cj7 reverse shake.

cj7 reverse shake.

mod016

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj7
my 1981 CJ7 wants to hop in reverse. feels like the jeep is gonna shake apart.
is this a clutch problem or something else?

Mine does the same thing but is most prominent when trying to back up a hill. I replaced the transmission and engine mounts which seemed to help a bit but didn't completely resolve it. It also shakes when taking off in 1st gear but usually only when it's cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirm you NOT in 4WD.
What's in the rear diff?
Get under your Jeep with some wrenches and start ck'n everydangthing.
Check your engine and tranny mounts.
LG

Confirm you NOT in 4WD.
What's in the rear diff?
Get under your Jeep with some wrenches and start ck'n everydangthing.
Check your engine and tranny mounts.
LG

And check the driveshaft u-joints. Another possibility could be the front driveshaft angle with a high lift suspension. This could also relate to an improper camber angle.

If all your mounts are good I’m calling bad clutch or burnt flywheel

When did you last lube the both drive shaft u-joints, and slip splines?
Look for ANY play/slop in each u-joint.
LG

Commonly reffered to as "clutch chatter". I have it. Multipule things can cause this. Loose mounts engine to trans, oil or contaminent on fly wheel, burnt clutch (guilty). I had some issues with engine performance and I wound up scortching my clutch. Replacement and refacing the pressure plate flywheel should fix it along with fixing my rear main oil leak. So youra is probably some or one of the above. LG makes a good point as to varify you're not in 4x4.

no its not in 4 wheel drive. i started pulling apart and everything seems to be tight. have not got to the clutch area yet.this weekend i will have time. thanks for the info

well im pretty sure clutch is wore out. everything seemed to be tight all the way through disassembly. any recomondations on a new clutch. i have 35" tires. not much wheelin more cruisin with the wife and kid. lookin for a good quality clutch.
some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, so you are running 35's, for complete disclosure tell us about your lift. Did the shake just show up or has the CJ always had the shake?

Clutch test-
Start engine and with foot on brake pedal. Put into first gear, slowly let the clutch pedal out. Does the engine 'die'? If it does-Your clutch is fine.......:notworthy:
LG

The shake showed up shortly after i bought the jeep. not sure what lift is in it. and the guy i bought it from wasnt sure. there is no body lift. All suspension. Im assuming its 3-4 inch. clutch discs pads are wore flat. and edges of disc are coming apart.i got all takin apart and discovered the rear intake gasket leaking oil and antifreeze.

If you still have the original axle gear ratio, added to a huge tire like 35", it can really be hard on the clutch.

3.54's are very high for 35" tires. If you can't tell from the responses 35" tires on a relatively stock drive train raises a lot of red flags. You can get away with 33's, but 35's create a whole chain of trouble that needs to be dealt with for a safe CJ. Clutches, diff gearing lifts, drive shaft angles, brakes, u-joints, seal issues, differential angles all need to be dealt with. My CJ5 came with 35" tires and I couldn't get them off fast enough, the thing scared me to death. It was like driving around on a basketball. Also, I'm far to old (talking about myself here) to worry about looking cool to the 4WD crowd. I figure while crawling around the mall parking lot that even with 31's pot holes, curbs and parking blocks are no problem.

I am sure you have noticed that a stock CJ with 35s is kinda hard to get stopped also, even with power brakes.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks