Air Tool Advice

Air Tool Advice

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
I am a complete Air Tool Rookie, what I know about air tools:

1 - You need a decent air compressor to run them. I've got that.

2 - They are really cool to have.

3 - AAhhhhh well, that's about it.....

I need a couple tools and need advice from someone that knows, advice like what brands or models are decent? What to look for when buying tools. Where to get them at a decent price? Are the Harbor Freight tools worth buying? What do you think of Pawn shop tools?

Starting out, it doesn't hurt to buy at Harbor Freight, if your just going to lightly use your tools. If I was really going to work them for a living, I'd buy the best I don't use my impact, or air rachet, but I use my air board, DA sander, and small cut off tool more. I have just bought a blasting cabinet from harbor freight, that I use all the time to clean up parts to repaint, love it!, but the light in it isn't worth :dung:. I already want a bigger cabinet. The blasting cabinet is turning out to be one of the best shop tools I ever bought. I bought a cheap air drill years ago for using a wire wheel on it to clean up parts, it's been worked to death, and still going strong.

Hedge, I was in the same boat awhile back. The HF cabinet was the reason i finally purchased it and well the cabinet has been the best investment to date for the projects. I have plug in tools for mostly everything else cutoff, impact, sander so I've not found a reason to switch those over to air tools.
I did buy a air ratchet for small stuff just to check it out. Here was a kit that was cheap and great to get started
http://t.harborfreight.com/20-piece...://www.google.com/&utm_medium=mobile_redirect
So yeah outside of the cabinet I don't use it much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I go to the air tools over electric just about all the time. My 3/8" air ratchet is about the coolest tool ever. the 1/2" impact is good for tires and really tight hardware but you need a really big compressor to run one. Remember it is all about CFM and not so much the pressure. Hose size is important as well, a lot more air goes through a 3/8" than a 1/4" (duh).

the air rachet is HF and the die grinder, DA sander, reversible 3/8" drill are too. The 1/2" impact is a Kobalt, I was not impressed with the one from HF.
If your so inclined, nail guns are a really cool thing too.:D

As always you get what you pay for. I did have to give away my H.F. 1/2" impact as it was a bit on the weak side and bought a Craftsman. This made a difference loosening aluminum wheels. Don't forget an occasional squirt of air tool oil, btw. Setting up an air tank water drain system will help also.

I'm with Torx and IO on this one, you get what you pay for as usual, and it's all about the cfm's.
Your in a mans world now where bigger is always better.:D

Another nice thing about air tools is if you're outside standing in a puddle and something goes wrong you wont get shocked on your fanny. :)

Or in the mud. its also nice to have an adjustable regulator on your air compressor to do stuff like spray on wall texturing.

I like their size relative to their electric cousins. In tight places it's a lot easier to squeeze an air tool in to get the job done. I do have a die grinder with a wire brush on it and it's saved me several times already.

When it comes to tools I look at them in two different categories. One that needs strength and precision quality, and one that simply uses shape and function. For example a wire brush is a wire brush and any one will do the intended job. But a socket must fit well and be strong enough to take some tremendous force.

I have a boat load of air tools, from air saws to framing nailers, and most of them are the Harbor Freight type (Central Pneumatic, etc.). Three of the most used air tools that get used during my frame off is the cut-off tool and both an angled and straight die grinder. These tools simply have to spin fast, no torque is involved. But I also have tried their impact tools and while they work great for ease of running bolts/nuts on and off, they lack on power to bust lose really tight stuff. So for them your better off with a name brand like Ingersol Rand or Snap-On.

Sanders are good because again they only need to spin real fast (a couple drops of tool oil every so often keeps them that way) but shears are Limited to metal gauge on the thinner side because of their cheap construction. Same goes with their flanger / punch tool.

Nail guns are typically not bought for small jobs so they'll get some use. These will not hold up over prolonged use like your Bostich or Hitachi brands will. They will have more jambs or have internal parts fail.

And I've had their blast cabinet for probably 20 years. The only problem I've ever had is the gloves can dry out over time and the nozzle tip needs replacing. Both are to be expected with any brand.

And I agree. 1/4" hose will work for brad / trim nail guns where short bursts of air are used or pumping up tires, but stick with 3/8" hose and use your regulator to control pressure.

I agree with what everyone has said. The H/F die grinders and cut-off wheel work just fine.I buy them on sale. You will want 2-3 straight,2-3 angle head.wire brush,scotch brite pads,small sanding disc,burrs,etc.
The list is long on all the types of air tools.Buy what you need as you go_One thing I did was to but a small drill chuck on a angle head die grinder for tight spots.That has saved me a couple times. Now get out there and start shopping!:D:D mike

Been shopping, but they all look alike to the uneducated eye.

I would not buy brushes at HF, they come apart too fast ant the little wires will stick into body parts when they fly off. Rocks , the same thing, a die grinder is making some crazy RPMs and if a rock comes un-put-together it will fly some distance with authority. It will hurt!:D

The $20+ 3/8" air ratchet from HF is something you will never want to be without. It is not an impact but once the fastener is broke loose it sure makes removing it a lot faster and easier. Axle U bolts are the first thing that come to mind.

Sound advice.

Over the last year I've had many a wire brush wire sticking out of my flesh. H-F came to the rescue there as well, they have a leather apron for cheap ..... it's not perfect, it needs a little work on the straps, but for $9 you can't get the leather.

The air ratchets were one of my wants, but was nervous about quality or whether they are worth having at all. ..... :) surprisingly enough I'm looking at removing a couple short springs from the rear end and my U-bolts are a concern.

I give the HF air ratchet a 9 for 10. The change valve could be a bit easier to use but I have had it for at least 10 years.:D And spring u bolts are usually fine thread and a foot long with lock nuts. a regular ratchet takes days!:D

Been shopping, but they all look alike to the uneducated eye.

The cheaper stuff will be your Central Pneumatic, Campbell-Hasfield, Chicago Pneumatic, that you typically see in stores or HF, etc.. But I think it depends on what region of the US your in because I see some brands online that I've never heard of. And like I said they will work fine in most cases where strength and durability aren't issues.

The wire brushes I was referring to earlier were handheld brushes used under muscle power.

But I agree on the wire wheels. They work, but shed something firece. I even had one fly off at an off angle that stick in my ear, ouchier than I thought it would be, ached for days. All wire wheels shed, but no where near as much as H-F wheels, therefore they also last longer making up for the price difference.

Good consistent advice on this thread...

In MY opinion, if you're not sure about something (and assuming you're not making a living with these) go cheap on the tool (ratchets, grinders, impacts), go best quality on the removable items (wheels, sockets, extensions). Whatever you break or wear out on the tool side - replace with a better one because that's one you're using hard more often it would appear.

And yes, get a set of nice impact sockets and extensions - nothing better for breaking something loose even if you're using a breaker bar on it. You'll be surprised how easily you can ruin a Craftsman or Snap-On chrome socket on something only to have an impact socket and extension do the job with ease.

As an added bonus, your wife will absolutely fall in love :mad: with your 60 gallon air compressor you forgot to shut off - kicking ON at 3am out in the attached garage. I know mine does...

:) Was siting in the living room the other night watching some idiot selling moonshine or was it something to do with duck calls, maybe a pawn shop .... doesn't matter .... when the warm thump thump tones of my air compressor (it's only 35 gallon) came from the garage. Wasn't mad, I'm alone, had to get some flip flops on to drag myself out to shut her off. It's better than the old days. The compressor in the barn would start and flicker the lights in the house. Those trips weren't fun at all.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks