Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod, CJ7 Steering Linkage

Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod, CJ7 Steering Linkage
Speed-Can you inspect the TR for what may look like a 'hit' from a a rock or such?
FWIW: That TR is not a deal breaker if all else checks out. ;)
How's about given us more details on your find?
LG

If the flip was done with inserts then you could potentially remove the inserts and install new ones from the bottom up to move the TR back under. But having it high is better to avoid smashing it.

Wooly

The find so far; CJ7, AMC360, T176, Dana300, Dana 44 front and rear, fairly clean frame and body. Suspension seems to be 2.5 with an 'ugh' 3" body, rolling on 35's. Eventually I'd like to drop the 3" body and increase suspension lift, either keep it SUA or go SOA. No plan to go taller than 35's. I wanted to get some feedback to make sure I'm not stepping into a problematic front 44. This steering geometry has my mind spinning. Thank you for all the comments.

Last edited:
Do you have any SMOG issues to be concerned with?
Have you been able to drive it?
How's the 'rust-issue'?
LG

As Lumpy asked have you taken it for a drive? If it drives ok down the road I would not worry to much about it. IMO

I may have identified the Tie Rod and Dana 44 roots. Found these IH Scout II Dana 44 photos. The Tie Rod is a match.
Now there's the Scout axle castor question.
Thoughts...

Attachments

• 472-1.jpg
    472-1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 472-2.jpg
    472-2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 472-3.jpg
    472-3.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 373
Can anyone tell me what is attached to Speed's shackles? It almost looks as if there are snow plow attachments connected to the inside of both shackles, which appear to be welded, and the shackles wouldn't be able to move! Or is it just too early in the morning, and my eyes are not focusing yet? :eek:

Can anyone tell me what is attached to Speed's shackles? It almost looks as if there are snow plow attachments connected to the inside of both shackles, which appear to be welded, and the shackles wouldn't be able to move! Or is it just too early in the morning, and my eyes are not focusing yet? :eek:
Bass, I am thinking tow bar attachments, as on my spring shackles.

Hey Guys, I had to create a new account because I couldn't get logged back in, even after several password resets. This appears to be an ongoing problem here, frustrating.

Here's two photo's showing the tie rod end on each side. Tie rod is mounted on top. I agree with Lumpy Grits, the bends do appear intentional but still weird. Woolyworm mentioned the arm may have been drilled for a top mount. If this was done are new arms need to put in a straight bottom mount tie rod?

I appreciate everyone’s input on this steering linkage issue. I haven’t pulled the trigger in making this CJ mine yet but I’m really close. It’s got the heavy hardware I’m looking for, I just want to know what I’m getting into here as I’ve never seen a tie rod like this. Also, no steering stabilizer, sloppy steering.

It's a Dana 44, I guessing from a wagoneer, CO/PO has no input. Five bolt lug pattern.

…I plan to redo the front shackle/leaf extensions off the frame. They are very robust just not as clean as I’d like to see them.

:)

These pictures are a little better but still not really able to see what is going on there...........First off the tie rod looks to be bent.........(Note:Take a look at Torx steering with the split Y tie rod end......this is a more conventional steering setup with the Drag Link in front of the tie rod the way it should be.)

In conventional front shackle steering the Drag Link must be in front of the tie rod for two reasons.......1) because the axle is moving forward under compression and most importantly 2) Is the steering arm ratio whereby the distance from the sector shaft on the Pittman arm to the Drag Link as compared to the distance from the center of the spindle to where the drag link attaches at the steering arm both have to be near equal distance's.......if not you will loose steering turn radius and also if its short at the spindle you will also loose leverage to turn the wheels.

Some better pictures would be helpful looking more closely at the spindle connections...........Good Luck on the purchase.

:D:D:D:D

Do think that "Speed" found the ans. :chug:
--------------------------

That rigging on the front bumper is for a tow-bar. Hope it's included with the Jeep.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks