Build Thread '66 CJ5 project

Build Thread '66 CJ5 project
That's helpful info. Maybe I should hang a couple bug zappers near the rig! :laugh:

I'm really excited about this. Like many parts of this project, sparying is a first for me. I am upgrading phones Sunday so hopefully I will be handy enough with it to snap pics and upload them as I work. Could be helpful in getting feedback if anyone is checking the site Sunday.

Great thread, and great looking jeep! Looks like your making lots of progress. Your thread motivates me to get back to the garage to work on mine!

**Thanks for the comments, especially from a fellow Pac NW'er**

Patented Monday AM update: The Jeep is blue.

With Limited time and budget, a friend and I completed the prep and paint in about 20 hours. Eevrything we did was a bit rushed and we kinda learned as we went but overall it exceeded my expactations so I'm very happy. We sanded the old paint smooth, removed body hardware, laid some filler, patched the hole for the factory antenna mount, sanded smooth again, masked (which is the worst part), primed with 2 coats of epoxy primer and laid 2-3 coats of PPG Majolica Blue. There are imperfections in it absolutely and we oversprayed a bit on places but it looks 4 million times better than before paint and I saved money doing it myself. I was afraid since the paint had no metallix and is an omnimix rather than base/clear it would be dull but it finished with a nice sheen and glioss. That's before wxing/buff/polish. We finished it with fresh black on the hood catches/latches/hinges and inside of the windsheild frame to match the interior. We also added a winch cable hook and new tailgate chains.

I took several pics with my new phone (which is BA by the way) but I'm having trouble syncing it to email so I will manually load them later today for everyone to see.

If you remember the to-do list from months ago it is pretty much done a tthis point, so a newer one of functional items is started. I need a bikini top and tuffy console to keep insurance/registration and a few safety items.

Thanks to everyone who reads, I appreciate it greatly.

:chug:Cheers:chug:

Ordered black vinyl bikini top and black round-nose cheap-o middle console. hoping they will will arrive this week so they can go on/in over Memorial Day weekend.

This will take a few posts bc I can only throw up 5 at a time but here are the highlights from this weekend. A couple of filler and masking to give you an idea. Then how it turned out, and finally some of flex with the forklift just because I haven't had a chance to hit a trail yet.

More pics. Windshield turned out the most rough but we also spent the least amount of time prepping it. Still satisfied, and the inside finally matches the dash so it cleaned up a bit.

And a few final pics. Side by side shot of how it looked 4 months ago compared to now. My favorite pic of the day is the one with the headlights on, I think it turned out great. All pics were taken by the new cell phone with a 5 megapixel camera so I'm very happy with that. :)

Got console yesterday. Vertically Driven Products #320 Round-Nose locking console, black like everything else inside. I know it will fit in between the seats, but I'm hoping it will fit in between the shifter and start of the bed without disrupting 1st or 3rd gears...

UPS says the bikini top is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday so hopefully it doesn't rain on us camping this weekend!

I still need to upgrade the steering stabilizer, that will happen in the next few weeks.

Bikini top is on so no more rain worries. Console ended up being a bit less than an inch too long.. My options are to trim a bit and squeeze it in, return it, or sell it. I like it and want it in there so if I can do some minor trimming and get it to fit I would rather do that.

License plates and side mirrors getting bolted on today so it's actually legal on the road. Good day.

:chug:

P.S.- Anyone from the WA area check out Rimrock Lake on Hwy 12 by Naches, WA. Beautiful spot and I must have seen over 100 Jeeps (built rigs, not just Libertys..) pass our site in 2 days. I am still doing research but there have got to be some really great trails right up there.

Well I reached my goal last night. :D
Put on side mirrors and rearview mirror (even though they dont help out much yet) plus front and rear plates and took it around town. A really really great feeling. Lots of time in the garage on weekends when my friends were out and about, lots of time in the office thinking about how to fix this and that and how to allocate my small amount of funds to a long list of problems, that 20 minute cruise made it all worth it.

I can't exactly say I'm 'finished' bc rigs like these are never really finished. There will always be something else I want to put on or paint or swap out but now that its a runner I have a lot more freedom with it. Our season starts in 16 days and the weather is just starting to hit 80 regularly so I got it done right in time. Thanks again to everyone who followed and pitched in, it means a lot. Peace in the Middle East!

:chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug:

Jeep turned out pretty nice. There's tons of trails up by naches and antanhum(sp). The guys at links4jeeps are planning a camping/wheeling trip up there in july or august. If you ever wanna hit up some north east oregon trails, look me up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom