Harbor Freight Welder

Harbor Freight Welder

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
My next project has me learning to weld a bit. I will only be welding sheet metal like floor pans and replacement patches. I really cannot afford a top notch welder at this time. I only have 120 volt at my place as well. Harbor Freight offers a 90 / 120v flux core welder I can afford. Will I be able to accomplish my goals with a small unit like that? They also have a spot welder I was thinking about on top of it. Thoughts?

I started my project using a Chicago Electric Easy MIG (HF brand) that used only fluxcore wire and had two heat settings 45/65 (low and lower ;) ) but I quickly tired of that. Fluxcore wire on sheetmetal makes some messy welds and requires you to clean up the metal with a wire brush often, since with sheetmetal your not running beads but rather making a bunch of spot welds. So I bought a new welder from Northern Tool that used gas and had 4 heat settings. Still not top of the line but got good reviews in a Popular Mechanics comparison of some welders. It's a 135 amp unit that still uses 110v and will weld up to 1/4" metal, but worked great on sheetmetal. Using gas also lets you use the smaller .023 solid wire which requires less heat and helps avoid burn thru's. And it makes much nicer / cleaner welds. I did a ton of welding on my tub and it worked well. I believe you've seen my build thread.
img2531o.jpg

Klutch MIG 140SI Inverter-Powered Wire-Feed MIG Welder — Spoolgun-Ready, 140 Amp Output | Wirefeed Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

I know this is more than you want to spend and you will still need a bottle of 75/25 to go with it but this thing, IMHO, is the very most bang for your buck. the only problem I had with it is it was not made in the USA.

I did a lot of welding in my younger days this little guy is amazingly easy to set up and adjust. I have used the harbor freight flux core machines and they do work. the most aggravating thing is that the weld power is on all the time, the trigger just controls the wire feed motor.

This hard wire machine will let you make very passable welds with virtually no learning curve to speak of.

do yourself a huge favor and save a little bit more and make an investment. Did I mention that this thing makes a decent , timed plug weld ? that passes for a decent looking spot weld with a minimal amount of clean up.:cool:

While I haven't gotten a set of gauges and a bottle yet my suggestion is to get a MIG welder that can take gas. Flux core wire burns hotter that plane wire, while burn thru's aren't nearly as common with a MIG unit the will occur. Also and this is the most important thing that I just learned recently about flux core wire welds.

Something to consider. The flux is acidic and very difficult to completely remove. There are several sheet metal welds on my jeep that I simply can't keep from rusting even though I've used an aggressive wire wheel to clean things up before painting. Do yourself a favor and get a gas MIG.

Once you gain confidence with your welding it can become an addiction, a pleasure rather than a chore. Also remember, if you have 110v, 220v is in easy reach, literally just two 110v circuits in parallel running in one plug. My Pawn Shop Lincoln is a 110v machine and I love it.

There are some very decent reviews of the HF welders, so, again they aren't junk. You can often find then brand new on Craigslist. Most likely gifts that weren't good enough for the receiver. So, good deals can be had.

Last edited:
Hedge hinted in the direction I was going to mention. Check the classifieds for a mig welder. You'd be surprised at some of the deals you can find surfin' the net sources.

A 110V unit would handle body work metal, providing you have the regulator, hose and cylinder to go with it. Flux core is doable but I don't consider flux core wire for thin sheet metal. I use it for outdoor welding on 'bout the same metal I'd stick weld.

MIG is the easiest to learn of the different types of welding, and most forgiving. You'll be wishing you'd bought a 220V unit with a higher duty cycle sooner than you think (ask me how I know!). I have a bad habit of buying more than I need when I first get something. I'd rather be a little "over tooled" than having to buy another bigger one later.

Check out Jody Collier's site: Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

Subscribe to the site and you'll get weekly vids and tips concerning all forms of welding. Lot of stuff to learn on his site.

i hate 110 flux core. it looks terrible not great penitration and breaks easily. definitely get a mig more expensive but worth it. and if at all possible get a 220 or one for 220/110 don't forget you will still need a bottle and gas.
this would be ideal and you can use 110 now and 220 if you ever get the setup
FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Handler 210MVP (Multi-Voltage Plug) 115V/230V Flux Cored/MIG Welder — 140/210 Amp Output, Model# 500553 | Wirefeed Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

get the best one you can afford. look at miller hobart and lincoln.

MIG 175 Amp Welder with Spool Gun | MIG Welders | MIG 175 Welder ? Eastwood Welders

Been meaning to look into the one in the link above. Just haven't found out who actually manufactures their welders yet. Heck of a price for a 220V rig, though. Even includes a spool gun so aluminum welding is possible. Duty cycle matches "big" name brands for comparable boxes.

And to top it off, if you sign up for their email distribution list, you get 10% knocked off. Read on a welding forum that they are made in China (who wudda thunk?), but Eastwood claims to dictate the quality standard. Got a dang good warrantee and great reviews.

Yeah most likely it's another rebranded product. Their mig135 looks exactly like my Northern 135 except in black vs. the yellow.

Thanks guys. Looks like the consensus is save my pennies for a better one. I'll be checking Craigslist as well. Again thanks for all your comments :chug:

Thanks guys. Looks like the consensus is save my pennies for a better one. I'll be checking Craigslist as well. Again thanks for all your comments :chug:

(translation) " now I am really confused!":D

I have used the Harbor freight 110 Wire feed...... wow was it terrible. I fell into a Lincoln and love it but I'm sure there are better deals out there. you are making the right call by saving for a better one IMHO! Good Luck!

:)
Pete, A good welder is an investment that will pay for itself over time......and will always hold a good portion of it's original value whereby a cheap HF welder's value will always be determined by the next sale flyer.....

I have a Miller Tig, a Miller Bobcat and one of my favorites a Miller 211 MIG, The 211 in my eye's is the best small MIG machine out there.........dual voltage so it will go either 110 or 220........obviously at 110 the welding of thicker metal is restricted but there may come a time when you have 220 available somewhere else and then you can weld up to 5/8"..........very stable and welds like a professional machine , come's with a gas regulator all you need is a small bottle to go with it , and as far as flux welding there are sprays that you can shoot over the weld zone that no spatter sticks to also spot welding can be done with a standard MIG gun by just notching out the gas cup and holding the trigger for a second or so.............check it out and there on sale all the time.

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder Auto-Set with MVP 907422

:D:D:D:D

I agree, the 211 is a nice machine.

IMG_04791_zps259c1033.png

(translation) " now I am really confused!":D

Slightly , but not as much as you think. :) What Im gathering here is that a better Mig welder using gas shielding is the way to go instead of the flux. It should also make for cleaner prettier welds. :D

:)
Pete, A good welder is an investment that will pay for itself over time......and will always hold a good portion of it's original value whereby a cheap HF welder's value will always be determined by the next sale flyer.....

I have a Miller Tig, a Miller Bobcat and one of my favorites a Miller 211 MIG, The 211 in my eye's is the best small MIG machine out there.........dual voltage so it will go either 110 or 220........obviously at 110 the welding of thicker metal is restricted but there may come a time when you have 220 available somewhere else and then you can weld up to 5/8"..........very stable and welds like a professional machine , come's with a gas regulator all you need is a small bottle to go with it , and as far as flux welding there are sprays that you can shoot over the weld zone that no spatter sticks to also spot welding can be done with a standard MIG gun by just notching out the gas cup and holding the trigger for a second or so.............check it out and there on sale all the time.

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder Auto-Set with MVP 907422

:D:D:D:D

I was waiting for someone to mention a Miller cause alot of people believe them to be top of the line. Unfortunately that 211 is out of my price range for now. Once I get alot of practice and the kids are out of the house I'll definatly be spending some more cash on shop tools. If I can get a $600 one now and sell it for say $450 down the road thatd be great to upgrade. Right now I really only have to do sheet metal work. If it works out and I can lay some good welds I know I'll be looking to buy a tube bender , chop saw ... :D

I love that miller and cart. About 10 years ago I bought a Lincoln I think 125 off a friend that uses gas, and he upgraded to a miller. I do like my Lincoln for what I do with it.

I run a Lincoln 140 with optional has and I love it. Does everything you need to do on a jeep for a reasonable price. I've had great like with it and it welds easy.

Wooly

My first choice would have been a 220V miller or Hobart but for 120 wall tube and up to 3/16 the inverter power supply and rheostat amperage control made the Klutch 140 the most bang for the buck. :cool:

I picked up a Lincoln 140 from a welding supply shop for $500 about 10 years ago. It came setup for fluxcore but also included everything but the bottle for shielded welding. It cost about $100 more than the Lincoln 140 from Home Defect but there are big differences between them. First, the HD version uses aluminum conductors/internal windings and mine is all copper. Second, the HD unit has fixed settings for wire speed and heat and mine has rheostat dial type controls for more finite tuning.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks