HEI replacement sparkplug wires

gert

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 1942 Willys slat grill
Any of you guys(or gals)replace their spark plug wires on their HEI AMC V8 with parts store wire set? I am wondering if I get the Chevy small block wire set if it will be long enough to work on my AMC360, I would assume so but thought I would ask first..thx

Be careful with those wires. Many of the no-name brands create lots of RFI that kills your radio reception and can give GPS and phone issues.
LG

Be careful with those wires. Many of the no-name brands create lots of RFI that kills your radio reception and can give GPS and phone issues.
LG

you have a set you reccomend?

lol its been a while since I've had a vehicle that has wires

I would suggest buying a set cut to fit.

Can't go wrong with msd wires I just installed a set on my 54.
I'll have to check tomorrow on what cut to fit brand I bought for my 79

DSCN3746_zps08a4f289.png

DSCN3754_zps95a324c0.jpg

I agree the MSD wires are top quality. Not cheap, but no regrets.

New guy here. Been working on a CJ7 that sat for 7 years, been going through a lot to get it going. Saw this post on the HEI wires, I just installed the HEI Dist from Summit and was told that I needed the larger wires to make the dist work best, so not sure if stock wires is a good idea. I put the MSD 8.something on and seems to be working great and it did come with the cutter/crimper tool and 1 extra wire for around 100.00 from Summit.

I do have a question on the HEI Dist, What is the best place to get the 12v for it? I was told that I need a 12ga wire to make it work best and the old coil wire is smaller, saw where some use the old coil wire through a starter solenoid, that seems to be a working solution but is it necessary?

Hope this was the right forum for that question

I have had good luck with Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro and the 10mm 409 wires. The 409 wires are solid core racing wires and will cause radio interference. The Spiro Pros won't, both have cut to fit sets with either straight and angled plug ends. I currently have a set of Spiros on the jeep.

Last edited:
I do have a question on the HEI Dist, What is the best place to get the 12v for it? I was told that I need a 12ga wire to make it work best and the old coil wire is smaller, saw where some use the old coil wire through a starter solenoid, that seems to be a working solution but is it necessary?

Welcome!!
Yes HEI requires a full 12 vdc to operate. Look for a 12ga red w/white tracer wire.

New guy here. Been working on a CJ7 that sat for 7 years, been going through a lot to get it going. Saw this post on the HEI wires, I just installed the HEI Dist from Summit and was told that I needed the larger wires to make the dist work best, so not sure if stock wires is a good idea. I put the MSD 8.something on and seems to be working great and it did come with the cutter/crimper tool and 1 extra wire for around 100.00 from Summit.

go with what Riversand is saying the main hot feed wire under the hood is a red wire with white tracer, i dont remember its gauge but thats the one you want to tap from

oh ya welcome aboard from Texas we would love to see all the pics you have in a build thread if you fell like sharing

Welcome!!
Yes HEI requires a full 12 vdc to operate. Look for a 12ga red w/white tracer wire.

Thanks for the response guys. Safe to assume a relay is not necessary as there was no comment on that? Also I'll have to look but I thought that red with white was on the always hot side of the Starter solenoid, I need the 12v to be on the ignition (key on) right? I'll take another look today and investigate it further. Thanks again guys.

The red with white tracer is a switched (ignition) main wire, which feeds other things that need a switched on power source under the hood. My wire loom under the hood has stripped of all unneeded wires for the small block, so I can't speak to your exact wiring situation. I have a solid red to the starter which feeds all of my always hot needs and a red w/tracer to the HEI. If you don't have wiring diagram I would get one, there are several sites that have them.

The red with white tracer is a switched (ignition) main wire, which feeds other things that need a switched on power source under the hood. My wire loom under the hood has stripped of all unneeded wires for the small block, so I can't speak to your exact wiring situation. I have a solid red to the starter which feeds all of my always hot needs and a red w/tracer to the HEI. If you don't have wiring diagram I would get one, there are several sites that have them.

Getting ready to get to all that as soon as I get my Honey do's done this morning :) I'll look at the wiring and check for that switchable source you are referring to, I do have a manual for the Jeep, it's a Haynes and Im not real happy with it, i need to get a chilton I think. Who ever was doing wiring on this thing did not not care about good routing and connections, and that rats had a good time on a lot of it, sitting on a 40 acre lot for almost 8 years took its toll also. Thanks for the input R&S.

go with what Riversand is saying the main hot feed wire under the hood is a red wire with white tracer, i dont remember its gauge but thats the one you want to tap from

Found that exact wire, it used to go to the old ignition box. I hooked it up and now im good to go. New Ignition Switch will be here today and I may get to putting it in, tired of grabbin up the needle nose pliers to start it :) . I took it around the horn after getting some wiring cleaned up and the CJ runs great, needs a new front driveline, its worn out where it slips in and out of it self between the yokes.

Thanks R&S and Gert.

Re: 80 CJ7 front driveline

So the front driveline needs replaced on this CJ as its worn out where it slips in and out of itself between the yokes, I don't know if the one in there is correct so I would like to measure it for the proper travel, I just don't know how to do that, is it a simple thing to do ?

Last edited:
Found that exact wire, it used to go to the old ignition box. I hooked it up and now im good to go. New Ignition Switch will be here today and I may get to putting it in, tired of grabbin up the needle nose pliers to start it :) . I took it around the horn after getting some wiring cleaned up and the CJ runs great, needs a new front driveline, its worn out where it slips in and out of it self between the yokes.

Thanks R&S and Gert.

Installed the new switch and for the first time since i've had this jeep (11 months ) I can start it with a key instead of needle nose pliers :)

Re: 80 CJ7 front driveline

So the front driveline needs replaced on this CJ as its worn out where it slips in and out of itself between the yokes, I don't know if the one in there is correct so I would like to measure it for the proper travel, I just don't know how to do that, is it a simple thing to do ?
Basically, measure from the center to center of the U joint. This is the measurement you will need to order a driveshaft from a place like Tom Woods
MeasDC_575x240.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks