Heater (Blower Motor) Wiring

Heater (Blower Motor) Wiring

musciab

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ 5, 6 cyl 3 speed, AMC 20 Rear, Dana 30 Front
Ok, finally got the rear end finished and need some heat for the winter. I have pulled the heter assy out of my CJ5 and took the motor off and tested it to make sure it worked. I added a pig tail to the only connector on the motor so i dont have to take the housing back out to get it wired up. I also added a ground wire to one of the bolts on the motor and will attach that somewhere.

Now my question....If you look at the pics attached i have a the 3 pronged resistor on my housing and what it looks to be the original connector from the wiring harness. Also i have what it looks to be the original connector for the blower motor switch from the wiring harness. For the resistor connector, there are 4 wires to it and the switch connector also has 4 wires. Where does my motor get tied into???? I have not checked to see if any of the wires h ave power bc my meter is acting up. If someone could explain what wire does what and what wire is supposed to hook up the motor, i would be most greatful. Thanks.

Your fan should have only one wire going to it. From your wires, it should be a lt brown/blk. Power goes from the switch, to the resistor, and then to the motor.

Your fan should have only one wire going to it. From your wires, it should be a lt brown/blk. Power goes from the switch, to the resistor, and then to the motor.

So can i splice into he lt brown/black wire or am i missinge something? If i splice into that wire wouldnt i bypass the resistor? Am i missing a connection coming from the resistor to the motor is my real question?

Based on my 75, I would guess your heater and your wiring harness have been upgraded at some point. The original (stock) would have been a 2 speed switch with the resistors built into it and the blower motor would have had 2 wires and a ground.

I just changed out my wiring harness to a new Painless harness and it was set up like yours for a 3 speed switch with a separate resistor unit.

Anyway, I used the attached wiring diagram to hook everything up and it worked out fine. I had a light brown wire marked heater blower on my harness that was in the engine compartment ( the later model CJ's the blower motor goes through the firewall) that I re-routed back into the cab and hooked up to the HI lead on my existing 2 wire motor.

Hope that helps some - Bill

Thanks Billy. i tried taking a look at this last night but wasnt able to due much. Tonight or this weekend i will get to it , hopefully. My wire colors dont match up to that diagram and instead of two wires coming out of one of the leads on the switch (im assuming 1 for the motor), my harness has them coming out of the resistor, which makes no difference according to your diagram. Now i have to cut all of the tape holding my harness together and try and trace the wires to find the missing open end that attahced the motor to everything else. Thanks for the help and let me know if you can think of anything else that may be of assistance.

Got the chance to get working on this over the weekend, thank god becasue its getting cold and wet up my way. Anyways, i ripped into my wiring harness and traced the swithc wires and the resistor plug wires to the correct places.....except for one of the wires going from the resistor plug that needed to be connected to my motor was taken directly to my bulk head. Upon further review, the bulk head wire went to an open wire just hanging in my around my engin. So what i did was clipped the wire near the bulk head and took it directly to my blower. To my suprise it still didnt work. Got my meter out and found that i had a bad connection at my fuse block. had to sand some corrosion away and now.......IT WORKS!!!!

Still need to fix it up a bit so it doesnt look like an amature did it (even though i am). Now question, is there supposed to be a hole in my firewall to connect the wire from my bulk head to my blower? I ask this becasue of the way it was set up and i found that the connector on the blower is now smashed against the firewall. If there is supposed to be a hole there how do i seal it up so i dont get water in it? Thanks for all the help guys.

Hmm, I just did the Blazer upgrade on my CJ7. If the 5 is like the there should be a big hole where the blower motor is and a smaller hole at about 4:30 to the first looking at the firewall from the front bumper. That is where the power for the blower motor goes with a quick connect. The motor should have a seal on it that includes a space for the small cylinder for the power connection. I'm guessing your PO may have installed the motor from a 7 and your 5 doesn't have the same hole. Can a 5 owner confirm / deny?

Thanks. The PO installed a new fiberglass tub and he told me that he just needed to connect the power to the motor. I didn’t know that the power wire came in from the engine compartment. This all makes sense to me now. I was on my way to work this morning and realized that my blower wasn’t working again and with the hurricane in our area, we got some snow. Luckily I only live 5 mins from work. I think my fuse block is a little corroded and with the cold, it just stopped. I have some fine sand paper that Im going to hit it with to make sure that’s all it is. Cross your fingers.

looking at that picture with the 3 wire plug, it goes on the outside of the upper housing, then on the inside is another plug receptacle, what plugs into it? I cannot find another plug to put there? it would be on the inside of the blower box ..

Hmm, I just did the Blazer upgrade on my CJ7. If the 5 is like the there should be a big hole where the blower motor is and a smaller hole at about 4:30 to the first looking at the firewall from the front bumper. That is where the power for the blower motor goes with a quick connect. The motor should have a seal on it that includes a space for the small cylinder for the power connection. I'm guessing your PO may have installed the motor from a 7 and your 5 doesn't have the same hole. Can a 5 owner confirm / deny?
this conversion is almost a "must do".. it makes so much difference, you won' believe you ever drove a jeep in the winter without it?

Yeah I was really happy with how it turned out. Only two things I noticed that were odd: Now my heater controls first position past off does nothing. The second puts out a really good amount of air and the third is tornado mode. Is that normal? The other is that while I have a 195 degree thermostat, the air coming out doesn't seem as hot as it could be. This might be due to the fact that it is blowing at 85mph but it seems like it should be warmer.

Yeah I was really happy with how it turned out. Only two things I noticed that were odd: Now my heater controls first position past off does nothing. The second puts out a really good amount of air and the third is tornado mode. Is that normal? The other is that while I have a 195 degree thermostat, the air coming out doesn't seem as hot as it could be. This might be due to the fact that it is blowing at 85mph but it seems like it should be warmer.

if your control is open all the way from cold to the hot side and your not getting much heat you may need a new heater core and make sure your radiator is circulating properly , I used the blazer motor swap and have new radiator and heater core and all hoses and have excellent heat of course mine was easy as I had the jeep disassembled but the difference is night an day with the heat now

Yeah I replaced the heater core while I was in there. The fluid seems to be cycling fine, it does get hot just not as hot as in most modern cars I guess.

Does everyone elses blazer motor have three speeds or is it just me?

Yeah I replaced the heater core while I was in there. The fluid seems to be cycling fine, it does get hot just not as hot as in most modern cars I guess.

Does everyone elses blazer motor have three speeds or is it just me?
mine has 3 speeds and the heat is as hot as any modern car , I have only used it a few times mind you as I dont drive it alot but the air is toasty coming out so far and mine is a 4 cylinder , and before I replaced everything I had no heat what so ever so maybe I am bias since it works so well now

Will wiring be the same if I upgrade the motor as I have a three speed fan that was stock in my 1979 CJ5 Golden Eagle?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

:ww: :dbanana:

With this thread being almost 4 years old. I would think you might get better response with starting a new thread on this.
Good luck,
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks