'74 back to street legal

'74 back to street legal

iconoclast

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ5, 304, T18, D20, D44, D?
'78 CJ7, 258, T150, D20, D30
I picked up a 1974 CJ5 that had been lovingly cared for at a reasonable price because the 304 had seized (word for the wise, don't start an AMC V8 if it has been sitting for 5 years without pre-lubing). Instead of rebuilding the 304, I picked up a 360 from a 1987 Grand Wagoneer with all the accessories. I would like to be able to register the CJ5 in Tucson, Arizona, which is in some ways worse than California when emissions on old cars is concerned.
What emissions equipment was required on a '74 360? Should I swap the aftermarket fuel injection that came with the 304 onto the 360? Can I keep the headers, or do I need to go back to the exhaust manifolds?

:ww::dbanana::banana:

Nut'n is worst than PRK's, SMOG laws. :eek:
Some places do run pretty close. :D
Get in touch with 'Hedgehog' about Az. SMOG stuff.
LG

Hey fellow Tucson Guy. I swapped in a 360 from an '82 Wagoneer so I'm familiar with what you are asking.

First off, the very best source for CJ information is Rob at Willys Works. Rob will help you as much as he can. The only thing I will say though. Don't talk to him for hours and the buy online. Buy from him if you can, if he knows of a better price or availability in town he absolutely send you there.

Now for the question at hand. Try to set your 360 up to as close to 1974 standards as you can, but this is important, if you had a '75 like mine you need a smog pump, the spiders going into the exhaust, an air cleaner and no capped or hanging vacuum tubes. The emissions guys hate that. Since you have a '74 all you need to do is pass the emissions test, they are not required to open the hood on '74 and older vehicles.

Eventually I will be moving to an emissions approved EFI system. The 360 is not easy on fuel and needs all the help it can get to increase MPG.

Also, the sticker on your dash is the legal location of the Vin. number. Yes, I know that the real Vin. plate is under the hood next to the brake master cylinder. It seems stupid to have the legal vin number location on a part that is so easily removed, but that's Arizona law.

Good luck with everything, I'm here if you need help.

If they're not going to open the hood, then really I can probably get away with swapping over the fuel injection system and leave it at that. As far as I can tell, in 1974, cars were only required to have an EGR, PCV, and smog pump (no cat). The smog pump would screw up the fuel injection, but since its dual exhaust and the O2 sensor is only in one of them...

How far back in years does Az go for Smog testing? In Ca. it 1975. If Az. is the same. Then there should be no worries for a '74 then.
LG

Remember when I said that in some ways Arizona is worse than California: "All residents of the greater Phoenix and Tucson areas and those who regularly commute into the areas for work or school are required to have their 1967 or newer vehicles pass an emissions test."

:wtf: There were no emission equipment in 1967. :confused:
I was in high school then. :eek::D
Do you have a link to that info?
LG

UNBELIEVABLE! :eek:
I stand corrected.:eek:
Az does have the :censored: worst(and dumbest:wtf:)SMOG law I have ever seen.:rolleyes:
And you have to have it tested every year. :mad:
LG

I knew of a very creative man here that ground of the 6 0 of the 360 on the sides of the block and made it 0 4 instead.
I couldn't tell it had been reconfigured.

I moved here from Oklahoma, where I could have registered a coal burning engine if the mood struck me.

I believe the 360 was available in a CJ5 in 1974, so I don't think that will be necessary

No stock 360's or 401's in CJ's. They never looked at my engine block, it is a V8 and that was good enough for them.

I forgot to mention the EGR and the PCV valves. I would definitely swap the fuel injection over.

Lumpy - My '69 MGB GT had an emissions pump and spiders. The pump was gone long before I owned the car, but the spiders were still there.

but the spiders were still there.

By "spiders" I assume you mean the air injection manifolds ?

I would imagine a google search of "spiders" would display other than air injection manifolds.

304,360,390 & 401 are all the same 'size' block.;)
Only the block stamping is the 'tell'.
HH-My, then new '67 Triumph Spitfire 4/mk2 hand nut'n for smog. :cool:

LG

Note the following in FourWheeler Magazine:

The complete smog pump kit from 4 Wheelers Supply has all the parts needed to refit the AIS. The driver-side manifold spider has only three hookups, since the power brake booster is in the way. All the factory exhaust manifolds are made that way, and the system bolts right in.

Lumpy - Not sure how far back the Smog pump went back with the MGB engines, back to '66 you can see them on most MGB engines you see on Craigslist.

This is what I got when googled "jeep spiders"

a7d40c603d076f46f9ca3a21ea795544.jpg

Spooky!

Nothing of value to add, just couldn't pass up the pun...

:D

Note the following in FourWheeler Magazine:

The complete smog pump kit from 4 Wheelers Supply has all the parts needed to refit the AIS. The driver-side manifold spider has only three hookups, since the power brake booster is in the way. All the factory exhaust manifolds are made that way, and the system bolts right in.

So the made up/fictional/incorrect name of the component, as used by a magazine, has now become the world standard of it's proper description ?

Spiders are what they have been called by many and I'm sorry but I will continue to call them spiders. The example given was only a quick grab, if I'm to be made to look the fool ...... never mind, hagar you are right, I never should have called them spiders ....... NOT!

Hagar - Are you actually going to troll me over this. Everybody I know calls them spiders. What I quoted was a parts list from a company that sells complete Jeep emissions systems based in Phoenix Arizona. The magazine didn't make the term up. If are, as you seem to be, intent on trolling me, please go after my actual errors.

Last edited:
everybody have a drink and cool down
no need forgetting upset, this is the net and we all live in different places, things can have different names
chill guys

I'm cool enough and I'm not wrong. I also understand that there are many ways to name the exhaust system air tubes. My only goal was to help someone local with a problem that I dealt with only a few years ago.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks