Status
Not open for further replies.
1980 Laredo purchase update and Pic's

dariopop

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Cj-7
Thanks for all of the help from you guys on this forum , I purchased the Laredo and she's home sitting in the corner of my garage for the time being ,hated to let it go because it was such a good deal,got it home and all I did was wash the dust off of her,next few days I'll give it a wax job and put some new gas in.I don't know how long it will sit in my garage because I really don't know if I want to get into jeeps at this time, but thanks for all of the info .
043.jpg
045.jpg
040.jpg
047.jpg

Wow !! Thats a real clean CJ !!! :chug:

Thanks Hole, take a look at my original post a few days ago and you can see how I found it , I offered the guy $3,000 and he delivered it to my house.

Wow all over again!! If I were any closer I'd offer to take her off your hands;) Good score !!!

Update on my Jeep, this thing is really getting in my way in my garage!!! I know nothing about jeeps and as I said before I am a Corvette guy. I think I may get rid of her,you guys know jeeps,take a look at it and let me know what I should ask for it. Original 64,210 miles on it , engine runs like a sewing machine.
A little history on it; 1980 CJ7 Larado
It was on the road for 11 years in Texas, driven to CT in 1991 and stored in a heated garage ( his Moms ) up until I purchased it about 3 weeks ago. The owner lived out of stare and came home a few times a year and would drive it for a week or so every year,so it really never sat for the whole 18 years that it was stored. He always changed the lubes and added new gas every year with stable added. I towed it home and it started in the 3rd crank.

006-1.jpg
006-1.jpg
003-2.jpg
013.jpg
005-2.jpg
006-2.jpg
001-1.jpg
027.jpg
011.jpg026.jpg
011.jpg
004.jpg
011.jpg

Last edited:
Hey DARIOPOP if you do decide to sell it any idea what you'll be asking? I would keep it myself and also my 15 y/o daughter fell in love with it.

A little more info on my Jeep:
1980 CJ7 Larado ,original 64,400 miles.
1st owner had it for a yaer and a half and put 1.700 miles on it,2nd owner bought it in 1982 until 2009. It was run for only 10 years in Texas he drove the jeep home to his Moms house in 1991 ,left it in her garage and went to another state for the next 20 years. He would come home a few times a year and would use the jeep and than put it back into storage,so it really never sat still for the whole 20 years. He would add new gas and stablizer each visit.
As for the 1984 doors:
In Texas he would drive the jeep to work everyday,and on good days he would take the hard top off and leave it hanging from a hoist system in the garage, only driving up to speeds 35-40 he never would bolt the top down which worked for about 8 years until he loaned the jeep to his girl friend and she took it on the highway,well you know what happened after that. He purchased a top from a 1984 and was offered the doors also , he liked the new style door handles so he had the strikers for the new doors installed , The top and doors were white and the shop that installed the doors and that was going to paint the top and doors black talked him into painting the whole jeep( which he later regretted because he lost the Larado stripping)

019-1.jpg

Kicknjeep:
Haven't decided on a price yet, I was thinking around $6,000, took it out yesterday and found a leaking cylinder in the rear brake system ( owning Corvettes that sit for a while I know this is normal) I just purchased :
1) all new front Calipers
2) all new rear cylinders
3) all brake pads and shoes
4) all new rear rebuild brake kit
and I am going to go with silicone fluid , and all of this only came to $105.00 !!! WoW on my Vette that's only one wheel cylinder. Can't believe how cheap Jeep parts are. Maybe I should keep the jeep and sell the Vette, anybody in the Market for a nice Vette?
As you can see I have way way too many money pits, the boat is in the back!
003-1.jpg
005.jpg
Dario

Last edited:
Those are some nice toys. That vette looks a lot like one of the vettes my uncle had. What year? I am not real good with the vettes but I think his was a '65 1/2. All original numbers but no split window is what he would tell me I just thaught it was cool.

I offered the guy $3,000 and he delivered it to my house.
Kicknjeep:
Haven't decided on a price yet, I was thinking around $6,000, ~~~ I just purchased :
1) all new front Calipers
2) all new rear cylinders
3) all brake pads and shoes
4) all new rear rebuild brake kit
and I am going to go with silicone fluid , and all of this only came to $105.00 !!! ~~~
I think you have been lucky to get such a great deal on your CJ. I have reservations on your asking price though. It may be just me but there is no way in hell I would ever ask 6K for a CJ I have only 3K + maybe $500 in parts and labor...

Maybe that is the difference between myself and others, I own a CJ, have and manage this web site and just want others to know what is my passion. I'm not in this for the money or profit - hell if you added up everything I have ever payed, given away or helped with when it comes to Jeeps - I'm sure I'm thousands in the hole...

I'm sorry but this is just the way I feel... :(

Well,that may be what you would do CJ , Why should I give it away just because I got a good deal on it. So with your logic ,when I go to sell my house that I only paid $28,000 for in the 1980 market , I should sell it for what? maybe ??? $31,000 even if its worth $200,000 today??
I don't see where me ( getting a good deal ) and only paying $3,000, with you say only $500.00 in it I should sell it for $3,500?? Why should I give it away so cheap to a stranger? If somebody wants it they either pay what I am asking or look for another one.
Let me know when you are going to sell your rig, I'll buy that too, seeing you won't be asking much for it.
Plus, I was only thinking of selling it because it's in my way in the garage. I mentioned a price only because I was asked by a previous poster how much I would like for it. I may well decide to keep it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply dariopop, I like discussions such as this - civil and open minded...

I be the biggest thing we have a disconnect on is 'reasonable' profit. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to Jeeps my and your definition are completely different - and that is because of why we own them as well as what we do with them. I regret not using the term or even giving you an idea of what I would sell it for but that point is mute now as what I think really doesn't matter. I never said give it away or even cheaply; I would expect you to make money on it, how much is up to you. I know my time and my labor is worth quite allot - only you can decide what yours is worth.

You bought yours as an investment and I buy mine as a hobby. Hence our difference. I buy Jeeps to build, change, restore, and enjoy; yours is an investment - a flip. :) (or it was at first I think - but since you said you might keep it - I would hope you take it off-road and enjoy it)

As for my CJ, I'll probably have somewhere around 7 or 8 times into it then it's value when I get done (I just paid 4k for a body alone), but since I will never sell it, I have never thought about profit - again - building and having fun with it is my hobby.

Let's just say we agree to disagree...

Now, that being said... If you have any questions about, concerning or just want to shoot the bull about your CJ (and even continue this great discussion) - ask away! No matter why we own them, we are all here to help other CJ owners! And - you are one! :)

I have to agree with both CJ and Dariopop on this: first with CJ because when someone knows what was paid it would be hard to pay that big of a mark up but if you put it in say CJforsale.come( made that up) and complete stranger looked at it then that would be a great deal for them. On dariopops side Every body and their brother will buy things and sell for a profit on a turn around. Dariopop if you decide to sell it hope you get what you ask, But like CJ said if you decide to keep it then if you have any questions or need any help we'll be here for ya! ;)
Oh and I was being nosey about the price heck right now i'm so broke I can't afford to pay attention :p

You have to figure in a little reason as well. In the end, we are talking about a CJ jeep, not a rare automible that in It's purest form is worth a fortune. Plenty were made, plenty exist, and the parts to make one from frame up are made everyday. Original and pristene in a CJ mean little to me, other than I will have less to work on when I add my personal basic mods and drive it into the woods,, not a car show. I put the real world value at 4K low, 5K high, "IF" it has no rust or rust repairs of any kind to be done, and every bit is original, including paint and body graphics. but not a cent more.
I would consider a 1500-2000$ return on my short term investment to be a hell of a good deal.

Hey Guys, no offense taken here because I know where you guys are comming from, on my behalf ,you have to understand where I am coming from. As you can see I am a Corvette guy and I can see where we are on different levels of what value is. My corvette is pristene , and it will fetch a good price when I get rid of her , I have had her since new. There is a good market for them, I have already sold quite a few but kept this one because it was my original one. In a Corvette " non use " equals more value , so when I saw this jeep sitting in the corner that had had almost no use for the last 20 years and was in such good condition I snapped it up thinking I could make a good profit on it. To be truthful with you guys, if it were a Harley motorcycle that I saw and snapped it up I would be on a different forum now,LOL .
To be honest with all of you, the more I look at the jeep and realize how much cheaper the parts are compared to a Corvette, I am really enjoying playing with it. So the future of this jeep is still in question , but maybe someday someone will see it sitting in the corner of my garage and make me an offer on her.
As I said for $100.00 I got an all new brake system , you can't even buy ( 1 ) tail light lens for that price on my Corvette
Thanks again, Dario

009.jpg
003.jpg
024.jpg

Last edited:
dariopop,
I am interested in purchasing your cj. If you are still thinking about selling it, please advise and what is a fair price.
louie

Hello Louie, I have not decided on what to do with her yet. I was having trouble with her idling so I bought a re-build kit and rebuilt the carb today and found that one of the idle suction tubes fell out of it's hole,but I rebuilt it anyways. I have had quite a few people make me offers already. I had a chance to purchase a set of cloth doors for it just in case I decide to keep it and buy a soft top too. The guy delivered them to my house and was totally flabergasted when he saw it and he's a jeep guy. He said that he has never seen an old CJ7 in such great shape that was original and told me that I would be a fool for letting it go for less than $8,000. I'm not saying that is what I would ask for it , but it made me feel good that I do have something that is worth more than I paid for it ( after reading some of the comments from other on this forum ) I thought I bit the bullet. If I were to sell it I will probably be asking somewhere around $6,000 , I quess I can expect to get hammered again now from others here. My wife hates all of the cars I have ( she has not been in my Corvette in 15 years ) she actually likes the looks of this one and told me to hang onto it for a little while to make sure that I really want to sell it, so we will see. I will keep everybody that asked about it in mind,
Dario

PS,
It was put into storage in 1990 registration ended in 1993 but he still drove it once or twice a year for a week or so to keep it lubed up and added fresh gas every year with stablizer , runs like a sewing machine engine.
028.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks