Build Thread 1983 CJ7 Mercedes Turbo Diesel Conversion

Build Thread 1983 CJ7 Mercedes Turbo Diesel Conversion
I always thought a Mercedes was a little more out of the box than a Cummins or 6.2/6.5. It has been done before though.

The T4 I have in it has about 2000 miles on it, so I think I'm okay for a little while haha. An ax15 will replace it eventually, but until it blows I'll rock the T4 ;)

Ditch that 304 and go diesel!

2500 miles on the swap, and averaging 23-25MPG!

Fun story: I pulled up to the diesel pump, and waited for the truck on the other side to finish pumping so I could use the nozzle. He was in his truck, so he didn't hear me pull up. When he got out, so did I, and after he racked the pump, I waited for it to clear (so I didn't pump on his tab), and then proceeded to grab it. About this time he's just staring at me as I'm walking to the back of the jeep and says "no, that's not a diesel?" I slide the pump in, pull the trigger and start pumping and say (with a smirk) "Yup, it is." Shoulda seen the look on his face! I then told him about the swap and we went on our ways. Just another day!

Also, is there any big jeep meeting in Michigan that anybody knows of? I'd be interested in going to one.

I'm also in need of some parts (on the cheap.) I need the passenger mirror, a rear-view mirror, the hood tie down, and the plate that surrounds the striker assembly on the passenger hard-door.

So how is the power delivery on the highway when you want to pass and even from a stop? Comparing to a 258 is it better worse or just different?

It's better. It pulls way harder. I have no problems blowing around somebody. Let it rev, and it'll go right past them. The highway cruising rpm for this diesel is 3000. Off the line an out of the boost its slower. But if you adjust the pump it spools very fast with almost zero lag. That's my experience anyways.

Good info thanks. I have a buddy who loves these motors and is pushing me to do this swap. Well see.

I may have a rearview mirror for you. I'll see if I can find it, I'm getting ready to move so it may be a week before it turns up. I'll let you know.

That'd be awesome! Thanks.

Kane: make sure to get all the Other stuff with an engine. A whole car may be the best route.

And sometimes cheaper in the end to buy the whole vehicle.

Definitely cheaper. I'll make money on the swap after I part out the rest of the Benz

Still impressed...very good skills and knowledge to pull of the switch like that. Excellent job...post some more youtube vids of it running if you can.

In need of some help guys! The yoke on the output of the d300 for the rear axle is loose. By loose I mean the little straps are not holding the u joint in tight. I tried tightening the bolts, but it appears that one of the bolts is frozen in tight, and I'm leery of reefing on it and breaking it off inside the yoke. What should I do? Should I jus go ahead and drill them all out? I have a u bolt style yoke for the AMC20, and can rob parts off that. Need help quick! I gotta drive this tomorrow!

I'll get some better vids up ASAP! Thanks, it means a lot!

So it sounds like the Uni-Joint retaining bolts, and not the Driveshaft Yoke Retaining Bolt ?
If it"s the front you can remove the whole shaft if you get stuck, and only drive on the rear.
Either way sounds like you've got the dreaded combination of needing patience and a cool head with a ticking clock in the background.
Only advice lots of "Bolt Off" (we call it over here) and just keep trying to work it off ??
Maybe some single hex sockets too ??

If you are lucky like me, you will have to find some E-sockets to fit those tiny bolts too. I found the correct tool the other day, but the PO had already ruined four out of eight of these. Any quick fixes on getting these tiny fellas out?

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

The bolt heads are fine, but the shaft of the bolt is frozen in solid :/
Maybe some heat?

If you are lucky like me, you will have to find some E-sockets to fit those tiny bolts too. I found the correct tool the other day, but the PO had already ruined four out of eight of these. Any quick fixes on getting these tiny fellas out?

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

I realized I hijacked your thread. I made a new thread and responses should please be put there. Again, sorry for the mistake.

PhotoJan2653005PM.jpg
PhotoJan2653022PM.jpg

Spinning in the snow! We have about a good foot of fluffy, almost sugary snow. Fun to drive through!

Looks like fun! I'm kinda glad I was sweating here at daylight duck hunting though.

Drove in snow once, turning around 180degrees doing 30mph is enough to make a man need a new seat......

Around here they salt way more than they plow, so naturally the big wide tires on the CJ want to hydroplane on all the resulting slush. What a nightmare to drive in. The road commission creates more accidents and hazardous driving conditions then they prevent.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks