Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...

Build Thread Jr's 74 CJ5 "fix" and build as I go...
Looks very well done! :notworthy:

So glad you can make it to Colorado this year as well! :chug:

I was wondering about the clearance between the frame shock brackets (or towers didn't know what you had) and inner fenders, but I see you made your own brackets and they clear the inner fender just fine.

Well done! Thanks for the link.

I cut and rewelded those towers from my Rocky Road OME lift "kit" way back when.

I did notch out the inner fender slightly for easier fitment around the tower. It would have worked ok without notching, but it wanted to flex the 14 gauge sheet metal a bit when lining up all the bolts at firewall. So we notched it and it fits like a snug glove!

:chug:

Update - Finished the passenger side fender this last weekend, and remounted all the fender accessories in the engine compartment, including the starter solenoid, voltage regulator, misc relays, and the ARB compressor.

Took apart the compressor and cleaned it out good and made sure all the seals were good to go. Hooked up the Air system lines and got the lockers all good with no leaks.

Go the windshield wipers fixed, but word to the wise, as always, the all in one Omix-ADA kit had parts from a 76+ CJ model thrown in with it when it was clearly marked, marketed, and advertised (so then purchased) as being direct replacement for 68 through 80 something +... The linkage must have changed a bit after 75 though, because these linkage bars wouldn't line up and work with existing pivot points or motor location... We could have cut and re-welded the linkage up to make it work, but in the interest of getting it done and moving down my to-do list, we adapted the replacement pivot to work where my "stock" one had broken / failed, and reused the remaining hardware and linkage again. They work well now, and so far no issues. I did use the new wiper arms and blades as mine were destroyed from my ghetto rigged shoes string and antenna trail fix for wipers last trip off the mountains...

So as I sit, I still need to install the tow bar, and then check / change all fluids, grease all zerpts (or cerptz? whatever... ;) ), custom make 2 new rock-slide sides for bottom of the tub on each side between new fenders and old rear fender tire openings, extend bump stops on all 4 tire locations to stop over-stuffing, re-run diff vents, test out the CB and everything else on a shake down run to the local 4x4 OHV park and go from there...

Might even take the center floor pan out to access the top of the transmission to investigate / troubleshoot that stinking reverse light switch not working...

Couple questions I'm going to post in open forums...

1) I need some schooling on tuning the jeep up using a vacuum gauge. I have seen a lot of people saying it's the best way to tune a engine and carb, but it's confused me... I need to read a bit more on it.

2) How do I calculate how far off my speedometer is off and get the right tooth count gear to replace in the transfer case? Is there a formula somewhere with a tire size, gearing etc input that will spit out a answer or a try and error type thing?

2. - Performance Transmission Center - 888-201-2066

Use a GPS to measure your speed and go 60mph. Look at your speedometer and see what it reads. Call these folks, tell them what transfer case you have and your speedometer's speed at GPS's 60mph and they will sell you the right gear.

perfect - thank you 007 I have a GPS phone app I know from testing is pretty on the dot, and can do the rest easily - Cheers!

Use the v'gauge to set idle fuel mix. You want the highest reading with the least needle movement.
LG

How can a guy who's capable of building a Cj from the ground up struggle with the words "Zerk fitting" :poke: Keep plugging away and post some pics sometime.

How can a guy who's capable of building a Cj from the ground up struggle with the words "Zerk fitting" :poke:

:laugh: Right??

:cool:

Blast from the past! Back at it again finally...

Have a 360 block and heads I picked up for $300.

Picked up a full doner 304 for a few odds and ends. for another $300 - Complete except for carb. What sold me was the Edlebrock aluminum 4 barrel intake. $300 new so everything else there is free - came with power steering pump, headers, distributor, alternator, starter, water pump etc etc. Basically would have been a drop on a carb and throw it in...

Brought the 360 block and heads down to local machine shop and $1900 later I have a ready to assemble 360 with just a few parts left to grab (correct flywheel for 360, plugs, pushrods for lifters / rocker arms, etc). They rebuilt heads, bored and prepped the block,, set the pistons on the rods, and procured the rebuild kit for me including upgraded cam, etc...

Yesterday we got the block all final prepped, installed the camshaft, crankshaft, and pistons.

Moving forward!

That’s awesome building engines is my favorite part congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a ready to assemble 360 with just a few parts left to grab (correct flywheel for 360).
I have at least 2 - 360 flywheels if I have the one you need it's yours free. However, shipping a free flywheel coast to coast may cost more then buying one local to you. Let me know and I'll look for it.

I have at least 2 - 360 flywheels if I have the one you need it's yours free. However, shipping a free flywheel coast to coast may cost more then buying one local to you. Let me know and I'll look for it.

Looks like it's probably around $50 +/- to ship it, and $176 for a new one from Summit with free shipping...

I'm wondering if a OEM one will be better quality than the Omix ADA one... I've never been too pleased with Omix ADA...

I haven't checked my local junk yard dismantler yet...

I'll text you later - thanks buddy!

Hands down OEM
Used flywheels can be hard to find

:agree: X2 on OEM. :notworthy:
Makes sure to get new f'wheel bolts also.
LG

Blast from the past! Back at it again finally...

Have a 360 block and heads I picked up for $300.

Picked up a full doner 304 for a few odds and ends. for another $300 - Complete except for carb. What sold me was the Edlebrock aluminum 4 barrel intake. $300 new so everything else there is free - came with power steering pump, headers, distributor, alternator, starter, water pump etc etc. Basically would have been a drop on a carb and throw it in...

Brought the 360 block and heads down to local machine shop and $1900 later I have a ready to assemble 360 with just a few parts left to grab (correct flywheel for 360, plugs, pushrods for lifters / rocker arms, etc). They rebuilt heads, bored and prepped the block,, set the pistons on the rods, and procured the rebuild kit for me including upgraded cam, etc...

Yesterday we got the block all final prepped, installed the camshaft, crankshaft, and pistons.

Moving forward!

You S.O.B.! Your my idol. Building a 360 /390/401 AMC engine is definitely on my bucket list. Congrats

You S.O.B.! Your my idol. Building a 360 /390/401 AMC engine is definitely on my bucket list. Congrats

I kept my eye on Craigs list for 360 blocks for a while, and one day I just started getting the itch bad... found the one I got for pretty cheap - guy went lower when I got there as it was missing a few extra parts I was led to believe it had before the 2 hour drive one way...

The first one I went to pick up was actually a 304 - guy thought he had a 360 for many years in his jeep truck I think it was... anyways, that's actually the 304 doner I got for $300. It did have 2 auto trannys and a transfercase just rebuilt, but I didn't want to deal with reselling them to get money back and I low balled him $100 on price from original, so told him to save those and make some more cash from them - he was going in to the service I believe...

I'm very excited to build this thing up a bit and have a simple engine swap into the jeep when ready.

Posi - I think I will grab that flywheel from you if you can find it. I'll PM you and get your address and send you a UPS label so all you would have to do is box it and drop it. You the man! :notworthy:

More progress soon...

Posi - I think I will grab that flywheel from you if you can find it. I'll PM you and get your address and send you a UPS label so all you would have to do is box it and drop it. You the man! :notworthy:

After looking at my notes one in the group of flywheels belongs to a 304 #3 version, part # 3197219. I'm sure all have rings gears on them as well.

I know where the flywheels live, I should get to them at some point on Saturday. I'll send you pics and part #'s

After looking at my notes one in the group of flywheels belongs to a 304 #3 version, part # 3197219. I'm sure all have rings gears on them as well.

I know where the flywheels live, I should get to them at some point on Saturday. I'll send you pics and part #'s

I think I need the 360 specific one right as it's externally balanced?

I'll check out model numbers when you send them and see if something will work... You the man - thanks again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom