Build Thread 82 CJ7 update and custom touches.

Build Thread 82 CJ7 update and custom touches.

jj1965

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ7, lifted 33" tires 258/auto trans mostly stock work in progress.
65 C10 my first ride as done as any hot rod gets!
68 442 under construction frame off restore.
97 hydra sport fish and ski
93 Ford motorhome
Wanted to Chronicle the changes I am making to my 82 CJ7. Looking to have a good trail/road rig that is still RV towable for my many camping outings. The Jeep I found was in nice shape already and had some suspension work done. Engine has many new parts but needed some cleaning up and some repairs made. Here is a before and after pic of what I have done so far. I will document more in later posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The previous owner was having battery issues turns out the battery was called an Econo Start! First time I took it out at night the combination of a tired alternator and old battery I walked home. It is hard to see in the picture but the battery was really small. I replaced it and the alternator with a Chevy unit I had that was to small for another project. The starter had been rebuilt and a new valve cover gasket installed all by the local mechanic for the previous owner. You can see in the pic that the carb has had some work done. The Jeep idled fine but was real lethargic, I noticed some sucking sounds, I found vacuum caps off and the PCV leaking by badly. When I advanced the timing it idled at about 1400 RPMs with the idle screw backed all the way out! After repairing leaks and vacuum lines it is now idling about right, I still believe the carb gasket is leaking some and a replacement is on the way. Best news it runs great!

Yup its had some carb work. The original Carter was replaced with a Weber. :D I love to camp as well , but my Cj will be towing my gear. :chug:

Now for some of the good stuff the Jeep had a very good condition hard top with a decent light bar when I bought it. It also had a brand new Best Top soft top minus the bottom rail that was new and only installed to check for fitment at some time. In the box was a nice set of half doors and a bikini top! I did a tune up when I got home and discovered the HEI distributer had been replaced as well as the power booster and master cylinder. I am thinking this is getting better every day. It looks like the lift is relatively new and the brake pads are also. Not sure what kind of lift it has but the shackles are 3/4 inch lift shackles and it has Procomp shocks on the front. mystery shocks on the rear? It also has a two inch body lift, the Jeep will fit in my garage with the top off but rubs on the center of the door. I plan to toe this often so I installed a tow bar on the front and started fabricating a rear bumper. I ran out of wire for my welder so I didn't get the bumper finished yesterday, hopefully next week sometime. You can get an idea of how it will look in the mock up photo. I also installed the spare tire this weekend. The previous owner didn't carry a spare or a jack. I found a matching wheel at the junkyard and drilled holes in the corner guards for the original carrier. The carrier was in the box of spare parts that came with the Jeep. I had a good high lift jack so I went with the hood mount since it will not fit in the back. Sorry still rambling but I am getting excited!:D

Yeah I might do that sometime also. We have a old Class C motorhome we will tow it behind that was my project before the Jeep. I really got a good deal on this Jeep, but the mechanic work was shoddy at best really good parts with a lot of bailing wire and tape!

Decided to power wash the Jeep a couple of days ago and when I finished fuel tank was leaking, guess I should have left the mud in place. I temporary fixed it and ordered a new one should be here in a couple of days. I had an old jerry can setting around that had seen better days. sandblasted it yesterday and painted it today. The paint was supposed to be more flat in color, hopefully some time in the sun and it will fade a little. I ordered a locking mount for it and a laudery list of other items today.

Just a heads up , the wieght of a 33 in spare is a little much for the stock spare tire carrier. If you plan to use it for awhile reinforce it behind the sheetmetal with some plate. The extra wieght will pull the bolts right through the sheetmetal. Your best bet is to build your own while your fabbing your bumper. Looks like a job you can handle. :chug:

Thanks for the info I was concerned about that and have been keeping an eye on it. Thinking I will just reinforce the carrier mounting and not have to worry about it!

Spent a lot of time with the CJ this weekend. Installed the new fuel tank, purchased online 97.00 shipped. Fuel lines and fill line new also. Hard to see in the installed pic but it is the best I have.

Finished the bumper yesterday I need to drill for a couple of more carriage bolts but looks pretty Good. I put a bunch of overlapping welds on my hitch should be good for pulling my boat out of the water on occasion. I do need to drill some holes for safety chains, wish I wouldn't have forgotten before I painted with bed liner!:eek:

Thats a mod you dont see much. Rid yourself of that pesky sheetmetal so you can get right at the gas can. :D Just ribbing you. The bumper looks strong.

The dash wasn't terrible but the cables were all stuck and only a couple of gauges worked. I used bed liner on the dash and have all the gauges and idiot lights working with the exception of the water temp. The heater motor stopped on the first cool evening after I bought it. I replaced it with one from a K5 Blazer, wow that mod is worth it! The pics are before and after sorry my progress pic is a little blurry.

Cleaned up the floor this weekend. fixed some small rust holes and applied bed liner to the inside. Wish I had better finished pics... After letting the bed liner cure I tried it out and delivered an engine to Napa for machine work.:) I have noticed the CJ wonders on the road a little. Decided to check my castor and it needed some help. I have some degree wedges on order and an upgraded steering stabilizer. Best I could tell my castor was near zero. Looks like the factory stabilizer is still on the Jeep so why not upgrade it! With luck I can install them on my next days off. All the other suspension appears to be replaced or upgraded, ball joints tight not much play in anything. Gear box seems to be a little loose, will repair that if needed later. I think I am about out of money:eek:

My degree wedges arrived a few days ago, wow what a better driving Jeep! I was working nights and lazy so I didn't take any pics but the install is very straight forward. The lift springs had bigger bolts holding the spring pack than any listed for the wedges, I just drilled them to size and all was good. I did notice that most of my gearbox play was in the lower coupling on the steering shaft. I replaced that with a new one yesterday. Drove it to work today 23 miles on the highway and it is much easier to control. Went with a new Skyjacker steering stabilizer the old one had seen better days might as well not been there.

One quick question does anyone run a Magnaflow muffler on a 258? How does it sound? My exhaust has been replaced muffler back, but the muffler has holes in it? The manifold doesn't have the ring gasket in the flange either, sounds like :dung:. The previous owner didn't have any attention to detail. I did find my biggest oil leak, the lack of a gasket under the distributer? I think almost all of the pesky poor maintenance issues have been repaired.

Mine sounds ok, I guess I would like it to sound a little meaner, but it's still good.
What size rims and tires are you running and how wide are the rims?

Been awhile since my last update! My tires are 33x12.5 not sure on the rim looks like a 10 inch width, they were on the Jeep when I bought it. Decided to let the Muffler shop take care of the exhaust. Went with a Flowmaster 40 series. I was reluctant because of how loud they can be, but it isn't loud at all on the six. Sounds good at idle and is just loud enough under full throttle. Finally had some rain in Oklahoma and got the Jeep muddy! Only Blew the power steering pressure hose and had to do the exhaust.:D

Tried the Jeep behind my old motorhome for a mini vacation. No problems at all except the 5 MPG on the first leg of the trip. We found an access road to an overlook that had some good obstacles for the Jeep. I do need to change to an all terrain tire for traveling the mud tires are wearing quickly.

It has been obvious that I had a vacuum leak since I purchased this Jeep. I think this is it! It was split on one side and siliconed back together. I split the other side to get to the over tightened set screw. New adapter is here back on the road soon.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks