1975 CJ5 body mount advice needed

1975 CJ5 body mount advice needed

dnl75cj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
Hi friends,
I've been working on an amateur restoration in my garage for a couple of years and have just sent the steel tub out for refurbish. My questions have to do with mounts.

1)I am looking at using polyurethane mounts specifically the Rugged Ridge kit #1-109-BL. Can anyone give me feedback on this kit or others that are similar?

2)I would like to use stainless fasteners. Regarding the bolts that would be visible on the floor and load bed, would Jeep have used hex cap screws or button head socket screws? Button heads seem more clean and appealing.

This Jeep will not be a show car but will be put into daily (fair weather mostly) service. We will use it as a convertible for cruising around a small city and for country roads. Occasionally it will pull a landscaping trailer filled with firewood. Occasionally it may plow some snow.

Am I doing the right thing by using polyurethane?

Thanks.
Dan

The rubber is of course the softest, and probably best for the body. It will eventually get hard though. Using cad plated hex bolts would be the cheapest and easiest to work with, I am pretty sure that was oem. I have had the radiator support bolt rust up so I went to stainless in that location.

Go with stainless, you can get them at a very good price from McMaster-Carr (online). Buttonhead screws are weak, the head is thin and not designed for load, only for keeping from being pulled through a thin piece of material. Keep the hex heads. Use "Never-Seize" on the stainless hardware, it prevents galling and jamming of the threads.
Lance

Hi friends,
I've been working on an amateur restoration in my garage for a couple of years and have just sent the steel tub out for refurbish. My questions have to do with mounts.

1)I am looking at using polyurethane mounts specifically the Rugged Ridge kit #1-109-BL. Can anyone give me feedback on this kit or others that are similar?

2)I would like to use stainless fasteners. Regarding the bolts that would be visible on the floor and load bed, would Jeep have used hex cap screws or button head socket screws? Button heads seem more clean and appealing.

This Jeep will not be a show car but will be put into daily (fair weather mostly) service. We will use it as a convertible for cruising around a small city and for country roads. Occasionally it will pull a landscaping trailer filled with firewood. Occasionally it may plow some snow.

Am I doing the right thing by using polyurethane?

Thanks.
Dan

I used 3/8" carriage bolts Stainless Steel Polished head on the ones that are visible . A little anti-size or drop of oil will do the trick. No worry about load capacity on these locations . Mc Master-Carr online or ACE or True Value stock them. I believe this style bolt was O.E.M. mike

Don't go crazy on tightening them down either. Just snug up and add 1 turn on the body bolts. That will let the body flex with the frame.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks