Electrical Dash electrical questions...Speedometer, Blower and Courtesy Lights

UncleMike

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ-7, 5L
Happy Thanksgiving Jeepers...had three questions regarding my dash/electrical rebuild:

1979 CJ7 - which speedometer is supposed to go in this? Mine has the 4x4 light and brake light. It doesn't work, so might have to replace after i test everything. When i search for 1979, all the parts sites pull up the one with the oil and temp lights, not the 4x4 or brake light. Which one should i have? I haven't yet traced all the wires, but since mine had been fiddled with by PO, wanted to see what SHOULD be in here. Trying to go as stock/original as possible.

Second question....rebuilding heater box and upgrading to blazer blower using tips i found here and a great rebuild thread elsewhere. Question is...will stock resistor work? Mine was rusted out, but found a replacement to match OE. Any other electrical issues related to hte upgrade?

Third...both foot well lights are shot. I would like to replace with the LED ones that look like stock like these. But...can't seem to find the connector anywhere...any ideas on what to search for? Seems to be the same light that fits a lot of Dodge trucks/vans and jeeps.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I have not yet identified diffs and T/C, but it is the 3spd. It is the 304 AMC. Is that enough to figure out what the speedo should have been? I do already have oil and temp gauges, so would rather have this one with quadratec and brake light anyway. How can i tell if this is the original or an aftermarket? Speedo works, but no lights and neither fuel nor water temp work...of course, ground was definitely an issue (2 posts rusted and two not even secured), so i plan to go through the tests and i understand that they can be rebuilt.

I acquired in last few months and just trying now to address the issues that the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts will fail on the inspection (lights, horn, etc...), but got into the dash (which led to heater, etc...) as a result of bad grounds.

I did find the blazer motor thread helpful, thanks! I found this thread on another blog that has an incredible write up on the heater that answers a few of the questions on the cj thread. Only thing i didn't find was the resistor question, so good to know that is ok. Was able to find all cables and most parts, so rebuilding both boxes in next week or so.
So...will crawl under to be sure, but pretty sure i have the Dana 20...it certainly isn't the quadra-trac. I think the PO put a random gauge in with quadratec light. My question (assuming it is hte 20)...is there an indicator light that can be wired to gauge to indicate 4x4? No too concerned, but see the speedhut gauge has a 4x4 light, so curoius how that all works....

UncleMike said:
"Looking to add a soft-top (have a hard-top with no doors) so i am hoping the extra heat will make this thing comfortable."

Yea. Mine had a hard top that I swapped for a YJ soft top and soft doors. I did the YJ top since I have a YJ "family style" roll bar. I also could no longer use the hard doors with my front windshield hoop. And I love the tinted windows.

I was only referring to the heater box cables.
Had a follow-up on the MTS cables. Wound up returning all the Crowns and getting the full 5 set from MTS...very smooth and heavy duty, so glad i did. Question on install...with the metal connector at box side, it doesn't "snap" right in like the plastic ones. Before I try to force it, wanted to see what others had done to get it to seat into the bracket. Seems like metal won't "snap" in like the plastic, so wondering if grinding out to get it to fit, then using a cable tie, wire or some other means of securing. Any thoughts?

I have the MTS cables (love them) but also had to file slightly (the metal part on the cable, not the brackets) to get them into the brackets. I didn't have to file much. Just a small amount did the trick. I try not to modify the "part of the Jeep" (brackets in this case) in the event I later replace with something else that may not fit after modification. So I filed the cable ends. Some trial and error to get a tight fit and no issues since (about 3-4 years now).

And here's a great post on changing the knobs if preferred. MTS Cables New Knobs

Thanks for that. One more question...i have found plenty of diagrams of the hard parts, but can't find anything that shows the various seals and gaskets between the main pieces. I have butyl rope for the heater box (metal to plastic housing), 1/2" foam for the penetrations through the firewall, and 1/4" foam for the valve doors, and have used 1" strip of black flex seal tape around the seam of hte air box (worked great and super secure after putting a little heat on it and massaging down). But...I haven't found diagrams that show gaskets between the air box and heater box, nor air box to body/vent on hood. These seem like logical places to use a gasket, but since i didn't see any in the diagrams, wanted to check and see if there was a reason NOT to cut some gaskets for these attachment points.

I have the MTS cables (love them) but also had to file slightly (the metal part on the cable, not the brackets) to get them into the brackets. I didn't have to file much. Just a small amount did the trick. I try not to modify the "part of the Jeep" (brackets in this case) in the event I later replace with something else that may not fit after modification. So I filed the cable ends. Some trial and error to get a tight fit and no issues since (about 3-4 years now).

And here's a great post on changing the knobs if preferred. MTS Cables New Knobs
I assume you just filed in the little "slot" that the bracket fits around? Any issues with the friction fit here? Did you secure them with anything else?

Yes, I filed in the slot with a small jeweler's type file that then "snaps" into the bracket's opening. I did not add anything else to secure them (zip ties, etc) as they stay put just fine. For gaskets, I used this write-up for tips and suggestions and making home-made seals: CJ Heater Box Rebuild

Also...for the MTS cables...do you lube/grease them prior to install? If so, with what? I posed the question to MTS but haven't heard anything back.
For anyone that is interested, i did hear back from MTS...teflon coating on cables and they advised against any lubricants. Now, just waiting on my original heater core to get recored at the radiator shop and get it all put back together.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks