Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod, CJ7 Steering Linkage

Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod, CJ7 Steering Linkage

RotateSpeed

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ seeking
Hello, new to the forum and seeking out my first CJ. I’ve located a clean 85 that has my serious interest. It has a Dana 44 front that has me stumped. The front leaf hangers have been relocated to the outer frame. I’ve researched this mod and I’m comfortable there. It’s the steering linkage, tie rod specifically that has me stumped. It’s not the typical straight tie rod, it’s curved or should I say contoured in shape. The geometry seems odd. I’m looking to see if anyone has seen one of these and can share their knowledge/input. Thank you.

Attachments

• Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 1.jpg
    Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 468
  • Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 2.jpg
    Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 3.jpg
    Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 381
  • Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 4.jpg
    Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 5.jpg
    Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 5.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 289
The tie rod shouldn't be like that. I'm not even going to try to guess why it's like that. It should be straight. Some times they bend them at the factory to get around the gear cover but this doesn't seem to be the case.

:agree: Kind of looks backwards in design, if it even is by design. Seems to deliberately put the linkage in harms way on the trail. I would replace it with a correct linkage.

Agreed - looks odd for sure. Is it mounted on top of the steering knuckles or in the factory position below them?

Wooly

That looks to be a wagon tie rod they have a bend in them, but that one looks like it got hung up on a stump and bent out of proportion and mounted on the bottom of the knuckle arm.

DSCN1939.png

Top one is a wagon TR

DSCN1936.png

DSCN1946.png

:)
Normally you will see the Drag Link coming from the Pittman Arm in front of the Tie Rod not behind it..........the PO has it reversed for some reason..........

The front axle with forward mounted shackles under compression will move forward up to .750"...........hence the reason the Drag Link normally gets mounted forward since it's stationary to the frame. As opposed to the Tie Rod being fixed to the axle and traveling with it............

I would be more interested in seeing pictures of the spindles and steering arms which will probably lead to the reason why it has a strange steering configuration.

:D:D:D:D

:)

I would be more interested in seeing pictures of the spindles and steering arms which will probably lead to the reason why it has a strange steering configuration.

:D:D:D:D

Agreed. It almost looks like it on top of the arms but hard to tell from photos provided.

:ww:

That setup is fine. Very heavy duty, and those bends are there to give the Pittman Arm room to swing.
Confirm that T-rod is solid bar and not hollow tube.
LG

Lumpy - are you sure your looking at the OPs photos and not Posi's?

Wooly

Lumpy - are you sure your looking at the OPs photos and not Posi's?

Wooly

YES-Please enlarge each pic of the OP's and I think you'll see what I'm see'n about the clearance deal.
Those bends are to equal and uniform, IMHO to be from an impact. I wonder if the T-rod should be turn'd up 180*??????????:confused::confused:
Sure wish I could do a 'hands-on'.
LG

Last edited:
Still looks really weird to me - looks like it's at 45 degree angle from about the steering box up towards that daylighter.

Wooly

Still looks really weird to me - looks like it's at 45 degree angle from about the steering box up towards that daylighter.

Wooly

Agree-Those bends were put in by a tube bender and both sides look the same. :confused:
LG

And it looks like it's on top of the steering arm which is causing such a dramatic bend perhaps????
eabbaa7e8913fe73f58019c88642ab9e.jpg

Wooly

Like maybe they drilled the arms to put it in top and then realized it wouldn't fit under the steering box etc.

Wooly

img_0771__2.jpg
Here is a pic of my setup that seems to work quite well. As I recall, it was made from either a Blazer or Bronco including the pitman arm:

Wooly-That's a very good point.
Till we see more pictures-I'm kinda lost....
LG

img_0771__2.jpg
Here is a pic of my setup that seems to work quite well. As I recall, it was made from either a Blazer or Bronco including the pitman arm:

Very nice! :notworthy:
How much are you run'n in lift?
LG

I can see the OP has the TR mounted on top of the arm. One bend belongs the other bend to the driver side does not IMO.

Posi-You may well be 'rite'. :notworthy:
LG

Hey Guys, I had to create a new account because I couldn't get logged back in, even after several password resets. This appears to be an ongoing problem here, frustrating.

Here's two photo's showing the tie rod end on each side. Tie rod is mounted on top. I agree with Lumpy Grits, the bends do appear intentional but still weird. Woolyworm mentioned the arm may have been drilled for a top mount. If this was done are new arms need to put in a straight bottom mount tie rod?

I appreciate everyone’s input on this steering linkage issue. I haven’t pulled the trigger in making this CJ mine yet but I’m really close. It’s got the heavy hardware I’m looking for, I just want to know what I’m getting into here as I’ve never seen a tie rod like this. Also, no steering stabilizer, sloppy steering.

It's a Dana 44, I guessing from a wagoneer, CO/PO has no input. Five bolt lug pattern.

…I plan to redo the front shackle/leaf extensions off the frame. They are very robust just not as clean as I’d like to see them.

Attachments

• Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 6.jpg
    Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 6.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 7.jpg
    Curved Dana 44 Tie Rod 7.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks