Build Thread '66 CJ5 project

Build Thread '66 CJ5 project
2 days of work this weekend and we were pretty productive. Installed my new shift boots, used the Duplicolor brand roll-on bedliner inside the entire tub (which turned out great! really solidified the whole feel of the inside and cleaned up the look BIG time), wire-wheeled/sanded/primed/painted the wheels black, and most importantly installed the new radiator. It wouldn't fit at first because the fan was hitting the bottom tube to the water pump so we cut out much of the sheet metal directly behind the grill. This let us virtually set the radiator directly on the front fram rail. We had to use 2 sections of flex tube from NAPA to achieve the right angles but the openings on the radiator are 1.5" and the smallest they had was 1.75". I rolled the dice and paid 40 bucks for them and tried to tighten them good with hose clamps but we still got a little drip at most all connection points. All I need to do is track down 2 sections of 1.5" flex tube and it will be just fine. Sorry no pics this week!

:chug:

Today I bought a set of 4 used BFG AT's at 33x12.50x15 to go on my freshly painted wheels as soon as I can get back to the shop. Only $100 for the set and they still have some life left. I also sold the 'wagon-style wheels' (thats what the buyer called them) on there now to a guy for $50 just as soon as I get the new combo put on. That means before mounting and balancing my wheel/tire combo has cost me $80. I'd say that's working with a budget.

I ordered a set of wheel spacers and they showed up today too. woohoo!! I bought 4 1.5" billet aircraft grade aluminum spacers that came with 20 lugnuts and instructions. After researching for a bit and finding others who have bought cheaper sets on Ebay were satisfied after 10's of thousands of miles on them I jumped in and got all 4 shipped for $118. I currently have a rubbing problem when I turn the wheel a couple turns and it drastically hurts my turning radius. This should correct that and hopefully give it a wider stance and improve handling a bit.

I guy in town here advertised a 4x4 yard sale on craigslist so I had to check it out. This place was crazy. At first it looked like a small junkyard with a few lawn ornaments but I kept looking under and behind things and he had enough individual parts to build a few rigs. He had a complete CJ3a for 1500, various tubs, grills, fenders, clips, frames, every variety of early jeep engine, all trannys, axles, columns, etc. He had 4 complete 5's each for sale, and a toyota fj40 in the shop. One 5 he had was a '60, all stock, 53k original miles and he wanted 3200 for it. It was a real beauty. a dark orange with the black split bench seat. The others for sale were modded and no more than 4k each. I need to go back and snap a couple pics of those. There were bays to his shop he didn't even open so lord knows what was in there. He had a professionally built bar with taps in the back of the shop bay and tons of stuff on the walls. He had a BFG brand bar neon light with a light up CJ in the middle. He wouldn't sell it to me... All I managed to pick up was a pair of rocker guards for $20 but this yard was CJ heaven. I could keep rambling about this place and I'm sure some of the regulars on here know of treasure yards around also but it was quite a sight. Sure wish I could pull mine in his shop and spend a weekend going over it with him.

Anyway, here are the rockers I picked up and the AT's from yesterday. Bored in my apt I scrubbed em in the bathtub (don't tell my landlord!).

Well the parts keep piling up. Today I bought 2 new flowmaster knockoff mufflers, with tips and hangers. They are 2.25" center inlet/offest outlet mufflers. I'm looking forward to welding all these up and putting them on this weekend. Hopefully it will decrease the obnoxious sound of the worn-out cherry bombs that are on there now.

Its going to be a buuuusy weekend. Since the last time I was in the garage I have accumulated:
wheel spacers
tires
rockers (which I'm thinking about mounting inside the tub as tie-down points maybe?)
new exhaust system
new side mirrors

My uncle is going to help out this weekend so hopefully he can knock out the seat brackets and steering column support. Pretty exciting stuff.

Peep, I really have enjoyed reading this thread
As you know I love the early Cj stuff (pre 72) and watching you do this has been a blast for me, I want to thank you for all the effort that has gone into this thread and want to encourage you to keep it up. Old Iron is the best.

Well thanks Baja, I appreciate that. If having a fun rig to put around in isn't motivation enough to complete my goal then your comments and support certainly are.

Saturday I was in the garage from 9am-11pm so needless to say it was a productive day. With my dad and uncle both helping we attacked all kinds of things. new tires and wheels went on great and a guy with a cool old Renegade came by to pick my old wagon wheels and worn out swampers. I installed the wheel spacers and found the P.O. had just one spacer on the front driver's wheel :eek: Not sure what that was about but the new stance is great and no tire rub in either direction. With the extra one in the back when I bought it plus this find on the wheel I can flip a pair of spacers and get back some $.

we stripped out the old seat brackets and fabbed up two sets of new brackets and welded them in, cut the old exhaust out and put in two new mufflers and homemade tips (my first welding experience ever and it won't be winning any awards but was pretty satisfying, also sounds much better), installed a choke cable to keep the engine at idle when it fires up, painted the frame black with rustoleum, quickly patched a few holes in the windshield frame, patched a hole on the steering column and cut out the old broken blinker arm and painted the column black to match the dash, installed the rocker guards I bought as tie-downs in the bed, lots of little things like that.

I felt so satisfied I even gambled (no license plate, blinkers, registration etc...:eek: ) a few blocks to grab a case of beer. I also got my first official Jeep courtesy wave from a guy in a pretty Rubicon.

Sure I'm missing a few things but here are a few updated pics. I also got a picture of the serial number so we can figure out exactly what year it is. I was told it's a '66 but who knows! Last pic is us at Mother's Day Brunch at Salty's in Seattle. (I'm far left)

Quick search and the VIN says it is a universal CJ5 frame, left-hand drive, Tuxedo Park Mark IV body with the 225 6 cylinder originally. Does not necessarily identify it as a '66, but pointed me in the right direction. Ironically enough my kitten's name is Tux.

I know the outside doesn't look like much has taken place but the new paint will fix that in a jiff. I still need to swap the steering wheel and paint the windshield frame black but these should give an idea of how much I've chipped away at the interior. The factory lap belts even line right up through the seat belt holes in my seats!

:chug:

That ball I used for the shift knob is an officical league ball for the team I work for. Check us out at yakimbears.com. I got the idea from Quadratec with the Major League ball but there's is $48!! I made mine for free :)

**On the mother's day pic up above a couple posts I'm the youngest one far RIGHT, not far left. That's my pop.**

So obviously the Cj needs paint. I have said from the beginning this vehicle would never win any awards, so I always planned and budgeted for the Maaco single spray job. Last I saw it was $250 with *some prep included.* I imagine when they see mine up close they will spend more time prepping and ding me for labor so I figured I could do a bit myself to smooth out the body, no problem there.

Then I got to thinking about towing it there and back (remember it is 2 hours from me and would require my dad to take time from his schedule to do so) and the price started moving up. With the possibility of being back in the garage Saturday evening and working all night and Sunday, is it possible for me to buy a gun and all the liquids and do it myself? I figure I save a ton doing so and will always have that sense of satisfaction when I see it. I plan on doing it right with a bit of filler, sanding/blocking, sealer, primer, paint, clear etc.

Would the $30 gun from Harbor Freight be able to handle this job? How much paint would be needed to cover the body a couple times over? Thanks for your input here I need to make up my mind in the next couple days.

Cheers :chug:

buy the $30 and spray some primer with it to get the hang. What kind of paint are you planning on ?? single part , two part, urethane, enamel??:cool:

Umm... blue?

Honestly I have no idea. I guess whatever they have that is un my budget. Is there something I should be looking for in terms of dry time or paint quality?

I'm looking at going kind of a dark indigo blue with diamond plate staying black. I'm also going to do the hood scoop black and the jeep logos on the sdie black and probably the windshield frame black.

I am not expert by a long shot. Painting technology changes faster than software updates. Check in at your local auto paint supply, go at some off time, tell the man what you want to do and I think you will be amazed at how much information you will receive. He can for sure tell you how much money you are going to spend. Do some serious surfing on auto painting and be sure to hit your local library. Remember, 98% of the professional car painters in the world started right where you are now, the information is out there, you just need to find it. Do your home work and have a good idea what you are doing before you start, one thing I know for sure is that automotive paint is expensive, you will be looking at easily $100 a gallon, you just want to do it once.
I would recommend a two part urethane. You will need to have a primer that is compatible with the top coat paint.

Thanks so much for the help IO. That is more than I anticipated for auto paint, I was thinking maybe half that or less. Turns out I will be playing golf this sunday and the next couple weekends are booked bc our staff is hosting high school state tourney baseball. BUT the old girl is getting towed to me finally Memorial Day Weekend. No more 2 hour commutes back and forth on weekends for a few hours of work.

This will give me more time to think about just exactly what I want to do and how much I am willing to spend. If I get it over here and its licensed so I can drive it around, it may be worth it to have it sprayed somewhere.

Monday AM update: Never ended up traveling back to work this weekend, instead spent a workday getting our stadium ready for opening day 6/18. We also spent Sunday hitting the links at Apple Tree Golf Club, check it out it's pretty neat.

Dad did donate a few hours of his own saturday. I can' t thank him enough, but he always says he enjoys it also so... He rewired the brake lights, apparently there was a bad ground and it was pulling juice from both. He also wired up a new flasher and blinker arm so I have turn signals now.

This week it is being registered and added to the insurance. Once the new tabs go on it it is finally road worthy. Pretty excited about it to say the least, especially since daytime highs are now 83 and rising. :chug:

IO- I took your advice and visited the local paint shop. The guys down at WESCO paint & supply helped me out. for $209.48 I got everything I need.

Epoxy Primer w/ catalyst
reducer
top-coat hardener
PPG 18446 dark blue

Not a sample of the exact product, but the picture is pretty darn close. Not metallic but has a little sheen to it. It may not be House of Kolor Chip Foose edition but it will look way better than the white roll-on that's on there now. I wanted something that wouldn't be mistaken for blue but wsan't too flashy. Dark but obvious to sit next to the black pieces.

It's an omni-plus so there will be no clear coat. I only have short time and a thin wallet so a few corners needed to be cut. It's got a good deep blue to it, almost a little menacing but brightens up really well in the sunlight. Not sure I'm going to do the scoop black anymore, probably won't have time or black paint to do so. Anyway, pretty excited for this sunday, and looking forward to posting a few pics for you guys to see.

Drove 70 miles to the nearest Harbor Freight and got the sale $14 HVLP purple handle gun. (One thing that irritates me about buying new air tools is they never have the right coupler so you have to hunt down the male plug to go with it....just include them!) also got a couple masks, sanding blocks, 300 grit, and filler. Ready to roll, just need to wait until Saturday night.

Our staff is hosting the high school state baseball tourney at our minor league park so I have to work games at 11, 2, and 5 on saturday. Factor in a 2 hour drive back to the garage after I'm off work (plus 2 hours back home sometime before my sales meeting monday at 8:30 A) and that gives me from late Saturday until late Sunday for filling, blocking, sealing, and painting. It's going to be interesting but I really only have one shot at it. wish me luck.

**And I misspelled our link above, its yakimabears.com**

I am going to suggest that you return to the paint store and see if they have a REAL PAINT RESPIRATOR. The two part epoxy primer , which is the best thing to use, can and will REALLY mess up your lungs and it does not go away. The particle mask type will not remove vapor. the respirator I am using is about $30 and is very well worth it, it is disposable but it will work for this whole project and maybe two more if you keep it in it"s zip lock bag. It has a real rubber seal , head straps and twin filters. :cool:

Drove 70 miles to the nearest Harbor Freight and got the sale $14 HVLP purple handle gun. (One thing that irritates me about buying new air tools is they never have the right coupler so you have to hunt down the male plug to go with it....just include them!) also got a couple masks, sanding blocks, 300 grit, and filler. Ready to roll, just need to wait until Saturday night.

Our staff is hosting the high school state baseball tourney at our minor league park so I have to work games at 11, 2, and 5 on saturday. Factor in a 2 hour drive back to the garage after I'm off work (plus 2 hours back home sometime before my sales meeting monday at 8:30 A) and that gives me from late Saturday until late Sunday for filling, blocking, sealing, and painting. It's going to be interesting but I really only have one shot at it. wish me luck.

**And I misspelled our link above, its yakimabears.com**

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. The shop is 3 blocks from my office so I can absolutely stop by. I am wondering why my rep didn't mention anything about it or ask if I had one already..

Question, will I be as exposed to the vapor if I'm spraying outside? I'm gunna bite the bullet and pray for minimal dust and what not to get in it, but outside of the warehouse on the parking lot surface is the only option available.... Thanks for lookin out IO.

water the parking lot down good. then the biggest problem is bugs and runs. you need some measuring cups for primer so you can primer the spots you work on, don't mix up the whole gallon of primer at one time, just enough to fill the cup 1/2 way. learn about how far the paint goes, it's a good thing to know. Primer is like the last layer of filler. :cool:

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. The shop is 3 blocks from my office so I can absolutely stop by. I am wondering why my rep didn't mention anything about it or ask if I had one already..

Question, will I be as exposed to the vapor if I'm spraying outside? I'm gunna bite the bullet and pray for minimal dust and what not to get in it, but outside of the warehouse on the parking lot surface is the only option available.... Thanks for lookin out IO.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks