Build Thread 1983 CJ7 FRANKEN-J build

Build Thread 1983 CJ7 FRANKEN-J build
Yeah, I remember pressing gears and such. It was fun when I was younger and first starting my build. I could get it done in a day. Now it probably take me all week lol. Fist step, get the unit out and let it sit for a week while I recoup hahah. But if you do have to do an adapter shaft, you'll have to press the gears and such off the old shaft unless you just replace them new, then you have to press the new ones on. Maybe you can buy the whole shaft with gears and everything from Novak or JB conversions. Then it's just take out and replace. My Jeep is a mixed bag.... Jeep engine, Chevy Trans, Jeep TC, Chevy front w/ Ford spindles, ford rear, Chevy calipers w think Durango roters on the rear. Durango steering box.....
arghhhh, pressing bearings, not looking forward to that, was hoping it was simple stuff like snap rings etc

do you have to press any out doing the adapter/shaft install, or was that only due to you rebuilding the Dana?

do you have to press any out doing the adapter/shaft install, or was that only due to you rebuilding the Dana?
This was the new input shaft. Had to press these gears off and I think a bearing. Maybe Novak has a unit you can buy and bolt in.

[000235].jpg

well :dung:, 2 options, adapt the Dana 300 to the NV300, or use JB SYE conversion and keep the current even stronger TC but with the driverside output, means replacing axles, which I was contemplating anyhow with a set of Chevy 4x4 axles form an older donor, then just buy chevy to 5x5-1/2 adapters for the wheels. Or no adapters and extend the wheelbase, although some of the aftermarket driveshafts are as short as 9-10 inches

well :dung:, 2 options, adapt the Dana 300 to the NV300, or use JB SYE conversion and keep the current even stronger TC but with the driverside output, means replacing axles, which I was contemplating anyhow with a set of Chevy 4x4 axles form an older donor, then just buy chevy to 5x5-1/2 adapters for the wheels. Or no adapters and extend the wheelbase, although some of the aftermarket driveshafts are as short as 9-10 inches
Ford Dana 44 is 5x5.5. If you do get the Chevy Dana 44 you can just do Ford spindles. That's what I did. Found an old Bronco in the junkyard and got the spindles off it for my front axle. My drive shaft came from Ebay. I just sent him measurements. Think it was 150 bucks each for the drive shaft. My only issue was trying to find a U-Joint for the Ford 9 Turned out my rear yoke on the F9 was of the big cap u-joint type. That was a task finding one to fit lol. Think I ordered 2 just to have one on hand lol. Never knew there was select Ford 9 that had a big cap option until I dug into it.

I actually created a book on axles and such from all the material I've found all over the internet back then so I could have them on hand instead of trying to find what forum or web page I found the info on. I haven't looked at it in a while and don't remember all the info that is in it lol.

20220710_154400.jpg

I actually created a book on axles and such from all the material I've found all over the internet back then so I could have them on hand instead of trying to find what forum or web page I found the info on. I haven't looked at it in a while and don't remember all the info that is in it lol.

View attachment 76077
I’ve actually put together some binders of items I’ve found over the years. Trying to remember where I found things was troublesome. In the forums I snap a picture then print that and stick in the binder under categories

I’ve actually put together some binders of items I’ve found over the years. Trying to remember where I found things was troublesome. In the forums I snap a picture then print that and stick in the binder under categories
Yeah, it's great to just have that stuff on hand. I carried it to the junk yard when looking for parts to make sure I was getting what I wanted from my research.

ok, decision time, looks like I've acquired both YJ front and rear 410 axles, so, which transfer case, Chevy, already clocked right, no adapters needed, just custom drive shafts, (possibly shorten tailshaft adapter)
or the Dana 300, clocked wrong, needs adapter and 32 input spline shaft kit...I would probably need to sell it and buy a TC from a YJ/TJ and adapter to the NV3500.
Cost wise, if I need to shorten the Chevy TC that would be the only major change, both setups will need custom drive shafts more than likely, front will be longer rear shorter.

Keep me in mind if you do decide to sell the three hundred. The best shipping rates can be had if you ship it directly from ups or fedex large logistical warehouses. My zip code is 79936.

Since you are using a YJ frame, why not look for an entire YJ drivetrain with an AX fifteen but no engine. The SBC is piece of cake to adapt. Looks like what you now have is a YJ with a CJ front clip. Just a thought. I know you already invested in components.

Since you are using a YJ frame, why not look for an entire YJ drivetrain with an AX fifteen but no engine. The SBC is piece of cake to adapt. Looks like what you now have is a YJ with a CJ front clip. Just a thought. I know you already invested in components.
Check out @caveman, he runs aa YJ with a CJ front end.

Thought about that before I went and bought the NV3500 and TC, I'd have to sell it to fund the AX15, and then would need the TC for that, bellhousing for sbc chevy to ax15....I don't know why, but the thought of using the chevy 1/2 ton drivetrain gives piece of mind in a light little Jeep lol.
Nothing set in concrete yet, after the frame is sanded this week coming and I start to assemble the suspension, I guess I'll re-visit the whole idea.
Not a YJ with a CJ nose, and entire 83 CJ7 with a TJ tub, rotted frame getting a YJ frame and axle transplant. 4.2L auto AMC20@2:76 and Dana 30 front I believe. The good was the 4.2 power steering, HEI, carb no emissions anywhere.

Keep me in mind if you do decide to sell the three hundred. The best shipping rates can be had if you ship it directly from ups or fedex large logistical warehouses. My zip code is 79936.
I'll let you know, but I'll probably looking for 3-350 area for the TC and about the same for the T4, cuz that's what they sell for around here and I need the extra funds for the project. Will also be listing both 4.2's and the auto if I stick with the sbc. I think 3x oe radiators, brain boxes, a lot of extra little stuff as well.

Picked up my front axle, older YJ with the vacuum style 3 piece shafts, isn't there a cable hack or kit to replace the vacuum? I've also heard of using not sure what model/year cherokee 1 piece axle replacement...any write ups on either?

`Flip the shifter over and it keeps it connected all the time. Doesn't seem to make any difference driving. Newer jeeps did away with it. Or get some aftermarket axles. If you do any hard off roading you will need them. The U joints in a YJ Dana 30 are very weak.

ok, I think for the first attempt, I'm going to do the DIY mod heavy duty push pull turn lock cable to engage the cad, I like the thought of 2wd for some even if so slight fuel economy. After extensive reading seems like a lot of opinions favor the CJ axles over what they call inferior YJ axles.
The Franken-J will probably be a stepping stone to an even more creative off road but very street-able toy. This will have a lot of experimentation here and there to see what works and doesn't and the cost of certain modifications.
There's at least one more future Jeep resurrection2022-07-17_181718.jpg

Much to your advantage, most (if not all) of your endeavors have already been done by other good fellas. Keep on reading up. Post up your progress.

Utilizing a YJ frame has the rear link from frame to axle, any real use for this thing other than Jeep trying to make the public feel safer with a non-functioning component...on leaf springs, really?

If you're going to race in road rally's or drive it like a sports car, They might help some. One of the first thing I did with mine was to take them off.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks