Build Thread 3rd time down the rabbit hole...

Build Thread 3rd time down the rabbit hole...

Project86

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ 7 Blue
2004 Chevy LWB CC,
2012 Corvette Grand Sport
1986 CJ 7 Red Garnet
1978 CJ 7 Kinda Orangish
Just trailered this one home about a week ago. 1978 CJ7 AMC 360 3 speed. I haven't decided which way this is gonna go for a build yet. The final product will be freshly painted; color... unknown. Motor will see some horsepower upgrades; which ones...not sure. The only thing I'm 90% on is changing the dash into some type of hybrid.

The good: Plenty of extras; winch, rock sliders, racks in the back, decent bumpers, 360! Headers!, tires so new the little rubber titties are still present, new body mounts, new leaf spring (might be bad at this point..could change to coil overs), original tub, how about those cool graphics?!, new soft top and doors, new bikini top, hardly any bastardization on the wiring under the hood.

The bad: As usual body cancer in a couple of spots, but nothing really bad, couple of usual oil leaks, winch remote was lost, starting issue with key/lock cylinder, really hadn't enough time to investigate everything.

I took a job yesterday as a consultant and I think I'll use it as a daily driver and do some of the shake down testing during my commute of roughly 15 minutes. So don't be bashful ya'll. throw your ideas and comments out there something might stick with me.

Attachments

• CJ78.7.jpg
    CJ78.7.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 96
  • CJ78.6.jpg
    CJ78.6.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 90
  • CJ78.12.jpg
    CJ78.12.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 72
  • CJ78.13.jpg
    CJ78.13.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 102
  • CJ78.1.jpg
    CJ78.1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 136
Finally got a few minutes to post up some more pictures. Coming soon engine pix.

Attachments

• CJ78.2.jpg
    CJ78.2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 73
  • CJ78.3.jpg
    CJ78.3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 61
  • CJ78.10.jpg
    CJ78.10.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 92
  • CJ78.11.jpg
    CJ78.11.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 68
  • CJ78.8.jpg
    CJ78.8.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 76
Looks real nice ! Why was the owner selling a nice rig like that, just moving on ?

Just trailered this one home about a week ago. 1978 CJ7 AMC 360 3 speed. I haven't decided which way this is gonna go for a build yet. The final product will be freshly painted; color... unknown. Motor will see some horsepower upgrades; which ones...not sure. The only thing I'm 90% on is changing the dash into some type of hybrid.

The good: Plenty of extras; winch, rock sliders, racks in the back, decent bumpers, 360! Headers!, tires so new the little rubber titties are still present, new body mounts, new leaf spring (might be bad at this point..could change to coil overs), original tub, how about those cool graphics?!, new soft top and doors, new bikini top, hardly any bastardization on the wiring under the hood.

The bad: As usual body cancer in a couple of spots, but nothing really bad, couple of usual oil leaks, winch remote was lost, starting issue with key/lock cylinder, really hadn't enough time to investigate everything.

I took a job yesterday as a consultant and I think I'll use it as a daily driver and do some of the shake down testing during my commute of roughly 15 minutes. So don't be bashful ya'll. throw your ideas and comments out there something might stick with me.

I'm one of those "drive it as is" kind of people. Really looking at it in pics, I would'nt go crazy with it. But I know how things go. I started planning on mine, one piece axles, still on garage floor. Upgrade tans to an NP435 from the T-150, NP 435 revuilt but still on garage floor. Rebuild front end, ordered all the parts, still sitting on work bench. I did however install the lift kit, wheels and tires and front and rear bumpers and some maintenance issues. I just can't get my butt out of the drivers seat. Good luck though. I'd drive and leave as is., just me though.

Looks real nice ! Why was the owner selling a nice rig like that, just moving on ?

He also had a fastback mustang sitting in the garage, a 69 I think it was. He wanted to do a first class resto on that. As fate would have it, we clenched the deal around Valentines day. I told him that now he could buy his sweetheart something really nice to show his affection... like a supercharger. Then I reminded him not to forget something for his wife.

I'm gonna have to agree with you Jafo on the drive as is. The patina of the original color has grown on me. I'm thinking of clear coating the paint and calling it good. Engine mods are still on the table though. If for nothing else having a piece of mind that I've seen the guts of it and know whats there. Still gonna do something with the dash and and maybe a little bit on the interior. After doing the 2 rebuilds for the kids I really didn't want a full blown redo again, besides I'm getting to old for that much work. I was trying retirement before going back to help a friend do some consulting.

He also had a fastback mustang sitting in the garage, a 69 I think it was. He wanted to do a first class resto on that. As fate would have it, we clenched the deal around Valentines day. I told him that now he could buy his sweetheart something really nice to show his affection... like a supercharger. Then I reminded him not to forget something for his wife.

g.

Sounds a little like the story I heard from a guy I talked to a couple weeks ago at work. He was showing me some pictures of I think it was a 78 Levi Edition edition CJ7 that belonged to his dad who died last year. Anyway he needs to build a garage to work on vehicles. He's not that interested in the Jeep because his dad also had a 61 or 62 Corvette that he wants to work on and drive. Both looked really nice.

So if you're feeling lucky and have a half day to kill; get a lottery ticket and go fishing. I decided to change this little SOB. So here are a couple of the pictures I'll got into the dissertation next time.

Attachments

• Rb3.jpg
    Rb3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 91
That spring with the tin cap and square hole, well it brings it's own special misery. Before it was over my tool box threw up all over the floor board, seat, and hood. It's time for a martini, shower and bed.

Attachments

• Rb4.jpg
    Rb4.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Rb5.jpg
    Rb5.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Rb2.jpg
    Rb2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Rb1.jpg
    Rb1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 69
So that little tin cap has a set of ears/tabs on it that must be rotated to release 'em so the spring will come out and the repair can proceed. Sorry I wasn't smart enough to take a picture when I was doing this but I was kinda rolling along and didn't think about it. My hand drawn picture scribble might help someone along the way. So I put a combo wrench on the steering shaft along with the steering wheel nut. My Ez-Out set is made from square stock, so I chose the one that fit inside the hole. So happens a 5/16 fit on the one that fit the hole. Now it gets tricky.. the ez out and the wrench have to held in such a manner to be pushed down and the ez out turned with the wrench. In my case I had a helper turn the ez out with the wrench.

To re-install, I used a deep socket and extension. Found a socket that allowed me to push the tin cap and spring back into it's hole and then I could turn the ez out with the wrench. Going back I did it by myself, but it was a …. the letter B and rhymes with ditch.

Attachments

• Column2.jpg
    Column2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Column1.jpg
    Column1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 39
Ok, I need some schooling. I'm 99% this pix shows what is commonly referred to as a "two piece" axle. I'm wanting to do a rear disc brake conversion to stop the additional horsepower. Ol' Trusty Rusty is already running a AMC 360 with Holley 4 barrell, hopefully more engine upgrades will be in the budget. Anywho, with additional horsepower I'd like a more updated brake package. So as far as brakes and axles goes what are the best options. Go to a one piece axle with the SSBC upgrade kit or leave the axle as is and get the SSBC kit? Or is there a better brake upgrade kit? Right now, my research keeps coming up with as if SSBC is the only option. I'll hang up and listen.

Attachments

• Rearaxle1.jpg
    Rearaxle1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 67
After I slept on it I realized the above post may be misleading. I have search the web for upgrade kits. I'm not interested in chasing down parts from different makes or models at salvage yards or different sites. I'd like a one stop shop. I have the bill hughes dissertation on changing em out. I did find the TSM kit also.

It's kinda hard to keep a clean windshield without a bottle and pump. I found this bottle from a 2001 Ram 1500. Looked about right, pump outlet points to the drivers side, electrical plug would be easy to get to, pump change out would be easy also. I'll need to go back and change out the nuts I used for spacing at some point. I just used what I had on hand today. Squirts so hard to goes over the windshield, but I think at speed the wind will put it on the glass. Road test tomorrow.

Attachments

• Rb6.jpg
    Rb6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Rb7.jpg
    Rb7.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Rb8.jpg
    Rb8.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Rb10.jpg
    Rb10.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Rb11.jpg
    Rb11.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 43
Off topic, if the pictures look right on the pc, why do they post sideways?

While I had the mojo working today I started the under hood light addition I snatched up from a early model 90s Chevrolet. These little gadgets were kinda cool the reel would unspool about 12-15 foot and the base was magnetic so it would stick to a back fender for like a flat change at night. I used a galvanized 2x4 bracing bracket which I bent and then drilled 2 holes in to use the windshield bracket on the hood and then used to 2 small self tappers to the hood channel. I ordered LED to upgrade the old style bulbs. I'll finish the wiring once they come in.

Attachments

• Rb12.jpg
    Rb12.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34
  • rb13.jpg
    rb13.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Rb14.jpg
    Rb14.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Rb15.jpg
    Rb15.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Rb16.jpg
    Rb16.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 41
While I had the mojo working today I started the under hood light addition I snatched up from a early model 90s Chevrolet. These little gadgets were kinda cool the reel would unspool about 12-15 foot and the base was magnetic so it would stick to a back fender for like a flat change at night. I used a galvanized 2x4 bracing bracket which I bent and then drilled 2 holes in to use the windshield bracket on the hood and then used to 2 small self tappers to the hood channel. I ordered LED to upgrade the old style bulbs. I'll finish the wiring once they come in.

Those are cool I mounted one on my '78 Chevy Pu.

Original under hood light if anyone wants it speak up. Dirty as all get up, needs a good cleaning for that all original restoration.

Ordered Moser axle kit today and disc brake upgrade kit from TSM. Now the waiting starts.

Attachments

• Original hood light.jpg
    Original hood light.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 40
uh oh.... waiting on the disc package now. I don't know if it is more like the old Hienz ketchup commercial or Christmas; either way I'm waiting.

Attachments

• Rb17.jpg
    Rb17.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
mock up before final assembly

Attachments

• mock up.jpg
    mock up.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 63

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks