Build Thread '76 CJ5 351w Swap

Build Thread '76 CJ5 351w Swap
I used DD gauges in my build and would recommend.

I already have a set of Speedhut gauges. Figured it would be fairly simple since I'm rewiring as well. It'll be a piece of cake with the Painless harness and Sniper/Hyperspark combo I have going.

Kind of on pause right now until I can scrounge up and engine puller. I want to get the 351w in before I start the wiring. Would prefer to have less junk in the way while I get the engine set up.

Sent via Google translate using braille through Tapatalk

Drool, one day I would also like the speed hit gauges and fuel injection

I rented an engine picker one time from a tool rental joint

I think my picker still sells for around $200 at harbor freight which you can always get a 20% off coupon for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about HF because there's one right down the road from me. That'll be last resort...got a buddy that works at a local AAA repair shop and he's going to snag one for me when he gets back to work next week.

Free is always good. I borrowed 1 twice.

Today was a decent day to work on the CJ again. Today's goal was to get everything disconnected to get ready to pull the big stuff. Rear drive shaft came out, z bar and exhaust. Didn't remove the front drive shaft... it's a bit tough to disconnect from the TC without removing the skid plate. I'll just do that all in one go when I nail down an engine puller.

Saved the picture of the exhaust because I really love the sound of them. Never heard of them. 8ce9e55ded69fbf173ebd79d3eae458f.jpg7069f9321a4a1edc0a4c1a8f062b425d.jpg

So I did a little research, and they don't make these anymore and they're fairly coveted by mustang and corvette guys. The sound is perfect...I may cut them out and use them on the 351w and see what it sounds like. If it sucks, I'll find something else. 057f7cf9357f01970427065b024ad654.jpg

Summit racing makes a glass pack muffler that is said to be comparable to the Blue Streak.
Thrush still makes glasspacks as well a muffler called the Rattler which is round but baffled.
To bad you're not near the desert southwest, you could borrow my cherry picker.

you can always buy one the HF units, use it then sell and recover some of your $$$.

Summit racing makes a glass pack muffler that is said to be comparable to the Blue Streak.
I read the same. They're like $30 a piece so I may just grab the ones from Summit.
I'll have a picker by the end of the week, so I'll be able to get rolling again in a few days.

You’re making great progress! Just cranking it out. I looked at multiple bracket and belt set ups and I went with CVF as well and very impressed and not nearly the cost of other options.

For the broken dash studs, I’m pretty sure they’re a #8 fine thread screw. I picked some up and drilled out the old broken studs and passed the screws from the front, tack welded and then ground down the heads.

I’m doing the Sniper as well and excited at its very basic wiring. Great job and I’m enjoying the build.

Thanks Mass! It's been an awesome project, and what makes it so great is the fact that I'm eliminating a lot of PO mistakes with everything I'm doing.

Drive train is out!

Got the MORE motor mounts in and painted them up. A little more Ford blue to the mix.

Sold the drive train to a gentleman out in Charlottesville...I came down in price a bit more than I wanted, but he brought his own hoist and help. Well worth it. Now I can get back to it. ad7407add3e1795ff459c73a86be3d64.jpg4971ea2e3e5b8a9445885a8e7073298c.jpgf9a4de0b75e346152c1ae6fc64a87b0c.jpg

Good choice. I have the MORE mounts in mine, I liked them best over all the others. They do bolt in, but I welded mine in after bolting them in first.

I've used other stuff from MORE and I'm always impressed with their quality. They're my go-to for the stuff that I really need to last forever. I'm a little skeptical on it putting the engine where it needs to be, but there's only one way to find out...haha.

have not installed them yet, but i got the MORE mounts also.

Lookin good I love progress

After I get the motor in, I'll be at another stopping point. Still waiting on the T18/Dana 20 to arrive and I just paid Double D Fab for a new dash. I wanted some custom cutouts for USB charger/switches under the oil pressure gauge and voltmeter. I liked his CJ grill cutouts for the speakers, so I had him add those as well. Seeing as I have my paint matched, starting from scratch on the dash won't be too big of a deal. Also had him add holes for machine screws for the speedo so I don't have to worry about broken studs any more. I had all stainless hardware on the dash, so 4 more stainless #8s will fit right in with the rest of the bunch.

While I'm waiting on everything, I'll be doing a bunch of prep work...scratch up and repaint the front half of the frame while it's exposed; PPP the old F-250 bellhousing; might even resurrect my wooden steering wheel project...my neighbor has a pretty impressive CNC over in his shop and he offered to draw the auto CAD and cut some wood for me to get the 95% solution. Might have to stop by and grab a case of frothy beverage for him on the way home today...

The frame looks good in the pics, but there are a good number of dings in the paint that are starting to rust. Want to take care of those areas while I can.

Dash drawing.PNG

With Ford motor, it can be mounted back a few inches more than a SBC due the front distro. The AMC 304 and Ford 351 should be close in mount location as they are about the same length.

First coat of POR15 on the bellhousing. Debating whether or not I want to topcoat with Ford Blue. I guess it doesn't matter since I'll be the only one who knows...hahaha5b94f093ec472ca37a42eb29d27e3c7d.jpg

I love seeing the bellhousing painted engine color, but again you will be the only to see it

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom