Build Thread 1974 CJ5/1.8L 4FB1 Isuzu Diesel

Build Thread 1974 CJ5/1.8L 4FB1 Isuzu Diesel
So my IP is screwy from storage, so overhauling the spare.

In the mean time, thought I'd share my latest score:
a very low mileage, saab sourced, Garrett TB2531 "60" trim, .48/.49 AR, absurd cheap on CL.
TINY lil thing. But, ball bearing, full floating center, water cooled(NO coking!!!), and did I mention TINY?
Capable of supposedly supporting near 200HP.
The inlet on the turbine side isn't even a full T25 style rectangle. It's a circle @ 1 1/2".

It came with a LOT of aluminum tubing, silicon elbows, ect.
The saab intercooler if mounted correctly, might help catch oil and avoid run-on in the event of a turbo seal leak, as both the inlet and outlet are on one side of a narrow unit.
Will bring piece of mind for the full floating center oil seals.

If I understand all the principals, this map illustrates
that I should be 72% turbo efficiency at 14.7 psi boost @ 190 CFM @ 4,000 rpm.

file.giffile.jpgfile.jpgfile.jpg
My two goals are @ 2-3psi boost at cruise, somewhere between 1,500RPM and 2,000RPM.
The lower the better, as long as it is above say 1,250.
This will coincide perfectly with the dyno proven torque curve of the N/A 4FB1 cam here in the US, and increase efficiency at cruise.

Plus, get the 4FB1 back up to @ 100-120hp, where it was originally designed to be.
That tiny turbine inlet should be freakin PERFECT for low RPM boost!

I plan to never really wind the motor beyond 4,000RPM(like a "normal" diesel), and hope that I am getting 15psi OR LESS at that point.
The factory governed redline is the highest I have heard of for a factory diesel, at an insane, screaming 5,400 RPM's.

Depends on where real life testing shows @ 15psi, which is the very max I will allow it to push. Been proven the 4FB1 will handle that and more factory. But longevity is a consideration as well.

A factory IDI diesel will NEVER make big power without huge mods. EVER. The combustion flame is deflected from the piston crown, so power is lost. The head restricts the flame front. Top end power is not much of a consideration for me.
My goals are $15 for a full 15gal tank, and @30MPG, and enough power to be able to navigate traffic safely, and I think I might just do it.

Plus, dropping it in 4 high or low, and idling up hills barely burning any fuel will be rather kewl, too...

I have this bad habit of reading books, doing all the complex arithmetic, and keeping magazines and internet gleaned "info" to a distant, subjective suspicion.

HAHAHA. I love this project.

Attachments

• file.gif
    file.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • file.jpg
    file.jpg
    962.9 KB · Views: 0
  • file.jpg
    file.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
View attachment 18009
The access panels give you an idea what I started with. They look nasty, but are actually pretty sound, and very restorable.
View attachment 18010
The hat channel was completely fabricated by me from 1/8" sheet. ALL mount holes on frame lined up with all of the @ 14 linear feet of channel, too. Some of us just have it like that. Everything aside from the frame that you see is new metal.
The frame fortunately is VERY VERY clean:
View attachment 18011

View attachment 18012
I fabricated mounts for @ 1994 Wrangler seats from 2 stock CJ5 passenger side mounts. Think I will reinforce them a little bit before I drive it.
View attachment 18013

Last edited:
Anything and everything that was cancerous, holey, or had little/no structural integrity was cut out and fabbed up, replaced by yours truly. You can see where I started to cut out part of the hat channel for repair, and decided I just couldn't live with how bad it was. So everything nasty was cut out and replaced. The passenger floor, hat channel, and a chunk of rocker panel that shows the yellow it was painted..
View attachment 18014

I still need to repair where some bogger/mudder/swamper clown hacked(obscenely poorly) the rear wheelwells. Probably the same fool who was launching the poor gal, cracking the frame(welded/repaired) and crushing the rust weakened hat channel in several places.

Having a hard time finding the radius dimension, and good reference pics of where the radius is in relation to the tub...

And I think after this full frame off restoration, after so much very hard, hot, and heavy work, it might be a good while before I do another. Heck, even something as simple as a Jeep? Wow. Glad it isn't a dang '62 Continental or other overly complicated nightmare. Can you imagine restoring a modern car in 40 years? Psh. No way...

Last edited:
Busy busy.
Have the drivetrain mocked up, and clutch installed(ie again all factory parts, and modified stock parts! lol), and trans painted.
View attachment 18236
Front bumper and winch mount fabricated, but no pics of that yet.

Notice also, stock, unmodified Isuzu engine mount line up perfectly with Jeep frame horns.
View attachment 18237
View attachment 18239
View attachment 18238
Again, what are the odds? This stuff is 98% bolting up using stock Jeep and Isuzu parts
View attachment 18240.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks