Build Thread IAFFCJ Beginning of my build (Pic Heavy)

Build Thread IAFFCJ Beginning of my build (Pic Heavy)

IAFFCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7
Well it has to start somewhere. Began as a clutch replacement and grew into a fight to pass emissions. Having a year until I can register the CJ as an antique in VA I decided to tear it apart and repair upgrade to the point I can wheel the snot out of it as well as run it back and forth to work when it is nice.

The plan
- Repair and paint frame
- Repair and paint body
- Build cage
- Rebuild engine
- clock Dana 300
- New belly skid
- Regear (4.88 I am thinking)
- 4.5" Extream duty lift
- Lock rear Dana 44

That is the jist of it with a few other items through in if the finaces hold up. Like upgrade to 44 front, and posible transmission upgrade. As this is my first attempt at a prodject like this I am sure it will take longer than planned but it has started anyway.

Here is what I got done today.
DSCN0286.png
Interior pulled
DSCN0285.png
Windshield frame off
DSCN0297.png
Front clip off

Here is some of the rust to be repaired
DSCN0293.png
DSCN0294.png

And I have one question so far. What is this??
DSCN0307.png

Sounds like a great plan! If that is all the rust you have then that isn't too bad at all.

I'm not familiar with that year CJ, so I'll have to let someone else chime in on what the last pic is - but I will venture a guess as something to do with the emissions.

just a guess but kinda looks like some vacuum solenoid that's not a whole lot unlike Mazdas older RX series use if I'm wrong someone will enlighten us. Oh and hope you enjoy the project, Just be patient.

Got a little done today. Seemed like a lot of work and little to show for it. Heater and ducts are out, steering column and pedals, master cylinder, and roll bar. Casualty of the day one torx bit. Had to cut off 5 bolts to get the seat belts and roll bar off.

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0322.jpg

Some more areas that are going to need to be fixed

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0321.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0323.jpg

Pulled the engine and the tub today. All but 2 body bolts came right out. Lifting the tub off was interesting it worked until I tried to set it down. Lost a strap and put my own dent in the tub under the drivers door opening. One more spot to fix. Going to leave the engine till my friend from NY can come down and help me tear it down. Need a reason to get him to make the trip :D. Need to build a cart for the tub and finish stripping the frame.

DSCN0326.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

And this little guy has been buy to help most everyday now

DSCN0340.jpg

Is that your very own gecko from Geicko checking out the dent you put in the tub? :p
looks like you have a good start on your project. What color are you going with?.

Haven't gotten a lot done last few days. Spent most of the weekend hanging out with the wife. Did get a little time everyday to tinker some. Most of the time was spent cutting out stuck bolts so not much to show for my labor. Got most of the brake and fuel lines pulled off the frame, fuel tank out and did a little grease removal.

DSCN0367-1.jpg

DSCN0368-1.jpg

Hope to have something more interesting Wed or Thursday.

Got the axles pulled off the frame today. Only a few more brackets to pull off then time to get hunting for the thin spots and start fixing. Found one spot right in front of the right front fixed spring hanger that is rusted through. The rest of the frame seems to be in better shape than I expected.

DSCN0382.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

I tried to get a picture of the rust spot, not real good, circled in red though.

DSCN0386.jpg

Hey IAFFCJ we are entertaining the thought of moving to Virginia. How bad would it be to get my CJ registered? Mind you no emissions ( everything removed by PO),or windshield but would want antique tags.

Hey IAFFCJ we are entertaining the thought of moving to Virginia. How bad would it be to get my CJ registered? Mind you no emissions ( everything removed by PO),or windshield but would want antique tags.

If it is the '76 CJ5 you are talking about you it would be exempt from the every 2 year emissions. It would need an inspection unless you register it antique. You must sign a yearly affidavit that states it meets or exceeded the safety levels of the year it was produced. Lets you get away with lap belts or no seat belts and stuff. Not having a windshield wouldn't slow you down to get is registered but could cause a problem if you try and run down 66 or 95:D. Antique tags also have a yearly milage limit you are only supposed to drive on them to and from shows, but I don't think they check to hard. Only problem I have had registering my CJ was that my VIN didn't exist in the DMV's computers took a little work but nothing crazy. Right now I am not able to pass emmisions visual so I decided to work on my restore untill I am exemp in 2011. There are 2 types of DMV offices in Virginia a regular one that does everything and licence offices that handle registration and tags. I would go to a licance office they are much less busy and the employees are more willing to work with you when you don't really know what it is you need to do. Which is my case most of the time.

Where abouts in VA are you thinking?

Powhanton or Chesterfield are the two main places we are looking, Kinda between beach and mountains.

Pulled the leaf springs off the Axles today. Had to do some house work first so not a lot of progress today. Also started cleaning up the frame and think I need a sandblaster wire wheels take forever.

DSCN0397.jpg

Seems that one front spring is 1 3/8 inches taller than the other 3. This seems odd to me. Anyone know if there would be a reason for this.

DSCN0398.jpg
DSCN0399.jpg

Must have had some kind of lift springs but not sure how big they where. Anyone have any Idea how tall a stock spring pack would be from the ground to the top of the arch if laid upside down?
Think this says Rancao can't quite make it out.
DSCN0400.jpg

Also had some shims that were on their last legs
DSCN0402.jpg

Felt like working on the jeep but also needed to do some welding practice before I start in on things I care about. So I found a good use for the stock bumper. Holding up my axles while I work on them while giving me something to build with my "new" welder. Still need some practice with the welder but it is coming along.

DSCN0405.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg

Just some practice welds

DSCN0407.jpg

Wow that picture came out like garbage. Note to self camera straight from air conditioned house to 100% humidity in garage makes for bad pictures.

Been trying to get some work on the jeep done last few days. As I work into the repair stage of this project I figured I should bone up on my welding skills so I have been practicing trying to get the hang of the welder that I have. I seem to be getting it just slowly. I never had much difficulty with the big Lincolns at my old job but this little flux core is much less forgiving. Here are some of my practice welds some are good others really stink.

DSCN0418.jpg

DSCN0419.jpg

DSCN0422.jpg

Finally ran out of wire so I got some work done on the frame. Removed the last of the Stuff. Bump stops, spring hangers, and all the small brackets and such were taken off. I cut down the broken bolts and ground them down ready to drill out. Ran a wire wheel over some of the frame and realized that this way will take forever so I called the sandblasting place in Manassas and asked for a quote. Guy said between $500 and $800 seem a little outrageous to me. Anybody know of somewhere besides Sandblast America in the NOVA area that may be able to media blast a CJ7 frame?

There is a shim of some sort behind the shock mounts also seems to be rusted to nothing. I am thinking of putting some Teflon between this and the frame when it goes back together and adding a drain hole in the bottom. Anyone see a problem with that? I am thinking it should keep the water from sitting and rusting.

DSCN0411.jpg

Looking great! Your working and that is good.

I'll start with the welds... It's a little hard to tell but I don't see any real penetration. I see mostly welds laying on top of the base metal and then a lack of fill at some spots. It looks like your heat isn't up and your wire speed is too slow in areas. It's hard to tell from the pics though (except for the 2nd - you were way off on your location).

Other wise - nice job... Practice is the only way to become better... Lay bead after bead after bead! Then take a BFH and break it apart! Look at the welds and see how you did. Do you have any tech schools around? Many have a quick class that you can take that will prep you and get you started... Well worth a few weeks of training...

I was able to get my complete frame sandblasted AND powder coated for $800... That price seems a little high to me. But, supply and demand dictates the cost.... :)

I don't see problem with the Teflon but I have to ask - why bother? It's not like a .010 shim behind a shock would make any difference. I'm not familiar with alter model CJ shock mounts so I could be mistaken.

Thanks for looking at my welds I can't seem to get any penetration. I have welded a little with mig at my last job but someone would set it up and let me have at some stainless, did quite a bit of TIG welding but I don't have a TIG and was only very good on Aluminum anyway. So all those welds were done with a Craftsman 115v mig welder running .30 flux core wire. At the top voltage setting (4) and wire speed of 6-7 (out of 10) I could make welds like the 1st picture which looked OK but still didn't penetrate. So I am trying to find a class that will help my learning curve. But any tips are always welcome.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom