1983 CJ7
3" Suspension Lift
2 Inch Body lift
Fiberglass tub with hardtop and doors
AMC20 and Dana30
D300 Tcase
T4
Mercedes 5 cylinder turbo diesel
Hey there everyone, new here and new to the Jeep scene. I'm 18, and have been working on anything mechanical since I can remember. Learned from my dad, and then took it a step further and taught myself from reading forums, book, and anything I could get my hands on. It's my passion.

The Jeep was purchased a long time ago, along with the fiberglass tub, fiberglass tailgate, offy intake, holley carb and new springs, axle rebuild, poly mounts, ect. Unfortunately interest was lost, and it sat until this summer when I decided I wanted the old CJ to be mine.

I assembled the 258, got the tub on and cut out, axles under it, engine in, nutter bypass completed, tranny and tcase in, tank under it, ect. Got it to fire, discovered a million problems, and kept throwing money and parts at it until all of the broken stuff was replaced or rebuilt ;)
IMG_1133.jpg
IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1259.jpg

Took it for a drive around the yard, parked it, and stood back: I didn't like what I saw. It was too common, everyone has a 258, carbed, intake/headers, blah blah blah
So out the 258 came for the final time, and in its place went a 1985 Mercedes 300D inline 5 cylinder turbo diesel (OM617). 20hp more than the 258, but due to having a short stroke and 3L of displacement it has 30ft/lbs less torque (more on this later.)
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg

I made the mounts, wiring, controls, ect myself, and the engine to bellhousing adapter was sourced through merceded 4x4. The engine bolts right up to the t4 and uses the jeep flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, ect. I adapted the oil pressure sensor to the engine, along with water temp probe so the jeep sensors are also used. I got the glowplug wiring in, cooling system adapted, and oil pan notched. Started the engine, and all I can say is AWESOME ;)

IMG_1476.jpg
IMG_1474.jpg
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1533.jpg
IMG_1532.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1528.jpg

Final assembly followed. I opted for twin electric fans (3100CFM), an aluminum radiator, and a big 10 row oil cooler for the engine. It runs nice and cold. I've got a few hundred hours into the Cj so far, but it's worth it all! All done by me, and with all my own money.

I've licensed it, and took it out on the road, and this diesel has WAY more torque off the line and throughout the entire rpm range, a LOT more. It keeps pulling! The 258 must get it's numbers from some peak in the rpm curve. The CJ can really accelerate now. Still waiting on MPG numbers, and I need to regear from the 2.73's I currently have, which are way to tall for the 33's I have on it. 3.73's would be a lot better, but I'm broke so I have to roll with what I have for now.

I still need to build a rear bumper, tank skid, some exhaust stuff, get a new fuel gauge, seal some doors up and drive the wheels off it!

Let me know what you think! And thanks for reading!

:ww:

I think that @ 18 years young you do excelent work and have a great imagination! :)

You should be very proud of your CJ. I have a feeling that one piece axles will be in your very near future though... ;)

:wtf: an 85 Mercedes Diesel WOW :notworthy: HELLA NICE WORK and your CJ looks great Welcome aboard :chug:

One piece axles and trussing are on the to-do list! A few says ago my dad BURIED his tractor in mud out in the woods and was convinced we'd need a bulldozer to pull it out. Mud was up to the axles, and the tractor had bottomed out on its belly. He said there was no way for me to get back there (a challenge right!?) I actually was able to crawl back between the trees, it was so narrow I had trees rubbing down both sides of the tub and top, mirrors were folded in. I was able to get a strap on him, and gave it everything I had, and amazingly pulled the 3000 some pound tractor out (with woodsplitter and loader on.) I was impressed! I actually was dragging him back until the ground was solid enough to get him up on land. Diesel saved a diesel!

awesome ride and amazing way to work a diesel in to the cj
:up:

Good job on the Jeep I really like it :notworthy: you are wise beyond your years.

Woah, that is pretty cool! Definitely a different idea than most. Very nicely done. :chug: Have any 258 parts you want to get rid of?

Woah, that is pretty cool! Definitely a different idea than most. Very nicely done. :chug: Have any 258 parts you want to get rid of?
What are you looking for?

What are you looking for?

I would be interested in the Offy intake if it will work with the Hedman header I just bought. If they are the same thickness where they mount to the engine. What else do you have? Send me a pm so I don't cludder your tread. Thanks.

I would be interested in the Offy intake if it will work with the Hedman header I just bought. If they are the same thickness where they mount to the engine. What else do you have? Send me a pm so I don't cludder your tread. Thanks.
I asked because I have a stock 258 sitting in my garage. No Offy intake sorry.

I asked because I have a stock 258 sitting in my garage. No Offy intake sorry.

Oh, thanks man. Wish you were closer. I may need another at some point. My oil pressure isn't the greatest. But I guess they never are on a 258. Just got the header so I was thinking if doing a 2100 and an intake at the same time. Of course, I could always just throw in a merc diesel and call it a day, haha.

To say I am impressed would be an understatement. Really nice work marrying up the diesel to the jeep and tranny. That is some quality work. Great job.

Thanks guys! I have a lot of things planned for it, but it all takes money that I don't have at the moment. I want to make it into a great back road and two track jeep. Lightbar, winch, rear bumper, gas tank skid, ect are all on the to-do list. It's getting better than 15MPG, because I would've already run out of diesel haha

Took the doors off last night and hit some two tracks! Way cool!

This isn't my first diesel swap, when I was 16, I swapped a VW TDI 1.9L turbo diesel into a 1983 VW Rabbit GTI. I had to make all the brackets, I converted the injection pump over to a complete mechanical pump, and put the tdi trans in it. Here's a vid 1983 VW Rabbit GTI TDI Diesel (1Z) Conversion - YouTube
It was a neat swap too. I just love diesels :D The diesel CJ sure turns some heads on the road and at the pump.

Bought a rear bumper from nates4x4 out of Midland Michigan. Great bumper!

But that allowed me to tow things, and a few days later I bought a 1966 Bronco for $350 that I'll be towing home sometime this winter or spring.

Wow a '66 bronco for $350 is it a rust bucket if not good score

It's sat outside for years with the windows down, but everything is there. It's got a good 1/2 cab on it, an auto and the v8. Needs some panels replaced, but its not at all a "rust bucket." I'm the 3rd owner, all from the same county. Tranny was rebuilt a year before it was parked, and it ran to where it sits. Has a clear title!

Sorry for the bad pics, it was snowing and totally dark.
IMG_1607.jpg
IMG_1606.jpg
IMG_1605.jpg
IMG_1604.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks