Misc. 1974 CJ First Time Purchase

Misc. 1974 CJ First Time Purchase

M1redskin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5
Hi Guys - I'm about to purchase a 1974 CJ with the 304. All original and in decent shape and runs well. Solid frame and body with no significant rust. My biggest concern is whether at 6'4" if I can be reasonable comfortable with the right seat / seat bracket and most likely notching the seat back out as I have read on this site. I havent made the full commitment to buy it - but its the right price and just looking for a nice trail rider / hill climber without having to drop 15-20K on a UTV. I know the CJ7's are longer and probably be a better fit for me, but I just like the CJ5 a bit better. Anybody out there 6'4" and driving one?? Thanks and please let me know your thoughts.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Hi Guys - I'm about to purchase a 1974 CJ with the 304. All original and in decent shape and runs well. Solid frame and body with no significant rust. My biggest concern is whether at 6'4" if I can be reasonable comfortable with the right seat / seat bracket and most likely notching the seat back out as I have read on this site. I havent made the full commitment to buy it - but its the right price and just looking for a nice trail rider / hill climber without having to drop 15-20K on a UTV. I know the CJ7's are longer and probably be a better fit for me, but I just like the CJ5 a bit better. Anybody out there 6'4" and driving one?? Thanks and please let me know your thoughts.
I've driven a few 5s I'm 6'1 and a bit pudgy and to me it's not comfortable. However everyone is different. My friend is 6'4 and drives a 62 5 that is stock and doesn't complain. Me I prefer the extra length of a 7

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Also probably depends on how young you are and if you have a good back or not. Just getting in and out of a 5 is a real pain to me. A lift of several inches gives it another degree of difficulty, but you being 6-4 maybe is a benefit. Those changes would be some work but doable.

:welcome:
6'1(depending on what convenience store I walk out of), 190 here and I drove my 5 from GA to central F L quite often. I did have plastic thin bucket seat all the way against the rear fender well though.

I know a member in Nebraska who drives to a Moab and Colorado but not sure how tall he is, I texted him.

I've driven a few 5s I'm 6'1 and a bit pudgy and to me it's not comfortable. However everyone is different. My friend is 6'4 and drives a 62 5 that is stock and doesn't complain. Me I prefer the extra length of a 7

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to go with it and see how it works out. It's only $6K so I think it is worth a shot.

Also probably depends on how young you are and if you have a good back or not. Just getting in and out of a 5 is a real pain to me. A lift of several inches gives it another degree of difficulty, but you being 6-4 maybe is a benefit. Those changes would be some work but doable.
Well I'm not a spring chicken at 62 years. The bigger worry for me is if my wife will enjoy it. I am thinking it might be a bit bumpy for her. BUt we will see. Thanks!

:welcome:
6'1(depending on what convenience store I walk out of), 190 here and I drove my 5 from GA to central F L quite often. I did have plastic thin bucket seat all the way against the rear fender well though.

I know a member in Nebraska who drives to a Moab and Colorado but not sure how tall he is, I texted him.
Thanks - I thought about a plastic seat already and will probably try that before hacking into the tub. It's a tight fit with the cushy hi-back seats that are in it now.

At 6k if in nice shape you can't go wrong as you can always resell it and not be out. Then buy a 7 with more room if it need be. As far as the wife I can't help you there. My wife loves riding in my 7 so much so that I bought her her own.

I'm 6'2" and had three 5's before my current 7. I'm about 175lbs though, so an easier fit perhaps than others. The 5's were alright, but too snug for me too on longer trips. I tried different seats, smaller steering wheel, modifying the seat brackets, etc. Never notched the fender. I just love my 7 more. And now at age 60, I wanted an auto trans and that's real tough in a shorter 5. But as Manic said, at $6K for one in good shape, can't go wrong.

Kind of funny but I hear people who are 6-4 don’t fit well in the new Gladiators, so this I guess still has not been fixed all these years later.

I have a '78 CJ7 and at 6'1" and 185lbs it is a tight squeeze on leg room even with the seat all the way back. On short local drives etc the fun outweighs the tight fit. This would probably flip on a long trip. Maybe sit in it for awhile and list all the things that you need to do, and all the things you want to do. And yes, there is an important difference. Good luck!

At 6k if in nice shape you can't go wrong as you can always resell it and not be out. Then buy a 7 with more room if it need be. As far as the wife I can't help you there. My wife loves riding in my 7 so much so that I bought her her own.

Yea - that’s the way I’m figuring it. I’ll post a few pics when I pick it up. Thanks!

I have a '78 CJ7 and at 6'1" and 185lbs it is a tight squeeze on leg room even with the seat all the way back. On short local drives etc the fun outweighs the tight fit. This would probably flip on a long trip. Maybe sit in it for awhile and list all the things that you need to do, and all the things you want to do. And yes, there is an important difference. Good luck!
That’s some good advice- don’t need to get too carried away right off the bat.

even more of a pain than the seat spacing is the door opening shape when getting in, those 2 reasons why I sold my 83 CJ5 for 7's and TJ's.

even more of a pain than the seat spacing is the door opening shape when getting in, those 2 reasons why I sold my 83 CJ5 for 7's and TJ's.
Exactly. PIA.

I actually got a 98 TJ with 350 and 400R -GM truck axles and at 83” width outside tire to tire is too big for DNR trails in Michigan so I want something smaller - like a UTV w/o the costs.
If you can get in and out with no problems, go for it !

Yeah I don’t know why but that wasn’t an issue for me and I’m a pretty big guy 260 and 6’4”. Maybe this had a different steering column with different angle put in it because it’s much fatter than what I see on some CJ5. My only issue seems to be legroom. It’ll probably end up being something my wife and daughters drives anyways other than when we take it on the trails.

Take this Jeep on the DNR trailsbc6cf2b36ff86a70dd3befa2658e945a.jpg0272a087e2756ad0343825c08d10dba1.jpg

Attachments

• bc6cf2b36ff86a70dd3befa2658e945a.jpg
    bc6cf2b36ff86a70dd3befa2658e945a.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks