Build Thread '76 CJ5 351w Swap

Build Thread '76 CJ5 351w Swap
Harnesses installed this evening. Getting closer and closer to actually getting out on the road.

Still waiting on the fuel filler/vent hoses from MTS. I doubt I'll get them before the weekend is over.

While I wait, I'll work on making a new transmission tunnel cover. 08168ba18c01f680a0c89059a84a3ee6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Made a little bit more progress this evening. Got the rear bench and seatbelts mounted. Such a pain in the rear with big hands trying to get the bench bolted into the mount. 682128029c2df83949ceb8018af0ce9a.jpg51da2b7c6cf3703e918970215d49247f.jpg2c61c08d18aff9620f0da0e2899d5a0a.jpg

So, the last time I started the engine, I heard some really nasty chattering coming from the bellhousing. My worst fear is it ate the pilot bushing or the throw out bearing for some unknown reason. My gut was telling me that it may have been the starter not disengaging.

After driving my anxiety up to unacceptable levels sitting here in my chair thinking about it, I went to the garage to take a look.

First thing first...rear main seal leak. Not happy about that. Going to have to deal with that after I figure out this nasty noise.

I pulled the starter and saw a lot of little brass/copper colored shavings that look like they were spit out of the starter on the inside of the bellhousing and starter.

Starter teeth aren't chewed up... flywheel teeth look fine. Brought the starter inside to get it in some better light. Starter is definitely screwed.

Before the noise, I was using the weaker battery that was struggling to start. I changed to a 800CCA red top, and it didn't have trouble starting, but that's when it started making noise as if the starter gear hadn't retracted.

I have a feeling I toasted the started before I switched to the red top.

Going to call Summit to get a replacement.

I am so not happy about that rear main seal leak. 88e822fa3b1c7a5f2ab608f642ea27df.jpgfa01bcc4d242a067510b46c6e28ce87f.jpg4411ee42edbeaead07e8e1c56a37f2cb.jpge6521c7a9e0c9cd0e2f56e7296e948b5.jpg5511e7def8ef10379954ad0b3970d9e9.jpg64c68308f234908e08babaa5a3723296.jpg

Ugh

Well, I'm gonna come out and say it...I'm a bonehead.

Bottle of Woodford Reserve to the first person to correctly guess what I did that led to this minor disaster.

Not the end of the world...just going to require a new starter. This one is toast.

Still not happy about that rear main seal leak...

The wrong starter

Boooooooo!

Ok an autozone rebuilt starter. I had a water pump self destruct in 3 miles

Can't wait to hear what went wrong with the starter. I just had to replace one on a bucket truck that I borrowed.

Definitely not a generic rebuilt starter. It s a Tuff Stuff PMGR starter.

In my excitement to get the starter installed and finally finish the wiring a couple weeks ago, I never checked clearances on the starter gear and the flywheel.

This starter needs a 1/4" shim to clear the flywheel. Dang thing was never disengaging and now it's toast.

Did I mention how not happy I am about the rear main seal leak?

Ok, so it's not a rear main seal leak. Just a minor oil leak at the back of the pan after initial heat cycles. Also, I had too much oil in it. Turns out this motor and stock style pan only likes 4.5 quarts. Took care of it and no more leak.

Took the old girl out on her maiden voyage today and she did well.

Couple things to address:

Pinging in the engine during hard acceleration. Need to smooth out the timing curves on the Sniper. Not a big deal. Idle, idle air control and AFI are good to go.

The transmission is really hard to shift. Did some troubleshooting, and turns out that the clutch isn't releasing all the way. I backed out the adjustment in the slave cylinder rod as far as I can and it's just enough, but the pedal is on the floor to disengage. Just need to make a longer slave rod and I'll be good.

Otherwise, she runs great!

This is one of the best feelings I've had in a long while. It's taken a lot of hard work and planning to make it to this point.

I took it out to the local lunch place today and folks came out to drool. It was awesome.

Ok, so it's not a rear main seal leak. Just a minor oil leak at the back of the pan after initial heat cycles. Also, I had too much oil in it. Turns out this motor and stock style pan only likes 4.5 quarts. Took care of it and no more leak.

Took the old girl out on her maiden voyage today and she did well.

Couple things to address:

Pinging in the engine during hard acceleration. Need to smooth out the timing curves on the Sniper. Not a big deal. Idle, idle air control and AFI are good to go.

The transmission is really hard to shift. Did some troubleshooting, and turns out that the clutch isn't releasing all the way. I backed out the adjustment in the slave cylinder rod as far as I can and it's just enough, but the pedal is on the floor to disengage. Just need to make a longer slave rod and I'll be good.

Otherwise, she runs great!

This is one of the best feelings I've had in a long while. It's taken a lot of hard work and planning to make it to this point.

I took it out to the local lunch place today and folks came out to drool. It was awesome.

One of the reasons we have CJ's. They command attention.

One of the reasons we have CJ's. They command attention.
What topped it off was the white '74 CJ5 that was waiting in the parking lot for me. It was owned by a young kid and we stood there in the lot talking CJs for about an hour.

He had a rebuilt 304 with headers and purple hornies. It sounded great. I about floored him when I started mine up. He was convinced I had a 401 hiding under there.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom