Build Thread Custom Jeep CJ Truck Build

Build Thread Custom Jeep CJ Truck Build
Well just another step toward building the Custom CJ Truck yesterday. I sold my CJ7 Hardtop, seats, and rear OEM tire carrier. No looking back now (like I was anyway)!

Great thread!

Can't wait to see it done man!

:chug:

Great thread!

Can't wait to see it done man! :chug:

Thanks. I've gotten stalled a little bit here, but will have a good bit of time in the next couple of months to work on it. My plan is to have it drivable by next summer or before. I'm sure I will want to continue to add options to it after that.

The truck bed is what I continue to work on. Lots of welding and grinding. By using a used rusted bed I need to put more time and energy into it, but a lot less money. $150 for the bed compared to $1200 for new parts. Recessing the fenders turned out to be a little harder than I expected, but it's getting done.

WP_20160806_002_zpsyspujcme.jpg

A few more welds and some more grinding and I'll be able to turn it over and start on the underside. I haven't decided yet if I want to have it sand blasted or just try to get all of the rusted areas repaired myself, as most of it is just surface rust. Stay turned for that part! :chug:

Have I mentioned yet that I'm jealous? :D You're going to be done so much faster than I am, it's unreal.

As far as the surface rust goes - have you considered using a spray-on rust converter? It chemically treats rust, and basically turns it into a primer. I've used it with great results. Then you can spray your epoxy primer over it and be good to go. Just a thought!

Have I mentioned yet that I'm jealous? :D You're going to be done so much faster than I am, it's unreal.

As far as the surface rust goes - have you considered using a spray-on rust converter? It chemically treats rust, and basically turns it into a primer. I've used it with great results. Then you can spray your epoxy primer over it and be good to go. Just a thought!

I've already used several of the Eastwood products on the frame when I did that. So far on the bed I've used Phosphoric acid on the surface rust in several places. I've just been tossing around the idea of sand blasting instead of treating it myself this time. We'll see how the money goes. :D

Bought a few things over the holidays for my project. Just little stuff as I have acquired all of the major components. Needed some windshield hinges, rear drum brake hardware, plastic hole covers for the windshield frame, and a little bling! A chrome steering wheel cover from Kentrol.

WP_20170107_001_zps2vvoxyij.jpg

Also bought a box of stuff from Eastwood:

WP_20170107_003_zpsvunmw4e0.jpg

Now to get the garage picked up and get back to work on the Truck bed!

It ain't no thing without a little bling...

It ain't no thing without a little bling...

It's definitely going to have some of that in the right places. I wanted a set of Kentrol Windshield hinges, but the are just too darn expensive, and I refuse to buy the cheep ones in chrome.

Since I had a problem with the Hamburger Tail Lights, I went to a set of 6 inch oval LEDs. They will have a Chrome ring around them. Clear set for backup lights too.

It's definitely going to have some of that in the right places. I wanted a set of Kentrol Windshield hinges, but the are just too darn expensive, and I refuse to buy the cheep ones in chrome.

I pulled mine off this past year and replaced with black. I can pull them off the shelf and take some pics for you. And then you can tell me if you want them.

Yes I would be very interested in them. Rod

Not great, but not horrible. One hinge has some marks where I had to grind the heads off of 2 bolts. Not sure if it can be polished out. But if you want to try, they are yours. I have both mirrors by the way.

ddabfe13b278450e998426555438f521.jpg

7c1987dc22a5d4f50fe66574115127eb.jpg

1773f6abb4211005e0d29a3dc1343376.jpg

I'm pretty sure I could polish most of that out. What do you want for them? How can I pay you? My information is:

(Removed address for your personal privacy - suggest private messaging those details ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure I could polish most of that out. What do you want for them? How can I pay you? My information is:

(Removed by JR)

I can put it in a flat rate box and you pay shipping? Do you want all or just the windshield hinges?

Last edited by a moderator:
All would be great. Let me know the total and where to send the money. Thanks! :banana:

Since a couple of those pieces of bling need a little polishing, how bout bead blasting it all? Every other stainless piece ever made is polished - a nice satin finish with be different..... just throwin that out there.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since a couple of those pieces of bling need a little polishing, how bout bead blasting it all? Every other stainless piece ever made is polished - a nice satin finish with be different..... just throwin that out there.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that would be an interesting look, I work in an industrial plant so I see the raw and bead blasted look everyday

Not great, but not horrible. One hinge has some marks where I had to grind the heads off of 2 bolts. Not sure if it can be polished out. But if you want to try, they are yours. I have both mirrors by the way.

ddabfe13b278450e998426555438f521.jpg

7c1987dc22a5d4f50fe66574115127eb.jpg

1773f6abb4211005e0d29a3dc1343376.jpg

You can't beat that deal !

This is awesome I've been mulling over a cj trick for a while and been searching but came up with nothing. Then this thread just popped up. I'm planning on a similar build with a short bed and full cab. I'll be watching yours though.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks