Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
None
So I started off with a stock postal jeep
3.8 232
Torqueflite 727
Dana 44 rear with traclock

Originally came with a mail tray.... had to go.
Seats came from a Honda prelude.
Light bar an mounts came from a 2016 jk
Cut fenders just about as high as i could,
1 " body lift
And add a leaf packs by ad trucks,
Took out the original 11 gallon take and put a 20 gallon cell inside the cab,
Original doors slid open , I cut them and made the top half slide and still lock back while having a hinged halfdoor for summer( Not entirely my idea) I researched the door mod

4x4 conversion coming soon. All in all its cheaper to get an old CJ5 to fix than convert a dj, but I like the uniqueness , more info coming soon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170429-094244.jpg
    Screenshot_20170429-094244.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 313
  • Screenshot_20170429-094248.jpg
    Screenshot_20170429-094248.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 20170428_192410.jpg
    20170428_192410.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 750
  • 20170428_192443.jpg
    20170428_192443.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 20170428_192836.jpg
    20170428_192836.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 428
I like what you did.
I saw a girl drive by me yesterday in a right hand drive tj
Right hand drive certainly catches the eye.

So I started off with a stock postal jeep
3.8 232
Torqueflite 727
Dana 44 rear with traclock
No power brakes or power steering(just a geared down steer box)
Steering wheel seems to be offset to the left of the driverseat,
Originally came with a mail tray.... had to go.
Seats came from a Honda prelude.
Light bar , pods and mounts came from a 2016 jk
Cut fenders just about as high as i could,
1 " body lift
And add a leaf packs by sd trucks( false advertisement) CJ5 springs do not fit on a dj5 without mods despite what these spring kits say

Took out the original 11 gallon take and put a 20 gallon speed master cell inside the cab(fuel sending unit sucks) btw
Original doors slid open , I cut them and made the top half slide and still lock back while having a hinged halfdoor for summer( Not entirely my idea) I researched the door mod
Put Bed liner on the whole floor,
Rims off of a Ford Bronco
33×12.5 tires, not a matching set
Harbor freight high lift with homemade mounts, custom made center console
Eqquis gauge set( Not the best of quality, but they work good enough for seeing potential problems)

Many people say most parts off of a CJ5 fit, well....as I've been learning about the postal, that's not entirely true,
Trying to hunt down parts is easier said than done and most modifications have to be done with some creativity,

4x4 conversion coming soon. All in all its cheaper to get an old CJ5 to fix than convert a dj, but I like the uniqueness , more info coming soon

I'm usually not a fan of those, but yours looks pretty good! Good color you chose also

I'm with Belizean on this one.... these aren't my cup of tea either, however, you've pulled off a great conversion. It's what postal Jeep's would be if they grew up :chug: My compliments to the chef!!

Now that is indeed impressive. What a unique, eye catching, change from start to now. Great job!

^^^^ :agree: I bet offers to buy are frequent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any updates on it? I recently acquired a DJ5 and am in the process of getting it back on the road. Looking to build it similar to yours.

Any updates on it? I recently acquired a DJ5 and am in the process of getting it back on the road. Looking to build it similar to yours.
Ok so this is the up date : I picked up a narrow track Dana 30 front end , it will bolt right up to a dj5, (same spring perch widths)
Looks like front axle will have to be relocated forward because the pumpkin is going to hit the crossmember holding the motor up, the left side knuckle has to be swapped on to the new 4x4 axle because it has 2 holes for steering linkage for the right hand drive design , for a front axle you're going to need a passenger side drop axle and transfer case, Dana 30, and dana 300 , and other few similar setups, the bump stops will have to be extended , And you will need to lift the front end about 3 inches or more for no drive line issues,

as far as the rear suspension , they vary from year to year on the postals, I've seen it more as I've gotten into them, you need at the least longer shackles for the rear as a bear minimum , and the rear fenders will have to be cut dangerously cut close to the fender well seems holding the body together ,

One thing to consider : you will need an adapter and a clocking ring depending on the transmission type( mine is the tf 727).....late 80s cases from a wagoneer will eliminate the need of an adapter, Once you add a transfer case the rear drive shaft needs to be shortened, this is where you make the decision if you go with longer springs to bring the rear end back .....on my postal the drive shaft is about a foot long,
Basically doing this conversion has taken me so much time , one thing after another,just one more dollar I tell myself.

Have patience

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One more thing , the postal jeeps came with Limited slip , flanged Dana 44 axles , SOA, I geared my axle to 4.10 with a thick ring gear to keep the Limited slip carrier, the l8mited slip has already gotten me through sand

One more thing , the postal jeeps came with Limited slip , flanged Dana 44 axles , SOA, I geared my axle to 4.10 with a thick ring gear to keep the Limited slip carrier, the l8mited slip has already gotten me through sand

Pictures we need pictures

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

I'll have to post some pictures soon , as far as the front axle I'll fill you guys in on some "secrets" this is photo from a1975 edition of 4 wheel magazine I believe if you havnt seen it,
The axle that's on the front end is a narrow track Dana 30 passenger side drop (from a CJ5) it just happens to bolt right up to the postal!!!!.....one problem , the steering is reversed on the postal , with a 2 hole knuckle on the left and right( not so with the cj)..

The solution is you will have to take the drivers side knuckles and swap the 2 , from the 2 axles , the dj5 and CJ5 have the same hub assembly and brakes , they are just a standard 6 bolt hub , the dj5 knuckles have caps on the back to retain grease instead of a spindle bearing... but again , same EXACT hubs. They can be hit out really easy... and wallah! Your other option , is to put a double hiem joint on the single hole spindle. But that's more money.

As far as the leave springs , you will absolutly need some lift , PRE- 1975 CJ5 springs will fit on a dj5, again direct bolt up, same width , and length ETC.
The rear springs are a little more tricky , at the least you can use an add a leaf , but it will give a stiff ride

It's a spring over axle with dam near flat springs, little more tricky to make something work for lift , so welding and cutting might be a must.

I will take some photos just as soon as I get the front end a little more together

I'll have to post some pictures soon , as far as the front axle I'll fill you guys in on some "secrets" this is photo from a1975 edition of 4 wheel magazine I believe if you havnt seen it,
The axle that's on the front end is a narrow track Dana 30 passenger side drop (from a CJ5) it just happens to bolt right up to the postal!!!!.....one problem , the steering is reversed on the postal , with a 2 hole knuckle on the left and right( not so with the cj)..

The solution is you will have to take the drivers side knuckles and swap the 2 , from the 2 axles , the dj5 and CJ5 have the same hub assembly and brakes , they are just a standard 6 bolt hub , the dj5 knuckles have caps on the back to retain grease instead of a spindle bearing... but again , same EXACT hubs. They can be hit out really easy... and wallah! Your other option , is to put a double hiem joint on the single hole spindle. But that's more money.

As far as the leave springs , you will absolutly need some lift , PRE- 1975 front CJ5 springs will fit on a dj5, again direct bolt up, same width , and length ETC.
The rear springs are a little more tricky , no direct bolt up lifts , at the least you can use an add a leaf , or longer shackle, but it will give a stiff ride because It has dam near flat springs, little more tricky to make something work for lift and ride quality, so welding and cutting might be a must.

I will take some photos just as soon as I get the front end a little more together

Here are some photos of the swap , note the space between the crossmember and diff (this is with a 4" lift) ,also note the picture of the 2 knuckles , they need to be swapped because of the steering e86f324699e59b17dba902fd1fe3f6c8.jpg8ac2594dc97c43080a888999ade4d6d1.jpge19b4a48c8f5b16db019881735d689a8.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks