Diff Dana 44 narrow track

Differentials
Diff Dana 44 narrow track

saltwatertaz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 cj5, 304
Guy, I'm rebuilding a1977 CJ5. I need to replace the AMC20. I have found a Dana 44 narrow track. The Pinon is pitted but the housing looks good. I'm not a axle guy, but pretty handy mechanically. Is there anthing special I need to know when I buy the ring gear and pinon? Hope there is a good video on how to adjust the backlash. Thanks for your help!

It's a matter of more then just setting backlash. You have pinion depth, pinion pre-load, backlash and pattern marking. It's not hard but can be frustrating.

You may need a case spreader but they can be home made. You definitely need a torque wrench both foot pound and inch (for bearing pre-load), marking grease, calipers or micrometer (to measure shim thickness) and a MBI (magnetic base indicator) for backlash. To properly put carrier in and out a case spreader is best but you can get by without it (also makes setting carrier bearing drag easier.). Also need a shim kit with new bearings. And last that is really handy is a press for bearings.

Dana shims go on the inside of the race so to set pinion preload and depth as well as backlash you sometimes have to press the bearings on and off several times. I have a trick in the resource section on how to make some removable bearings (works or pinion bearings also) to eliminate the repeated pressing on and off if you don't get it right the first time. Link -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/resources/diff-bearing-set-up-tip.6/

New gears should have markings to get you started on what shims to use.

Make sure you mark the caps so you replace them the same way they come off (they are line honed.)

Good videos here for setup.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Case spreader videos.

Hey thanks for all the info, I will probably be asking for guidance later. I do not have a case spreader, but have everything else you mentioned. Have a prety good fab shop so maybe I can build a case spreader with some guidance. I will take my time and try to do it right. I'm interested in the removable bearing idea. I appreciate your time!

If you have a pretty good shop and you can weld you can easily make a spreader. The last two videos give you a good plan. The big thing with the spreader is do not open the case up more than a few thou or you can spring the case. Just enough to allow you to wedge the case out and dead blow hammer it back in is all you need.

As for the bearings, as long as your old ones are not damaged they will work great to get your shim correct.

Can't wait to see this get started.

Here’s my home made spreader. You are welcome to borrow it.

Attachments

• DDA418E5-45AB-47A3-9E06-22A7F2EA1D51.jpeg
    DDA418E5-45AB-47A3-9E06-22A7F2EA1D51.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 35
Here’s my home made spreader. You are welcome to borrow it.
Thanks, I'm kind of funny about borrowing items. Try not to, but I appreciate the offer. I will probably build one. I like the looks of yours. I might just buld one like it. Thanks again!

Hey, why not take Patrick up on the offer? At least you can see what he has done and make your own... :) :chug:

Lol

He can borrow the idea from the picture, but heck, he can borrow the tool if he needs it!

Hey I appreciate the offer,but I 've already got the all thread flat bar and pipe that just fits over the all thread. I'll have it built before I could handle the shipping. Thanks again!

Great :chug: Take lots of pics during construction and post them for us (if possible.) It would be a great addition to our resource section as well. If you have some dims that would be nice too, even a pic of hand made ones.

Have fun.

Read up carefully about that rear end, You really need to nail the installation or it will wear out quickly, There is probly no better diff than a Dana 44 for a jeep, and set up properly they last forever.

I plan on a four inch lift, so l'm going to need advice on how to best align the drive train. Pinion angle and transfer case height. Thanks for all the support!

Better plan on double cardigan driveshafts or you'll eat joints
check out Tom Woods driveshafts

I plan on a four inch lift, so l'm going to need advice on how to best align the drive train. Pinion angle and transfer case height. Thanks for all the support!
Although mine is an 80 with a BDS 4" lift, the diff has 6 degree shims under springs and a 1" TC drop with a TW double cardan driveshaft. Has no vibration and runs smooth at 60 mph. I tried to run single cadan shaft but it did have abit of vibration, I didn't think it was that bad until replaced it the double cardan.

Thanks for the replies, I will check out the woods driveshaft. I am having to take time away from project. I have brought a truck load of ice and gas to my daughter's house. She has a generator but several neighbors don't. So the generator we brought is being shared. Sally did a number on the coast here! Thanks for the replies!

Yes Sally hammered that area. We were in the cross hairs for a few days and then got lucky here with that one and a couple of others.

I'm getting ready to install the pinion. The Yukon kit has a .030 slinger that Yukon says should go between the pinion and inner bearing. When I disassembled the old one there was not a slinger there. What is the opinion or what am I missing. Also the pinion depth was not very readable on the pinion head. It appears to be 403. The old pinion had 2.67 on it. When I measured the depth to top of pinion to center line of the bearing I got the measurement of 2.7. The old pinion had .035 of shims. Do I put the slinger in and only put .005 shim behind the race? Thanks for all help!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks