Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Rapid restore - 1 Year build from tired and rusty to all go and some show..

Build Thread 1979 CJ7 Rapid restore - 1 Year build from tired and rusty to all go and some show..
No magnafluxing was done.

We will see what Bluemonkey has to say and if I can send this head back for replacement. If not I need to find out if bolting these Performer RPM heads on will change anything with the build i.e compression.
What is the casting number of your cracked head? This chart lists the head CCs. 60119s are 54 CCs.
There are a few things to consider, crossover or not, are my current push rods hardened (the Edelbrock heads have guide plates and hardened are required), rocker type (are the current ones adjustable and 1.6 ratio) and rocker stud diameter (5/16 or 3/8).

Reading back over the build notes they indicate that Magnafluxing was done on the heads.

from the builder >

• Heads get vatted, magnafluxed, thermal cleaned, steelabrated, pressure tested for hidden flaws. Old exhaust gets counter bored, new harden exhaust seats installed for use with leaded or unleaded fuel. Drill, ream and install 11/32" valve guides in place of the 3/8" stock guide. 202 and 1.600 stainless valves with undercut stems that have been swirl polished are lighter and flow better than the stock heavy AMC valve. Both heads receive three angle valve job. Both heads milled to assure a good head gasket seal. Heads are machined so we can install screw in studs for Full roller rockers to make valve train adjustable. We install brass freeze plugs in both heads so they can't rust out in time.

What is the casting number of your cracked head? This chart lists the head CCs. 60119s are 54 CCs.
There are a few things to consider, crossover or not, are my current push rods hardened (the Edelbrock heads have guide plates and hardened are required), rocker type (are the current ones adjustable and 1.6 ratio) and rocker stud diameter (5/16 or 3/8).

I dont have the stamp handy but they are 58cc according to the build sheet

I dont have the stamp handy but they are 58cc according to the build sheet

Reading back over the build notes they indicate that Magnafluxing was done on the heads.

from the builder >

• Heads get vatted, magnafluxed, thermal cleaned, steelabrated, pressure tested for hidden flaws. Old exhaust gets counter bored, new harden exhaust seats installed for use with leaded or unleaded fuel. Drill, ream and install 11/32" valve guides in place of the 3/8" stock guide. 202 and 1.600 stainless valves with undercut stems that have been swirl polished are lighter and flow better than the stock heavy AMC valve. Both heads receive three angle valve job. Both heads milled to assure a good head gasket seal. Heads are machined so we can install screw in studs for Full roller rockers to make valve train adjustable. We install brass freeze plugs in both heads so they can't rust out in time.
That's some serious head work. The valves are called 'tulip' style. Nice... Screw in studs are common high rpm / race items.
Going to 54cc just slightly ups your compression.

had to google that! then added to the lessons learned file :(
I learned how and about Magnaflux 45 years ago. Back then it was used mainly for aircraft engines and high dollar engines. Will have to ask the shop that did machine work on mine if that and the block were done.

had to google that! then added to the lessons learned file :(

I learned how and about Magnaflux 45 years ago. Back then it was used mainly for aircraft engines and high dollar engines. Will have to ask the shop that did machine work on mine if that and the block were done.
Just a little more info for your lessons learned file; magniflux is used for all ferrous metals such as steel and iron and florescent pentrant is for non ferrous metals such as aluminum and titanium.

I heard back from Bluemonkey (engine builder in Arizona) and will be sending the head back to them so they can build me a new one. Its still going to cost me time and money but I am happy that someone is standing behind their work, a little faith restored today.

Top end off yesterday and packaging the head for shipment, I am fully expecting delays with the holidays and not to see anything back until late January at least

PXL_20231217_230857224.jpg

Meanwhile the Trxus 31's showed up! I sold off the Chrome promcomp rims that were -12mm offset and ordered 4 more of the -44mm steel rock crawlers in black.

PXL_20231216_192816693.jpg

They are supposed to stand 31.5" mounted

PXL_20231216_192835727.jpg

someone decided to join me for the tear down!

PXL_20231214_235258302.MP.jpg

Top end off yesterday and packaging the head for shipment, I am fully expecting delays with the holidays and not to see anything back until late January at least

View attachment 100260

Meanwhile the Trxus 31's showed up! I sold off the Chrome promcomp rims that were -12mm offset and ordered 4 more of the -44mm steel rock crawlers in black.

View attachment 100261

They are supposed to stand 31.5" mounted

View attachment 100262

someone decided to join me for the tear down!

View attachment 100263
Who are the rockers from? The only AMC ones at my time are from Harland Sharp custom 1.7 ratio from 1.6
hs3.jpg

Who are the rockers from? The only AMC ones at my time are from Harland Sharp custom 1.7 ratio from 1.6
Good question.. They are not named in the build sheet except as new roller rockers installed. "EPWI" appears to be a re-distributor, they look an awful lot like these > https://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc-scp3085 except the one end has a slight lip on it, probably just enough to skirt the patent..

Makes sense, you have a great engine. I built my 401 and I loved it.
Why for you?
I really wanted to build my own engine but opted to go with a professional build for this 401. I learned a lot when I was growing from my father who was a mechanic between the late 1940's to about 1980. Unfortunately, we didn't get to rebuild any engines together so I am missing a lot of knowledge and a ton of machining skills! I do have an old 360 I am working on that will be a spare eventually or for a second AMC project, 80's era eagle maybe or J20

I really wanted to build my own engine but opted to go with a professional build for this 401. I learned a lot when I was growing from my father who was a mechanic between the late 1940's to about 1980. Unfortunately, we didn't get to rebuild any engines together so I am missing a lot of knowledge and a ton of machining skills! I do have an old 360 I am working on that will be a spare eventually or for a second AMC project, 80's era eagle maybe or J20
not to mention....well I guess I am mentioning(stupid saying lol) you need a whole slew of different tools when rebuilding an engine as well.

not to mention....well I guess I am mentioning(stupid saying lol) you need a whole slew of different tools when rebuilding an engine as well.
Like this? Having the tool is easy, working it is hard...

I bet you can pick up one for a song now. That is a 602, all manual but Accurite scales added. For a few $ more you can get a 605 fully servoed

1000008903.jpg

We had a very large machine shop at work, and another 2 decent size satellite machine shops nearby the production areas. 25 years ago it was getting hard to find a company to overhaul large machines for the shops. One well known company actually went bankrupt while having a very large machine. Most of the work had been done, but the machine was in pieces still. Couple engineers lost their jobs over that because of mile stone payments. There was a plaque placed on the wall of a meeting room as a reminder so that mistake would not be repeated.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
You made me smile some what, quote - machine shop. Working and creating is long gone...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks