best and worst non Jeep off road vehicles you have owned?

Kimmyh51

Jeeper
Thanks
Aside from Jeep what is the best 4x4 you have owned and why

and conversely what is the worst (by worst i dont mean just not the right vehicle for you, but one that was so bad you want to warn others not to touch it with a 10 foot pole! :)

How does the 'best' vehicle that wasnt a jeep compare to your CJ?

That's a tough one for me, especially because I can't answer it. My first and only 4 wheel drive vehicle is the same one I own now. My CJ5!

I honestly can't answer this! All I have ever really owned that was used off road were jeeps. And every single one of them were fantastic! Some broke a little more than others, but I have to take full blame for that. But even when I was a kid and beat those poor little jeeps like a rented mule, they were pretty durable!

My wife bought a Subaru one time (against my better judgment) and it was not a good 4x4 at all. Burned the clutch out the first time we took it to a sandy beach area, and had to tow it home. I know some people have good luck with them and build them up, but I won't buy another...

I'd take a 78-79 F-250 or F-350 against any other truck (except maybe an old PW or M-715) as an off-road truck...

I just noticed the actual thread topic.
I believe that are very few non Jeep real off road vehicles made. At least if you are including all the SUV / Mini Van all wheel drive type's. Many trucks and larger 4 wheel drive vehicles do pretty well off road, the latest batch of soccer Mom grocery getting kid haulers do not - and as such - I don't consider them off road vehicles...

I had an 87 Toyota pickup. I bought it for $500 bucks with a rusted bed. I put a head gasket, timing chain, and clutch in it. Replace the bed with a tube frame covered with a diamond plate aluminum sheet and a 16 gallon fuel cell. Lost about 200 lbs. of the back and bobbed rear about a foot. Put some 1/4" skidplates underneath, removed antisway bar, and put some 31x10.50x15 bfg all terrains on it. I beat the :dung: out of that truck at paragon adventure park. Had to drive 3 1/2 hours up into the pocono mountains and wheeled on rocks and mud for about 8 hours and drove home each time. It never broke down on me for the 2 years i used it as a daily driver. Hate to say it, but it pulled a few jeeps out that didn't protect their dist. from getting wet. Gave it to my apprentice at work when I got my next truck. He proceded to wreck it twice and then sell it to the guy who totalled it.

Exactly, most purpose built trucks and such that are intended to preform off road do quite well when not on pavement - not just a dirt road...

I just noticed the actual thread topic.
I believe that are very few non Jeep real off road vehicles made. At least if you are including all the SUV / Mini Van all wheel drive type's. Many trucks and larger 4 wheel drive vehicles do pretty well off road, the latest batch of soccer Mom grocery getting kid haulers do not - and as such - I don't consider them off road vehicles...
You've just upset my wife and her Audi.:mad: Be advised...she does know where you live.

You've just upset my wife and her Audi.:mad: Be advised...she does know where you live.
LOL - So, that Audi can get up a ski jump better then my CJ (that would be if it wasn't in a million pieces), can it travel through three feet deep mud though?

My Deuce and a Half is probably the best offroad truck I've owned, followed by a 78 Power Wagon. Worst was a 75 Blazer.

Every chance I get!! Theres about 15-20 of us that get together twice a year for camping/ wheeling trips out in the desert, it's always fun to see the look on the other offroaders faces when they see us rolling down the trails. Except for soft sand the Deuce is unstopable.

I glad you use it, I hate to see great vehicles like that just sit.
You have to have some shots of that thing action... How about putting some in your gallery? We want to see it! :)

Just uploaded some pics, most of the best action shots are on my buddies cameras though;)

Holly :dung:! You have a platoon! That looks like so much fun. I bet you scare the hell out of others when you all go out. How many do you all usually go with and how many do you all have?

deuce_trip_march_1st_004.jpg

386962-r1-006-1a_001.jpg

Theres about 20 or so guys but only 12-14 make it for a given trip, its hard to pick a date that works for everyone. Our trips are usually 3-4 days so we can do all the important stuff, offroading,:chug:, lead disposal :biggun:, bon fires :booze:,more offroading :chug: , scare the :dung: out of as many people as we can:laugh::beer:, its a good time.

I have own alot of Jeep vehicles, but the best non-Jeep has to be be my 97' Ford F-350 4X4 Powerstroke Diesel pick-up. I bought it new, with the plan of lifting it right away. I found one with 4.10 gear from the factory. I had 12 leave springs custom made for it, Then Detroit Lockers, 16.5 X9.75" rims & 38.5" X 15.50" Swampers. I've used it to skid logs it took two men two reach around, it pulls my Scrambler to far flung off-road spots. It gets almost twice the mileage of my Scrambler, but it's not as much fun to drive. DSC00437.JPG

DCP00399.jpg

DCP00400.jpg

Other than my many other Jeeps I've owned the only other offroader that kicked arse for me was the 'ol 78 Dodge Ram Charger. That thing was a tank and would climb anything, Even a tree to make a turn while offroading. And yes did have a pic of that but lost it and most pics in a house fire a few years back.

Worst mistake I ever made was letting my dear wife talk me into trading in out CJ5 on a Sabaru Brat!!!!! First time off road we tore $1500 worth of exhaust system out from under it. then only cost us $2500 to get our Jeep back. Could have used that $4000 better in fixing up the old 5

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks