Misc. 1974 CJ First Time Purchase

Misc. 1974 CJ First Time Purchase

M1redskin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5
Hi Guys - I'm about to purchase a 1974 CJ with the 304. All original and in decent shape and runs well. Solid frame and body with no significant rust. My biggest concern is whether at 6'4" if I can be reasonable comfortable with the right seat / seat bracket and most likely notching the seat back out as I have read on this site. I havent made the full commitment to buy it - but its the right price and just looking for a nice trail rider / hill climber without having to drop 15-20K on a UTV. I know the CJ7's are longer and probably be a better fit for me, but I just like the CJ5 a bit better. Anybody out there 6'4" and driving one?? Thanks and please let me know your thoughts.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
This is why my CJ project in the garage is actually getting a TJ tub
View attachment 100251
Just buy this one for 12,500 and skip all the work. Show quality paint finish. Actually too nice for the trails to be honest. But it’s got a funky airbags suspension and so I’ve actually got a brand new TJ Frame for it that I’ll throw in for free.

1702910154636.png

Just buy this one for 12,500 and skip all the work. Show quality paint finish. Actually too nice for the trails to be honest. But it’s got a funky airbags suspension and so I’ve actually got a brand new TJ Frame for it that I’ll throw in for free.

View attachment 100252
no, my project may have a TJ body but will have a YJ frame and suspension, V8 CJ front clip etc etc, I actually enjoy the building...till i get too old to do so

There was another one out there where they used 2 Jeeps and cut them in half lengthwise and welded them back together with a new middle section. Probably someone with to much time and money on their hands.

When to big comes to mind I think this. And yes more money than brain's

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I drove a lot of 5's and found them to be very squirrelly and hard to keep centered on the road. I'm 5'8" and didn't like the tight fit either. I do like the look of the 5's... more Willyish. Finally drove some late 7's and fell in love. Ended up buying the longer/wider track CJ7 (1986) and never looked back. Being too tall is not the only issue with 5's.

Stop bashing the Five’s, gentlemen. He gets the point. Lol

Stop bashing the Five’s, gentlemen. He gets the point. Lol
5's are cool as well, just not as suitable for taller people as much, only reason I got rid of my 5 project was leg room and non tilt, didn't want to have to mod the body. I don't think anyone is bashing the 5, still better than anything made today!

Get a narrow-track CJ7 and you have easy fit on trails and the more comfortable wheelbase.
I watch a lot of videos in my spare time of people 4 wheeling and over landing. They almost all have wider and longer vehicles now. I wonder if there are many narrow trails left out there that a Jeep can’t easily fit now. I’m sure there are some side by side and motorcycle trails still.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks