Build Thread 3rd time down the rabbit hole...

Build Thread 3rd time down the rabbit hole...
Forum brethren, bunch of parts on Houston craigslist on 3 different posts. If any of you guys want something we might be able to work something out. I travel to Beaumont regularly. Columbus Tx, meh.... sometimes.

Forum brethren, bunch of parts on Houston craigslist on 3 different posts. If any of you guys want something we might be able to work something out. I travel to Beaumont regularly. Columbus Tx, meh.... sometimes.

So how do we know which adds are yours on CL in Houston ?

Mock up. Sch 40 socket weld with 1/2" pipe.

Attachments

• grab bar2.jpg
    grab bar2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 46
  • grab bar 1.jpg
    grab bar 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 58
Happy New Year Y'all!

Once I get back from deer hunting and haus/land hunting hopefully I'll be able to post some progress pictures. Life stuff put me in a time crunch over the last couple of weeks, so I took my ride to the shop for a engine swap. Between Christmas here and there and in box with a fox, working on trailers, running back and forth out towards Del Rio I just realized I can't do it all. I'm having my 360 pulled and replaced with that long block assembly I acquired (wife just shook her head and said I'm not surprised). LOL, there might have been an eye roll in there somewhere.

Happy New Years ! If you make it to Del Rio a great place to eat is Don Marcelinos. Was anyway last time I was there 15 years ago. Probably eaten there 15-20 times.

Good luck on your hunt, hope you get a Muy Grande!!!!
Only one week of season left here.

Well I got good news and bad news. Good news first. The hunting was good. Found a place that we will make an offer on next week. The steaks at Manuels were so gooood.

Now the bad news. The engine swap has not went well. First, I trust my mechanic in every sense. The engine builder has been in business a long time and has a good reputation. With that being said the oil pressure is in the basement. At cold start up I get 60+ after warm up I'm getting around 8/9 or less. At highway speed I'm getting around 25. Also suffering from an over heating issue, blowing out coolant around 199 to 204 degrees. Clutch is slipping something fierce. But wait! If you act now you can get a set of Ginsu steak knives. Well I'm getting the set because there is more. For reasons unknown to me my mech couldn't find a mechanical fuel pump for my fire breather. He called me while we were outta town and I gave him the OK to go with an electric fuel pump. So when ol' Trusty Rusty runs if the foot gets heavy on the right side the engine starves for fuel. It will die, but start right back up. I am still trying to put 500 miles on the break in oil.
So I talked with the builder and he thinks perhaps the oil filter relief valve may be stuck and recommends getting the rebuild kit. So one is ordered. They mounted the elec fuel pump up on the fender well on right side. Tomorrow I'll move it back closer to the tank.
Engine sounds pretty good to me, but I'm thinking if the timing is off a bit it maybe assisting with the engine overheat. I'll check that soon. I'll also build or get a radiator shroud. I may even put a restriction in the by pass jumper from the water pump to intake. I've read on the AMC engine forums that some folks have done that to help with the cooling. It is claimed more coolant will flow through the radiator. For the record, I've put a pump on the radiator and pressure checked the system. Seems pretty tight, no external leaks seen and haven't seen any chocolate milk on the dipstick. Also replaced the radiator cap and thermostat.
So I got my hands full as usual. Does someone know and exorcist or witch doctor? I'm probably forgetting to share but there is always tomorrow.

Man that really sucks !

Man that really sucks !

True that. But I was having an issue with the timing and as it was discovered the old block was bored over 060. So swapping would have eventually been on the agenda anyway. It's just mechanical so it can be fixed.

"My dad is a TV repairman. He has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it" Jeff Spicoli.

I have a new 21 gallon tank just sitting around, so I may as well install it. I still will have time before the we sell this place. I guess I'll shut up, sign off, and go turn wrenches.

98% done, gonna do a paracord wrap between the 45's at some point. Moved the fuel pump back near the fuel tank. So far seems to have fixed the fueling issue. I'll put some pictures later. Going back to west Texas Wednesday to close a deal on a nice little piece of property. Later boys.

Attachments

• cj7 1.jpg
    cj7 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 19
  • cj7 2.jpg
    cj7 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 22
  • cj 3.jpg
    cj 3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 25
Probably made 8-10 trips out to Big Bend NP and also west of there and Guadalupe national park and Carlsbad cavern. Beautiful out there. What area are you buying in. More north & east of the park ?

Probably made 8-10 trips out to Big Bend NP and also west of there and Guadalupe national park and Carlsbad cavern. Beautiful out there. What area are you buying in. More north & east of the park ?

We are buying a chunk near Seminole Canyon SP. It's gonna be nice. But this is a jeep forum so let's talk some jeep bs. So as far as overheating goes, I pulled the radiator and after closer inspection I discovered that is not as all would seem. It was a 2 row with a 3 row tank. With the cap off it looked like the first row was plugged; turns out it wasn't plugged they were sealed off. So I got a spare radiator checked out and it's ready for install. Now oil pressure issues, after checking around with some AMC folks they all recommend replacing the timing cover. It is known that the top of the oil pump gears wear into the cover creating more space/gap that allows for pressure drop. I ordered a new cover (which showed up today btw) and we'll see if that helps. So while I had the time I pulled the oil pan. Guess what I found on the screen of the oil pick up tube. Junk, trash, rag fibers, etc., so I tore apart the tube assembly. Turns out the screen had a hole in it around where the tube sits in the bell. For those who are thinking you can't spin the oil tube out with the engine between the fenders you'd be wrong. I'll post up pictures tomorrow on how I did that. Check out the pictures.

Attachments

• oilpickup3.jpg
    oilpickup3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 24
  • oilpickup4.jpg
    oilpickup4.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 19
  • oilpump.jpg
    oilpump.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 23
Started troubleshooting for oil pressure issues by rebuilding the oil pump. Tmrw as another thing to cross off the list, I'll check clearances by plastigage on the main bearing caps and rod bearings. There is no "knocking" from the bottom end so I think they'll be good. Hopefully, the new cover will fix the pressure issue. If not, then I'll looking for some voodoo and a witch doctor.

getting early B-day presents

Attachments

• boxes1.jpg
    boxes1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 25
Removing the oil pickup tube was part of the troubleshooting on the lack of oil pressure. I decided to check the screen and to see if maybe the tube was cracked, hence the removal. To get at it I removed the right side header, starter, and the mount for the engine mount. Used a 2x4 across the fenders with a come along to help support the weight of the engine. Then I was able to spin the tube out as it was in place in the engine block.

Attachments

• rigup1.jpg
    rigup1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
  • mainsandrods.jpg
    mainsandrods.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
  • rodcaps.jpg
    rodcaps.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 21
Found these in the oil pan today. I believe they were leftovers from the rebuild. Rod and main bearing caps aren't discolored from overheating. While breaking in the new engine there hasn't been any knocking from the bottom end. Did not plastigage the bearing today it was too cold by my standards. Maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

• bits.jpg
    bits.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 21
  • oilpan.jpg
    oilpan.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Working on fabbing up a fan shroud while the engine is at the machine shop. Made a cardboard template and tested for fit.

Attachments

• fanshroud1.jpg
    fanshroud1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 14
  • fanshroud2.jpg
    fanshroud2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 14
  • fanshroud3.jpg
    fanshroud3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 18
  • fanshroud4.jpg
    fanshroud4.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 17

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom