Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
Eng: I6 one-barrel 258 cu in (4.2 L)
Trans: T18
T-case: D20
Axles: D30 (F), D44 (R)
Looking for some help finding a steering knuckle. After some suspension work, I noted a crack on the end of my passenger-side steering knuckle, specifically the end nearest the drag-link-to-steering-knuckle hole.

Searching around for a new passenger side steering knuckle for my rig is proving unproductive at best.

Does anyone know:
1. Where I can get a new knuckle for this beast?
2. Should I upgrade (to what)?
3. Can / Should I just repair this? If so, how?

Thanks everyone!

PS - if anyone can let me know why my attachments always show up sideways or upside down, it'd be appreciated. :confused:

Attachments

• passenger_steering_knuckle.jpg
    passenger_steering_knuckle.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 202
Welp, I believe that's enough said. Thanks Lumpy.

I'll hit up J&W for the part.

JM

I'd like to know why it cracked?
LG

I'd like to know why it cracked?
LG

You and me both, Lumpy. Maybe we can brainstorm outloud here a bit?

It (along with the rest of the Jeep) is in great shape -- no real rust, dents, dings, etc. I've had it for a couple years, never noticed the crack before BUT I'm not saying it wasn't there all along. I'm in the middle of installing Rocky Road Outfitters' CJ-to-YJ leaf spring conversion kit. I'm using their 3-3.5" HD lift with a SUA setup.

With that background:

Possible drag-link alignment issue?
Old age got to it?
Manufacturing defect?
Over-use / abuse?

Given the spot where it's cracked (i.e. the head of the "U" shape and on top of the arm), maybe the steering was tweaked hard at one point? (Note: nothing I've driven it on/over could have caused that -- unless a defect was already present.)

I've never had it above 40 mph. It's pretty...sporty after that. The steering needs tightening up for sure. That's my next project after this: figure out and fix the so-called death wobble. Over the last two years, I've probably put about 500 miles on it. I use it mostly off road, nothing crazy but still rocky areas that require some crawling.

IMO/SWAG the crack came from the nearest hole.
Either the ball-mount was loose or the wrong shaft taper.

LG

I'd guess a loose ball-mount. That's automatically giving credit that the drag-link end was/is the correct one.

How can I determine if the shaft taper is correct?

Really can't tell with that crack. ;)
Easy to CK fit with the new knuckle.
:chug:
LG

I doubt you will find one new, but there should be tons of them available used. Most any jeep junk yard will have them. Since those parts are changed out for disk brakes you might find one on Craigslist. It really a part that wears out, being that ball joints and end joints do all the moving. ..... this could be a good time to upgrade to disk brakes.

Hard to tell from that picture........unless you pull the tie rod end out and see if the crack extends inside the tapered bore......almost looks like a factory casting flaw?.............may be able to save that by boring the hole out and inserting a tapered sleeve back in there and welding it all back up...........

..... this could be a good time to upgrade to disk brakes.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing. But, I already found a knuckle at the J&W link that Lumpy provided.

I am tempted though...definitely will come up again at the next brake pad change. :D

Hard to tell from that picture........unless you pull the tie rod end out and see if the crack extends inside the tapered bore......almost looks like a factory casting flaw?.............may be able to save that by boring the hole out and inserting a tapered sleeve back in there and welding it all back up...........

Thanks for the advice, tarry99. Given that this is a single point failure, aka the ONLY link to the steering box, I'm of Lumpy's mindset to just replace it.

Thanks everyone! :chug:

Just saw this, I'm sure I have a few Dana 30, Dana 44, and Dana 44 flat top knuckles in my parts bin. Just in case someone needs them down the road.

Mars - Let me know what you think of the kit - I did the same if you get stuck somewhere I can try to lend a hand.

You'll want a good sway bar for the front. Piked mine up from Amazon.

Do the tie rod flip too - goferit or something like that. let me know if you want me to find the link (it's also in my build thread too i think in my signature).

If i remember right, the rear springs are directional, meaning center to end has a 1" difference (leaned that the hard way).

I think shocks and shock towers for front needed modification.

I replaced all supplied bolts with grade 8 I believe...

Sure there was more, but those were important I remembered, in case the instructions still are not top notch or you get stuck...

Thanks JR. Nice looking Jeep you've got there.

I was wondering about a front sway bar. I was getting the impression that, for mostly off-road use, they're not needed or wanted.

I've already got the RRO kit installed -- I'm keeping a SUA setup. The springs threw me for a loop when I got them. All those markings on them and no direction for what/why. Calling RRO and EMU (and reading forums), it turns out that the arrows on the springs point to the frame mount. The springs have different hole sizes on either end. I've got the larger diameter holes on the frame currently.

Now that you mention it, my rear wheels are pretty far forward now. Granted, when compressing, the wheels won't be moving forward. Just up and back, due to the hangers being in the rear. But it does seem the wheels are a bit too far forward... I'll have to do a side-by-side before/after comparison of some photos when I'm finished.

Other than what may come of this, the front shock towers were okay. The rear top strut tower is in slightly more than the lower (connected to the U-bolt skid plate).

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks!

I do always disconnect the sway bar off road. If, however, you're planning to drive your rig at all at higher speeds on the streets, I would highly suggest the sway bar.

You can make or buy quick disconnects for it. I made mine out of old shock eyes and all thread with a couple cuts and welds...

That's what got me too... My back is all screwed up right now, but if I can get under the jeep tonight, I'll try to get you the orientation / measurements from mine how it sits now.

Hallo,
i have a hard time finding a passenger Side Knuckle for my 86 CJ7
I Did a frame up and I am done sofare but the steering was/ is a left over. Now i want to upgrade the steering and found out that there is no Knuckle out there I can get.
Does anybody have access to a Knuckle passenger side Dana 30 wide track.
or an idea where to find one.

Thanks

Attachments

• 100_4951.jpg
    100_4951.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 84
Wish I could help.:eek:
I will say this-STOP DRIVING IT, TILL FIXED.
Where is the crack located in the knuckle? :confused:
Get in touch with Posi--

LG

There are a lot of Jeep junk yards across the US, I have one 5 miles away I'm sure you should be able to find one.

Many Thanks for your advice, but I am in Germany, and here you will not find any jeep axle knuckles.
This is why I asked for. And on ebay there is no offer.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks