong, just vibrates me a bit. Got some stuff to check out...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks