Build Thread Father/Son Project in Orlando

Build Thread Father/Son Project in Orlando
We also had the first chance to do a quick mock up, as we will be sending the HEI off to Andy at Affordable Fuel Injection so that they can install a different chip into the unit and install the FI.
Thank you for the suggestions... we went with the Edelbrock Performer Manifold, 2131 (no EGR as suggested by Andy) and install it once I can get our act together and gather all the parts.
Keeping in mind that the engine only came with the block, crank, heads, and oil pan. Everything else is sourced out.

I'm trying to get a firm accounting of what pieces I'm missing still. Below are pics of the parts I still have to install.
I realize this is almost impossible to do, but please feel free to chime in and suggest parts that we are missing, or misplaced
In addition to what is pictured we also have:
1. All the gaskets
2. The stainless bolt set to dress the engine.
3. New flywheel

On the Table left to right first row:
1. rockers-We got them from Summit, but they didn't come with the nuts, they were pictured when I ordered them or am I missing something?
2. Pulley
3. Black pulley
middle row
4. Rods
5. Pulley
6. Pulley
7. compressor spring
third row
8. Is this the bracket for the alternator or am I missing the alternator bracket
9. Pulley on the Harmonic balancer

The following is what I have figured we are still missing:
1. Alternatorany suggestions for source or brand
2. HeadersWe could really use some suggestions in this area... Short/Long? color? type? brand? source?
3. AC Unit (if we eventually decide to add one)
4. water pump
5. oil pickup tube
6. clutch kit
7. Head bolt set
8. Heatshield/valley pan gasket and front and rear intake manifold gasket (curiously these didn't come the manifold intake gasket set I purchased locally)if anyone has experience with the heat shield please chime it... it took me by surprise because I didn't even know it existed until I watched a youtube video on how to replace the manifold
9. Valve coversPlease feel free to suggest chrome or aluminum... is it just a matter of looks
10. thermostat housing I'm not sure if this comes with the internal necessities
11. fan anyone have a source or suggestion, I have read my choices are electrical and clutch, but I have't had much time to do any research
12. radiator we would love some suggestions
13. Transmission drain plug (I stripped the two on there presently)
14. Oil drain plug
15. Fuel injection system w/complete system The holley carb we looked at was about $450, the aft is about $850
16. Air cleaner housing a source and what type I need with the AFI kit, although I have briefly read that any gm will work

If you guys are feeling charitable maybe you could look at the pics of the parts I have on the workbench and suggest where their proper location is. I can tell I'm missing some brackets but I have't figured out where everything goes. I'm not sure what pulley goes where. I also included a picture of the mounted kit I got from
If I'm missing something please let me know... it sucks to have a day off, get ready to make some progress and find out you are missing a gasket that will take 3 days to arrive.
Hopefully getting a proper inventory will allow us to make some more progress.

Last edited:
I also still have my entire 258cc sitting in the garage with all the accessories. If there is something I can source (brackets, power steering pump, alternator) from the old engine for the 360 please feel free to suggest.

thanks again

We got a chance to finish up painting the oil pan and the T176, which I should mention Jimbos76CJ was nice enough to look over with his transmission guy to make sure it is good to go.

We sorted out some of the questions...
Ordered the Alternator, but we are still looking for the Power steering pump and brackets.

The PS brackets seem to be the real problem... Just wondering why there seems to be readily found fabricators for amc parts, but no one seems to make the power steering brackets.

Other than my own project, this is one of the best builds on the internet. It reminds be how how my project with my dad started 10 years ago when I was 13 and started learning all of the skills I know today. Keep it up guys

Other than my own project, this is one of the best builds on the internet. It reminds be how how my project with my dad started 10 years ago when I was 13 and started learning all of the skills I know today. Keep it up guys

Thank you, that really means a lot to us. We hope this is something we can look back on and remember some great times. I look at the pictures of when we started 2 years ago and my son has changed so much. He's shaving now!
Do you have a link to your build?

Consider yourself blessed. I always had the dream of the father / son build. And when I redid the body back in 1996 I said that in another 15 year (the Jeep was then 15 years old) I would rebuild it and put on a fiberglass tub when my son could help, he was 4 then. Well 15-16 years later now I'm doing a total frame off rebuild and he's helped very little and has no ambition or interest to. And I try to never force my kid to do something I want him to do, he's his own person. Except for chores or course! ;)
But then, I work best by myself anyways.:cool:

I too would like to know, as no updates in 2 1/2 yrs and the OP was on 12-30-16.
Please bring us up to date.:notworthy:
LG

Ok guys... I feel like a total d!k, I have not kept you up on the going on and I am really, really sorry. A lot has happened since we last posted. I spent a year doing a fellowship training that had me tied up with very little time. We are still on it and making progress.

Harry, my father-in-law, (who genuinely liked) helped us put the engine together as best we could. Harry was an engineer and in his younger days know as a hot rodder and drag racer.

I really wanted to his help putting it together for the real reason as I wanted my son to be able to say that it was a project that his grandfather worked on. We were able to get it together, however something wasn't quite turning correctly. Sadly, Harry passed away last month after a long battle with cancer. He will be missed, but I can only hope that this project will mean that much more to my son, and his grandson.

The fact that it wasn't turning really bothered my, so I asked my buddy Jim (Jimbos76cj) to take a look at it. He was thought "ehhh, feels a little tight. Let me take it back to my place and take a look inside."

Luck would have it that when I was putting the crank shaft I must have nicked it causing a gash in the metal, that was actually rubbing against the bearing and digging into the metal.

Jim offered to get it squared away as I was obviously in over my head at this part of the build.

Last edited:
Until this point, I tidied up some of the body work.... I mostly done with my new found welding (un)skill.... I definitely wouldn't say skill. Maybe I would just say I sucked less than I did when I started. There wasn't ton of body work to do, but there was enough to keep us busy for a few months.

That first pic is an error... that was my Christmas present a few years back from my wife... nice thought but she hung a few items upside down. Can someone show me how to delete it?

Last edited:
I can't remember if I posted pics of the donor tub. We picked up a yj '95 galvanized tub and stripped it down, coated the inside and underside with carriage paint and POR 15, then when it was sticky raptor lined both sides

Beautiful motor shame to hear about your father in law, keep after it

We next got a rolling chassis.... Cooper ST 15 x 33s... I would have loved to gone old school chrome with white lettering, but my man likes matt black rims, no lettering on the tires. ... for a color we are going with Ford Mustang Deep Impact Blue.

Nick in the crank and the ruined bearing Jim found... thanks Jim, you are the man.

We picked up a couple of Islander doors off ebay... I think they were like $350, shipping included

Old radiator that took me 3 hours to separate from the grill... New aluminum radiator!

I answered a CL ad for a guy trying to get rid a YJ top, $100. I drove the $100 miles and bought what turned out to be a YJ top in great shape, except it had been stored in a body shop for the past 5 years and had all kinds of dust and grime into the fiber glass.

Beautiful motor shame to hear about your father in law, keep after it
Thank you, he was a good dude, AF vet, funny guy and always treated me like a son. I will miss him, but I'm really happy my son and I got a chance to hang with him those couple of days putting the engine together, even if I did jack it up. It's still part of the CJ's history.

Of course my son and I learned a bunch doing this, and we picked up a couple of tricks along the way.

The first is we can do a one man lift on the jeep with an engine lift and by bolting chains down to these points. I believe it is the front rear seat bolts and the front front seat bolts.

After we took the tub on and off a number of times to test the fitting of the new body mounts, I started to think that maybe we could get a winch and put it up in the rafters to lift the tub. I was planning on doing this any ways for the top.

We cut a hole in the ceiling, moved a light and bolted a pipe between the floor joists to hold it in place.

It worked like a charm. You can buy the lift from Harbor Freight ($100) and the pipe was like $8. If someone needs pics of how we hooked it to the ceiling joists let me know.

Next I needed to weld up and repair the holes in the body where I cut into the tub to replace the body mounts. I just wanted to make sure that before I welded everything back, the body mounts I fabricated would work and align.

We then finished stripping down the tub and getting rid of that coating on the bottom, welded everything back, painted and lined it with Raptor liner.

We also repaired a crack in the tub by where one of the seat legs had cracked the steel tub. I learned the technique on here, but forgive me I forgot from who to give proper credit. Drilled holes in the distal and proximal ends of the cracks and welded it back up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom