Build Thread IAFFCJ Beginning of my build (Pic Heavy)

Build Thread IAFFCJ Beginning of my build (Pic Heavy)
~~~were done with a Craftsman 115v mig welder~~~
A 120v welder can be tough to deal with - it has serious limitations... :)

As you have little penetration, that tells me the wire is still feeding too fast for the amp level. You need to slow down and let the wire fill as you burn in. It's a tough ratio to learn, but practice will help immensely.

Now, that being said - I have never used flux core so I could be way off! I took classes on TIG and just piddled (is that a word?) with Mig.

The best advice I can give you is that if the weld lays on the surface, you either do not have enough heat, are traveling too fast, don't have enough wire speed, too much wire speed for the movement or just about any combination of the above.

I know that really doesn't help, but getting it right takes allot of practice and time! :)

The little flux core welders are tough to weld with. They are really only useful on light guage steel, and lack the heavy amps to dig in and melt their way into a good puddle. The little spatters are from a lack of argon gas, which the flux tries to make up for. Try to make little tiny "circles" as you draw the bead.

The little flux core welders are tough to weld with.

I would have to agree with that. :mad: I have had my eye on this one Miller - MIG Welders - Millermatic® 180 with Auto-Set™

But got this little mig for a steel. Has the option to run gas I might try that and see if I can get this little thing at least good enough to weld in some body panels.

Thanks and even though it is taking some time I do truly like to run a welder so messing with this one is still fun just not helping with the project much. Guess I will keep practicing. :D

I would have to agree with that. :mad: I have had my eye on this one Miller - MIG Welders - Millermatic® 180 with Auto-Set™

But got this little mig for a steel. Has the option to run gas I might try that and see if I can get this little thing at least good enough to weld in some body panels.

Thanks and even though it is taking some time I do truly like to run a welder so messing with this one is still fun just not helping with the project much. Guess I will keep practicing. :D

Running gas may help for sure. I have seen some very good welds come off the gun on a little $150 harbor freight welder. Once you figure it out, It should be fine for light jobs like body work. Just got to tinker away! :)

Running gas may help for sure. I have seen some very good welds come off the gun on a little $150 harbor freight welder. Once you figure it out, It should be fine for light jobs like body work. Just got to tinker away! :)
Exactly - It's learning how to use the equipment you have... Experimentation and practice are the keys! :)

when i first tried welding with a mig that was the first thing i was told " slow down and make small circles". that and practice,practice,practice, then practice some more. Actually this was while i was welding M.O.R.E frame plates on a previous CJ.

when i first tried welding with a mig that was the first thing i was told " slow down and make small circles". that and practice,practice,practice, then practice some more. Actually this was while i was welding M.O.R.E frame plates on a previous CJ.

Heck of a time to learn to weld there kickn :D

actually had a cousin who is pretty good at welding watching and making sure it was done right.

Started cleaning up my frame. The wire wheel was not taking everything off as I would have liked so I borrowed a sandblaster and had at it. It is slow progress as I bought the wrong sand so had only a small amount to use till I get back to the store, and my compressor is really not happy about the work load so a lot of time spent waiting. I do like the results though. I also think my compressor may have giving up the ghost today. It makes all the same noises but doesn't seem to be building any pressure. Might be back to the wire wheel again. Anyway here is what I got done.

DSCN0433.jpg

DSCN0434.jpg

DSCN0435.jpg

DSCN0436.jpg

DSCN0437.jpg

Frame is coming out nicely. Should be a good project. As for the welder situation, before you go burning into the frame and such investigate a 220 welder.. Trust me they are worth their weight. I just purchased a HOBART Handler 185 from Rural King (farm store for those that dont have one) and it is amazing.. really smooth and great heat control as well as being small and portable and using gas instead of flux core.. i only paid 599 new for mine too..

Well worth the investment..

Thanks I think the frame is coming out nice as well. I work and odd schedule so I have more time than money so progress is a little slow as I can't afford to pay for much to be done. Having a professional sandblaster would really speed up progress. I have thought about the Hobart welders. I have a quite a bit of work just for frame clean up so I am hoping to build up some funds and get my welding equipment up to par. Need to run 220v to the garage as well. I think I am done buying small get me by tools of any kind. I keep breaking them.:D

Yeah, i hear ya on that one.. I did the same.. Finally started collecting up good tools from sales and such. S&K and snapon stuff really are better than Craftsman.. didnt believe it until i saw it for myself.. The HOBART welds so nice.. Only reason i picked that up was for my frame work. I have a Century that is only 100a and is good for body work, got that one for free, was in a flood and guy threw it out.. It wasnt plugged in or anything when it got wet, cleaned it, allowed it to dry and replaced wire spool with a large spool unit and it works like a charm.. Good to know people with more money than brains.. LOL

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing mor pics.. :chug:

Ive been welding with a Hobart handler 125 it was orginally a flux core:mad: I personally like Hobart's now.I went to welding school when I was younger and they turned me into a structural steel arc welder:( The last few days of class he finally let me mig weld and it was so easy after arc welding for so long. Point being like everyone else is saying you need heat to burn into the metal for weld penatration or you will have an unsave weld practice practice practice:chug:

yall are lucky i have welded everything on my jeep with an old *** 220 stick welder

IAFFCJ looking good just remimber you are going to hear biatchin that you are working on the jeep then you are in the house

Have you decided what kind of bumpers you are putting on
If you plan on going with a swing out tire rack for the bumper let me know and i will dig up the spindal part # that all of the bumper guys use

IAFFCJ looking good just remimber you are going to hear biatchin that you are working on the jeep then you are in the house

I am lucky here I only work 8 days a month (24 hour shifts) so I get my fix of jeep time when the wife is at work. and as long as I get one or two things every few weeks done around the house she seems to be happy. She doesn't like to be under construction so she pays someone else for the benefit of speed in the house projects. She makes all the money so I can't complain.:D

Have you decided what kind of bumpers you are putting on
If you plan on going with a swing out tire rack for the bumper let me know and i will dig up the spindal part # that all of the bumper guys use

Have only thought about this a little so far it seems like that step is forever away. I have read and re-read BESRK's write-up on his rear swing away bumper build on Jeep Forum as I would love to build my own. Rear Bumper w/Swingout Tire Carrier Follow Along - JeepForum.com But I can get away without one for a while so once again money takes the front seat and frame, suspension, engine and body are the first steps.

Well I am still working on this frame. I acquired a decent size compressor with a small tank, but it still does not like the sand blaster. I have decided to try and get most of the old paint and undercoating off with the grinder and wire wheel due to the huge air consumption of the sandblaster and then use the sandblaster for the areas I can't get into with the grinder. It is slow going with both tools. Have been considering picking up a needle gun and giving that a try anyone ever use one of these before? How do they work on paint that is still stuck pretty well?

If we are thinking of the same needle gun, it will not work on removing paint. Its designed to remove weld slag and peen the metal around a weld as it cools to prevent stress risers from forming.

I am also looking at a Hobart 187 welder, and the cheapest place I have found is the TS farm store, ($629 I thiink). But they have a Hobart 210 (same thing with 3/8 single pass capacity) for $799. Decisions, decisions...<looks at bank account and frowns>

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom