BDS Jeep CJ5, CJ7, Scrambler YJ Spring Conversion Kit

BDS Jeep CJ5, CJ7, Scrambler YJ Spring Conversion Kit
Surprised no one has mentioned that you will have issues clearing your tires with a 3" lift. Are you planning on trimming your fenders?

I have a 84 CJ7. Initially I went with 35" Baja Claws and a 4" Skyjacker lift bc I was in highschool and money was tight. I installed it and quickly found that the tires were trying to eat the rear fenders.

My quick and easy solution was 2-1/4" lift shackles. Terrible idea but hey they still work to this day!

I like you have big plans for my jeep but life has other plans. Anyways, my plan is to buy CCFabs tube fenders to help clear my tires and bring it back down to just 4" of lift. Eventually I'll go to the YJ conversion.

Surprised no one has mentioned that you will have issues clearing your tires with a 3" lift. Are you planning on trimming your fenders?

I have a 84 CJ7. Initially I went with 35" Baja Claws and a 4" Skyjacker lift bc I was in highschool and money was tight. I installed it and quickly found that the tires were trying to eat the rear fenders.

My quick and easy solution was 2-1/4" lift shackles. Terrible idea but hey they still work to this day!

I like you have big plans for my jeep but life has other plans. Anyways, my plan is to buy CCFabs tube fenders to help clear my tires and bring it back down to just 4" of lift. Eventually I'll go to the YJ conversion.

Yeah brother I'm planning on doing Metal Cloak fenders and armor based on their website the 35's should clear.

Not sure if you get much in the way of snow or freezing rain, but if you do, a selectable locker is the way to go. Even up in the mountains and you come across a snow patch that is old snow, and has turned to ice, you better hope the road is not slopping off towards the edge of a cliff! Even my CJ5 with SBC V8 power and a "Lincoln" locker scared me when my tires were full of mud from playing and drove on to a wet road. Next thing I knew I was doing a 360 in the middle of the road. Luckly, no traffic at the time. I would take out the spool and put in a trac- lock, tell you can upgrade to bigger rear axle. That way your 20 will live. Have your 20 axle tubes been welded to the center section?

I would also think about a front shackle reversal. A lot of times it will give you a little lift, plus it sure helps a CJ handle better. My vote is also for a SUA. Suspension lift. Some again would disagree, but I the way it works better and with the V8 you won't have the wrap up and break a spring. Hope some of this helps! You get what you pay for and my advice is free!

Thanks for the info as for snow we get it about once every 4 years so not much of a issue there, also I only has a mess top and no heater needless to say my Jeep sits a lot during winter. Yes the tubes have been welded to the center section. As for the shackle reversal I've heard several people say not to do that, but for the lift I plan on sticking with a SUA application. The SOA's are a little to high for my liking if I was building a hardcore crawler then it might be a different story.

I'm going to try and find some pictures of a swap I did. Scout 44s will bolt right into a yj bit you will have to move the front perches outboard of the frame to run them on a cj

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm going to try and find some pictures of a swap I did. Scout 44s will bolt right into a yj bit you will have to move the front perches outboard of the frame to run them on a cj

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Please do man I'd love to read through it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks