Hmm upper shock bolt studs ???

Hmm upper shock bolt studs ???

khass0410

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
75 Jeep CJ5, 4.2L Straight 6, Dana 44 & 30? T30 TC? 3 Speed,
Are starting to be a pain in the flippin :D ........Anyways I now hate anything to do with suspensions I am running into problem after problem. So my deal is simply this I do believe that the threads on these studs are stripped ran out or what ever so this is what I'm thinking about doing. Cutting the studs close to the hanger frame??? and drilling a 1/2" hole all the way through buying a bolt that will go all the way through to be my new shock stud?

Anyones opinion will be AWESOME.

P.S. I don't have a welder or cutting torch so the possibility of me cutting them off and welding new ones on is not a possibility.

Attachments

• 20130414_214850.jpg
    20130414_214850.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 20130414_214911.jpg
    20130414_214911.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 20130414_214915.jpg
    20130414_214915.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 20130414_214921.jpg
    20130414_214921.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 282
Aside from some sort of a thread chaser, idk... Grinding them off an trying to get some kind of a bolt through there is an option I would explore IF the body was out of the way. If drilling those put could be avoided, I would find a way. But, then again, I'm not a machinist such as yourself! The ones on my 1980 were a lot different than what you have pictured, easier to replace.

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

I would run a Die over it and fix the theards, it would be the easy way to do it.

Aside from some sort of a thread chaser, idk... Grinding them off an trying to get some kind of a bolt through there is an option I would explore IF the body was out of the way. If drilling those put could be avoided, I would find a way. But, then again, I'm not a machinist such as yourself! The ones on my 1980 were a lot different than what you have pictured, easier to replace.

I would run a Die over it and fix the theards, it would be the easy way to do it.

Lol, not sure what I could make to take place of this but then again I don't have a way of getting off of my frame being that it's welded onto there.

I die never crossed my mind i'll give it a shot never really had much luck with them though I think I still have a kit somewhere.

Thank Yall :chug:

Yep a die would be way easier to do, given those tight quarters. A thread file may help if the initial threads are messed up and won't let you start a die.

Have not found a die set yet, I guess I threw mine out a while back but hopefully soon enough I will find one hopefully it works....

Anyone know the thread size on those studs?

:)As others have mentioned I would try and chase the threads with a die.............should be a 1/2"x20 thread......... although I have seen some that were 3/8"x 24 out on the end ........need to carefully check that out first.....also take a file and put a slight bevel on the end of that stud to help the die start before you try chasing it.......

Keep in mind you'll only get one chance at fixing that so don't get in a hurry and cross the threads on the way in....keep the die at 90 degrees to the threaded stud.

If all else fails the nominal OD size for 1/2" x 13 course threads is about .030 thousands smaller so as a last resort you could change it over to a course thread..............in either case put a good ny-lock type lock nut on there after your done.
:D:D:D:D

I agree. Most of the 1/2" stuff I've come across, at least on my 82, has been either a course 13 tpi or a fine 20 tpi. If your unsure, take the nut off the other side and take it along to the hardware store to check it's size and thread count.

What do you guys think about these? It will not let me save the pictures so here is the site.

WP Warrior Products Warrior Products Shock and Strut Mount - JCWhitney

I think this would work, but you are going to need some serious time with a grinder AND a drill with a steady hand to make it work.

I honestly think that you can just get a new replacement mount with a new stud intact from Morris or the like and take it to a welder. Just make sure they take the positive battery cable off and the total cost to remove and replace SHOULD be close to $100-150. Wouldn't take an experienced person more than an hour to complete.

My $.20...:chug:

I'm not understanding how that will solve your problem?

:)I'm with "Dog" ..........WHY?............easiest way to fix your problem has already been explained. Why cut a mount off if you do not need to?
That's only the last resort!

I'm not understanding how that will solve your problem?

It would replace the old mounts...My threads are pretty bad

I think this would work, but you are going to need some serious time with a grinder AND a drill with a steady hand to make it work.

I honestly think that you can just get a new replacement mount with a new stud intact from Morris or the like and take it to a welder. Just make sure they take the positive battery cable off and the total cost to remove and replace SHOULD be close to $100-150. Wouldn't take an experienced person more than an hour to complete.

My $.20...:chug:

Lol, thanks I have a lot of friends that are welders only problem there in San Antonio and i'm in North Texas, I just figured could grind it off and throw that one on there being that its bolt on and go not sure on all of the set up but does not seem like to much.

:)I'm with "Dog" ..........WHY?............easiest way to fix your problem has already been explained. Why cut a mount off if you do not need to?
That's only the last resort!

Lol, not sure a die is going to fix this problem although it did fix a different problem I had, I'm still going to try a die on the stud but the threads are pretty messed up, just looking at other possibilities on being the next easy way out.

If you have to cut the old ones off, why not just get a couple pieces of 2"(or the width of the frame) heavy wall square tube and drill a 1/2" hole for a bolt. If you cut the old ones off any welder should weld the new ones on for $25 or so.

If you have to cut the old ones off, why not just get a couple pieces of 2"(or the width of the frame) square tube and drill a 1/2" hole for a bolt. If you cut the old ones off any welder should weld the new ones on for $25 or so.

I can buy those from JC Whitney for $25 with free shipping and a 10% discount lol idk Finding a welder that will come to my house to do all this might be a little difficult lol I can't drive the thing without shocks can I?

The replacement shock mount I used for my 1980 was from Morris. If memory serves me correct, it was like $10. Easier than fabricating one, and it matches the others! Kinda... I would have WAAAY overengineered a replacement anyway!

As a side note, my frame was sitting on jackstands when this was done and it was welded on originally. I would try the die first and see if it will work. I would be willing to bet it would work well enough to get another nut on the stud; you won't be pulling that off but every few years anyway for replacing shocks. :chug:

Sure you don't need shocks to drive, just don't play hot rod.

The replacement shock mount I used for my 1980 was from Morris. If memory serves me correct, it was like $10. Easier than fabricating one, and it matches the others! Kinda... I would have WAAAY overengineered a replacement anyway!

As a side note, my frame was sitting on jackstands when this was done and it was welded on originally. I would try the die first and see if it will work. I would be willing to bet it would work well enough to get another nut on the stud; you won't be pulling that off but every few years anyway for replacing shocks. :chug:

I talked to Morris 4x4 on the online chat but they said they don't have what I need lol so I'll just do a little prayer to the Jeep God up there and cross my fingers that the die works.

Sure you don't need shocks to drive, just don't play hot rod.

lol, I didn't know that I also have my jeep up on stands under the middle of the frame and have not wanted to put it down till shocks were on cause I still have NO clue what i'm doing ha but i've made it this far and broke everything in my way so why not give her a try lol.

Thank y'all
:chug:

I talked to Morris 4x4 on the online chat but they said they don't have what I need lol so I'll just do a little prayer to the Jeep God up there and cross my fingers that the die works.

lol, I didn't know that I also have my jeep up on stands under the middle of the frame and have not wanted to put it down till shocks were on cause I still have NO clue what i'm doing ha but i've made it this far and broke everything in my way so why not give her a try lol.

Thank y'all
:chug:

khass,

:)Denton, Texas...........been there many times at the Peterbilt Plant......there are plenty of truck mechanics around that area. You need to find one.....the fix is easy even if a few threads are screwed up.......and as I mentioned earlier if the shaft is thrashed you can always go to a 1/2x13 course thread and save it. Even if you had to do all 4 it will only take an hour.
Get some help if your unsure how to do it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks