BDS Jeep CJ5, CJ7, Scrambler YJ Spring Conversion Kit

BDS Jeep CJ5, CJ7, Scrambler YJ Spring Conversion Kit

Knighttime85

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7 383 SBC, Holley Truck Avenger 670cfm carb with a T350 transmission, Dana 300 transfer case twin sticked, AMC 20 rear end with a Detroit, Dana 30 front, H1 Hummer steering box swap, Sams Offroad steering brace, on 35's, Custom built rock sliders, White Rhino Fab flat fenders, Custom built winch plate with Mile Maker 8500# winch.
Been looking around for lifts again, and I was curious if anyone has any experience with this BDS YJ conversion. I'm want to transition to 35" tires is the future so if I do it I go with the package below. Also since if you know of anything similar that would help to accomplish my end goal of fitting the 35's I'm all ears.

1 124021 CJ To YJ Spring Conversion
4 004351 87-95 Jeep YJ 3.5" Ft. Or Rr. Spring
4 074000 YJ Bushing Sleeve Kit
1 084401 76-86 CJ5/7 Pitman Arm W/pwr. Steering
1 228001 2 1/2" X 4 Degree Shim (pair)
1 124000 76-86 CJ Transfer Case Lowering Kit
2 124119 76-86 CJ Rear 1-3/8 In. Shackles
2 85900 NX² Shock Absorber
2 85920 NX² Shock Absorber
Qty Part# Description Price
1 55410 Steering Stabilizer $51.22

Attachments

• playground (1).jpg
    playground (1).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,231
So if you are just looking for suggestions, I would think doing something to toughen up the rear axle housing would help. The tubes are on the thin side and I have seen the spring pads break where they are welded to the tubes. Gussets could be another add on also.

I did a 3" BDs spring conversation on my 77. Rides and flex better then CJ lift springs. I cut down the driver side 44 front axle and used 1/2 TR and DL along with a aftermarket diff cover. For those upgrades I had to move the steering box up an inch so the TR could clear the diff cover. I simply bought a steering box mount that was designed to move the box forward an inch.

That rear 20 is your weakest leak for sure.
The spool is NOT a good choice for any street use at all.
LG

That rear 20 is your weakest leak for sure.
The spool is NOT a good choice for any street use at all.
LG

I've read all the bad info about having a spool on the street, and to be honest man I haven't had any problems out of it so far. The axles where done by the PO and I don't plan on changing anything until I break them.

Spools = great off rod traction - on my sand drag vehicles = the best

Spools on the street = tire wear, diff fatigue, axle fatigue, cheap locker - in TX you will probably get away with it for a long time... Wait until the back end of that little CJ kicks around and tosses you to the site. It won't be like driving an XJ.

What do your XJ forum think?

Take our suggestions with a grain of salt, but a spool on the street is bad news.

So if you are just looking for suggestions, I would think doing something to toughen up the rear axle housing would help. The tubes are on the thin side and I have seen the spring pads break where they are welded to the tubes. Gussets could be another add on also.

Thanks for the info i'll look into some preemptive upgrades, but I don't want to go crazy on the 20 or the 30 because I know at some point I will upgrade the axles. Ideally I would like a ford 9 in the rear and a 44 up front, but as you guys are aware they aint cheap. I guess I should mention 35-36" tires are the end goal I'm not trying to build a rock buggy, but I want to be able to keep up with those mildly built TJs/JK's as thats what most of my club has.

I've read all the bad info about having a spool on the street, and to be honest man I haven't had any problems out of it so far. The axles where done by the PO and I don't plan on changing anything until I break them.

you eventually will run into trouble with the AMC20 you can prolong it by trussing it, so plan on axles after your suspension work :chug: I am building mine with stock YJ springs and a narrowed Dana 44 front and Dodge 9.25 rear

Spools = great off rod traction - on my sand drag vehicles = the best

Spools on the street = tire wear, diff fatigue, axle fatigue, cheap locker

Take our suggestions with a grain of salt, but a spool on the street is bad news.

I know its not ideal, and I know you guys know what your talking about so don't think I'm not heeding the warnings. It has to do with timing and finances, ideally I would ditch the entire drive-train minus the motor and T-case, but that is for another day.

I know its not ideal, and I know you guys know what your talking about so don't think I'm not heeding the warnings. It has to do with timing and finances, ideally I would ditch the entire drive-train minus the motor and T-case, but that is for another day.
Perfectly understandable and we understand. This forum is based on safety and I just wanted to you to know how bad a spool is on the street.

BTY :ww: and I hope no hard feelings. :chug:

you eventually will run into trouble with the AMC20 you can prolong it by trussing it, so plan on axles after your suspension work :chug: I am building mine with stock YJ springs and a narrowed Dana 44 front and Dodge 9.25 rear

I've been looking for axle upgrades for awhile now literally hours of watching youtube videos and reading forums, and I'm afraid equipped to take on that project yet....

Sidetrack you know I lived in DFW for several years, and had to google search Sachse Tx. I had now idea where it was lol:chug:

Perfectly understandable and we understand. This forum is based on safety and I just wanted to you to know how bad a spool is on the street.

BTY :ww: and I hope no hard feelings. :chug:

None at all partner, I should have worded my response differently:chug:

I've been looking for axle upgrades for awhile now literally hours of watching youtube videos and reading forums, and I'm afraid equipped to take on that project yet....

Sidetrack you know I lived in DFW for several years, and had to google search Sachse Tx. I had now idea where it was lol:chug:

lol I googled Whitehouse as well.

Axles arent bad, just expensive. and so many options. I paln to use mine as a dual purpose and like the factory look so I chose to stay with 1/2 ton axles

with having a 383 and 35" tires a Ford 9" and up would be my recommendation for the rear, and a Dana 44 dodge/chevy with Flat top knuckles would be my suggestion for the front. also a traction bar on the rear. yours should look real good on a 4" lift like you are looking at with 35" tires.

I like keeping the factory 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern which worked great with my Dodge axles thats why I chose them.... didnt hurt that I was parting out the truck they came off either lol

I am not a huge fan of the full with axle look so I am narrowing my axles, when I measured mine it looks like I can get away with a 60" width axle so thats what im going for when I can free up some funds

None at all partner, I should have worded my response differently:chug:

No worries. :chug:
Just because it's 'works' doesn't mean it's the best choice.
A spool on the street is a poor idea. Especially on wet and twisty roads.
Tho I have had my 9" and 44 for many years. Don't regret the $$$$ at all.
Not sure what they cost now.
LH

No worries. :chug:
Just because it's 'works' doesn't mean it's the best choice.
A spool on the street is a poor idea. Especially on wet and twisty roads.
Tho I have had my 9" and 44 for many years. Don't regret the $$$$ at all.
Not sure what they cost now.
LH

I want the 9 and 44 bad but the wife and the life have other plans at the moment. I'm willing to test drive your 9" and Dana 44 if you would like to let me borrow them for a few years.... I promise ill give a good review:chug:

It's not the end of the world if you break something, repairing, and building can be just as rewarding as wheeling.

I want the 9 and 44 bad but the wife and the life have other plans at the moment. I'm willing to test drive your 9" and Dana 44 if you would like to let me borrow them for a few years.... I promise ill give a good review:chug:

:D get in line........:laugh:
LG

It's not the end of the world if you break something, repairing, and building can be just as rewarding as wheeling.
That's the other thing I enjoy turning wrenches on the jeep almost as much as I like driving it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's the other thing I enjoy turning wrenches on the jeep almost as much as I like driving it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Maybe that's why mine is still not done I like working on it to much or wait ya that's right life keeps getting in the way lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you get much in the way of snow or freezing rain, but if you do, a selectable locker is the way to go. Even up in the mountains and you come across a snow patch that is old snow, and has turned to ice, you better hope the road is not slopping off towards the edge of a cliff! Even my CJ5 with SBC V8 power and a "Lincoln" locker scared me when my tires were full of mud from playing and drove on to a wet road. Next thing I knew I was doing a 360 in the middle of the road. Luckly, no traffic at the time. I would take out the spool and put in a trac- lock, tell you can upgrade to bigger rear axle. That way your 20 will live. Have your 20 axle tubes been welded to the center section?

I would also think about a front shackle reversal. A lot of times it will give you a little lift, plus it sure helps a CJ handle better. My vote is also for a SUA. Suspension lift. Some again would disagree, but I the way it works better and with the V8 you won't have the wrap up and break a spring. Hope some of this helps! You get what you pay for and my advice is free!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks