CJ 7 hardtop and doors dont fit CJ 7

CJ 7 hardtop and doors dont fit CJ 7

rippinrob

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Nonr
Hello, so im new to the world of jeepers and me and my dad just bought a 1977 CJ7. When we bought it didnt have any doors or top. We later picked up a top and doors for a good price; however, they dont fit on the jeep. I'm pretty damn sure they're CJ7 doors and top as they almost do, just not quite, fit.

First of all the hardtop fits about an inch off the back of the jeep with the windshield in the normal postion.

If you loosen the large windshield hand twistbolts the hold it up and push it forward a little bit the back will fit put the windshields angle seems too straight up and the top will lift up and make a half inch gap where the top meets the door.

The doors dont want to fit in and im not sure if its from the hinges or if the guy did custom patches or something on the tub.

(I have pictures in my gallery but im not sure how to upload them to this post? it doesn't add anything when i click on "insert an image" of "insert image")

P.S. whats that part called under the grill and above the frame? I currently have 3 hockey pucks with a bolt in them instead.

So the 2nd pic in the 2nd post of the top sitting on the body is really wrong. The bottom of your top is flat instead of having the same contour as the top of the body.The flat of the body and the flat of the top should line up with no gap. I hope you understand what I'm saying. I will try and post a pic of what it should look like in a little bit. What did this top come off of? I have a '78 and a '84 and they are both the same.

Here's a pic of how mine fits

So the 2nd pic in the 2nd post of the top sitting on the body is really wrong. The bottom of your top is flat instead of having the same contour as the top of the body.The flat of the body and the flat of the top should line up with no gap. I hope you understand what I'm saying. I will try and post a pic of what it should look like in a little bit. What did this top come off of? I have a '78 and a '84 and they are both the same.

how is that top that long unless it came from a scrambler or CJ6?

So that gap is from when i push the windshield up a little bit so the back of the top fits on the rest of the body. It fits good when the windshield all the way down there is no gap in between the top and tub(In picture) . The guy i bought it from had a YJ and said he originally bought it from a guy with a CJ. I think the windshield mounting might be messed up somehow? because if the windshield was farther forward it wouldn't be pushed up to fit and then not lift up the hardtop... hope you can make sense of that, thanks

your talking about the bottom edge of the hard top?

yes the botom edge of the hardtop on a CJ and YJ have a 45 degree edge to them and they cover the top 2 inches of the tub, look at the pic mtnwhlr posted thats of his door jamb notice how the top covers over the body

also you are going to have to loosen the bolts on your hinges to get the door to fit right, you might even have to bend the hinge at the hinge pin. One of the members on here got some all thread and ran it through both hinge mounts on the tub to align them vertically before trying to align the door. I had stainless windshield hinges but sold them because I do not like the fit especially on the door hinge

Here is some better pictures of that sorry if I didn't have them on there before still trying to figure this website out. The middle picture shows the top floating a little but that from the windshield being pushed to a steeper angle to make room for the top and since it sits on the top of the windshield...

Heres some better pictures of that sorry if I didnt have them on there before still trying to figure this website out

looks much better than it did in first couple of pics, thats definetly a CJ7 hardtop, is there a bunch of foam tape on the bottom rail of the hard top? looks like it is sitting to high

I don't think so but i will check in the morning and see. Loosen the hinges on the tub top and bottom and on the door too? I loosened the bottom hinge and that helped a good amount. Wasn't sure about the top one with the windshield being attached to as well. the top hinge hole( on the tub) does look bend back slightly and i thought if I bend it straight that may help as well but wasn't sure.

For the hardtop would there be any play in the windshield if i loosened the hinges that hold it?
I could mess with the windshield angle by moving the brackets that hold the windshield down but then that gap would start to appear... Not sure if you could give an estimate on the windshield angle or measure the distance from top ridge of tub to somewhere on the dash... thanks

For the hardtop would there be any play in the windshield if i loosened the hinges that hold it?

The answer to this is yes. The adjustment for the w/s frame is in the hinge. I agree with gert with the new pics that is a CJ top that looks like someone has removed part of the lip along the bottom edge for some reason. It might have been on a glass tub and they did it to get to fit.

When I bought a set of YJ 1/2 doors for my CJ last year they needed some adjustments on all hinges on the doors and body but work and close pretty well now. I also had to buy door striker pins and adjust them because my jeep came with only a soft top when new

So I measured the door opening in the tub and the tub turned out to be an inch short. Then i meausred a yj tub and agian my cj was about an inch shorter. Im guessing when the PO was doing tub work he either cut the entire tub in half and then overlayed the two parts when rebuilding it. I guess im going to have to see if I can "customize" the top to fit and same to doors (maybe soft ones will have more play) Thanks for the help

That seams real strange to me. Good luck with it.

So I measured the door opening in the tub and the tub turned out to be an inch short. Then i meausred a yj tub and agian my cj was about an inch shorter. Im guessing when the PO was doing tub work he either cut the entire tub in half and then overlayed the two parts when rebuilding it. I guess im going to have to see if I can "customize" the top to fit and same to doors (maybe soft ones will have more play) Thanks for the help

Holy :dung:, I think it would be better to add the inch back in the tub because no top will ever fit right i.e. A soft top and bikini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the tub is in that bad of shape you can swap a yj tub onto ur cj with very little modification and they can be picked up cheap usually around 400 bucks or so. that would solve your top problem and any rust issues you may also have in your jeep

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks