Electrical 1985 CJ7 needs a lot of help

AndyCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ7, 258 and a bunch of unknowns
I have a 1985 CJ7 that's had some modifications done to it by previous owners. The engine and mechanicals are mostly stock but all the emissions components have been removed.

The wiring is a complete mess. There are free wires hanging in the engine bay, zip ties holding some things in place, wires outside of looms everywhere, etc. Most of the lights work, except for one of the front turn signals (it's not the bulb). The voltmeter gauge works. There are aftermarket mechanical gauges that don't work, and the factory oil pressure gauge has been replaced with a printed piece of paper. There's an aftermarket tach that works and the speedometer moves but I haven't driven it enough to know how accurate it is.

The vacuum system in the Chilton's manual looks pretty complex, but mine looks a lot different. I have a single vacuum line to the distributor and nothing else. There are no EGR solenoids, charcoal canisters, or anything else. The fuel vapor return system is gone as well.

It has a duraspark-II ignition - I'm pretty sure, at least. The white wire that connects to the ignition module seems to be one of the wires that ends in the engine bay. It's not connected to anything. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be connected to but it seems to run fine without it.

I've driven it around on some short trips. Fuel drains back into the tank pretty quick so if it sits for a few days it takes a bit to start. I drove it once about 20-30 minutes and it just lost power and died and wouldn't restart. It kind of seemed like vapor lock to me. Once it cools off it's fine. How likely is it that the missing fuel vapor system is why it doesn't like to run for too long?

I would like to upgrade to power brakes. Does anyone have any information on converting to the teardrop style intake to make room for the booster and master cylinder (without spending a ton of money)? I also notice that the front brake line from the master has been replaced (with a hand-bent, coil-less piece) and the rear one looks pretty weak in places. I probably will replace the whole brake system. Any tips/advice on that?

I don’t think AndyCJ7 is experiencing vapor lock. He needs to soak the fuel pump with a garden hose as soon as the problem arises. Then start the engine. If this doesn’t help, vapor lock is ruled out. If this helps, replace the fuel pump.

Here’s my take on what to do when not using a heater core: cap the ports instead of looping. This way you are forcing all coolant flow to the radiator. If you loop, you are allowing a fair amount of coolant to bypass the radiator resulting in a hotter engine or reduced cooling system efficiency.

What Patric said, vapor lock happens due to fuel percolating in the fuel line, a dual outlet fuel filter where it can run back to the tank will alleviate that(also don't route fuel lines near engine/exhaust manifold), But yes, hook up your cooling system correctly, it should never be capped off and will heat the manifold and possibly boil the fuel in the carburetor's bowl, causing hard start till the bowl refills. If heater core bypass is required it should only be looped back to itself right before entering the heater core still allowing the coolant to continue it's flow.
In the 80's full size Jeeps with 258's had heater control valves. This blocked coolant to the heater core - the same as blocking it off with no bypass. It's OK to cap the nipples instead of using a loop back.

5652812_cfv_74612_alt2_pri_larg.jpg

Looks like that new green algae fuel maybe in there

There may be another explanation for why it died after I drove it for 20 minutes. It looks like the bowl vent has been disabled. The lever and spring are both missing and the vent itself is capped. I can't seem to find the parts all that easily.

Since this isn't a stock carb or even an available carb on this jeep, I have a few options:

- buy a used 2280 on ebay and scavenge it for parts. I already bought a 2280 rebuild kit. These seem like decent carbs based on what I've googled. I will have to figure out a way to permanently fix the throttle return spring. Can someone post a picture of what theirs looks like?

- buy a replacement stock carb for it - looking for suggestions for both carb and vendor

- put it back together and hope it runs? I don't really like this one

Throw it in the trash and get a sniper EFI. If that's not in the budget get an MC 2100

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

^What Manic said

Ran 'em both

No truer words have been spoken

I went from AMC 4 cly 150 with Weber to AMC 258 with Sniper. OMG Didn’t know what I was missing.

Sniper EFI on 258 best upgrade to my Jeep to date 5bd2f73e943c483271193c984904512f.jpg

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom