Diff Dana 44 narrow track

Differentials
Diff Dana 44 narrow track
Help on the way, check your Conversations. I sent a message.

I talk with my friend @ Yukon. They do not stamp + or - codes on the ring gear. As or the slinger, if you did not have one you do not need to add it. It will not hurt or help to put it on and YES you you have to adjust for the thickness.

I was expecting a better pinion depth marking. I have looked both over and can't find any other marking. I have included pictures of the marking on pinion and ring gear. Yukon gear was recommended to me. Also I am still undecided about the oil slinger. Hope others will give some feedback Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20200924_175511.jpg
    20200924_175511.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200924_175313.jpg
    20200924_175313.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 17
I talk with my friend @ Yukon. They do not stamp + or - codes on the ring gear. As or the slinger, if you did not have one you do not need to add it. It will not hurt or help to put it on and YES you you have to adjust for the thickness.
Should I consider the pinion depth to be 2.403? Or just put the old shim thickness in and put the carrier in and start trying to adjust pinion depth by tooth pattern? Thanks for your help!

2.403? Not sure what you mean. That is a large number.

2 inches, 4 tenths , 0 hundreds and three thousands.

.2403 = two tenths, 4 hundreds, 0 thousands and 3 ten thousands. (about a quarter of an inch.)

Big difference in numbers.

I PM ed you my number. Can you call?

Is it normal to have .080 on the left and .075 on the right facing the rear in the carrier? This is a open carrier. I've got a new shim pack coming, I did not have enough shims and was reusing an old one. Once I have a new set of shims in I will post pictures. Thanks

.0800 and .0750 are perfectly acceptable. Each gear set and carrier are unique.

New question. Does this model Dana 44 have oil seals in the differential housing? If so do you have a part number? Getting a housing that had been already disassembled is a pain if your new to axles like I am. Thanks for your help!

New question. Does this model Dana 44 have oil seals in the differential housing? If so do you have a part number? Getting a housing that had been already disassembled is a pain if your new to axles like I am. Thanks for your help!

I don't have my manual with me, but if memory serves me correctly, there are no inner seals on the rear Dana 44. I think there are only outer seals at the ends of the tubes.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks