Wrong pitman arm???

Wrong pitman arm???
it will not work, the bushings/bolts don't interchange like I'd hoped. 2fb4089d2a0af8b5b2022c4bf4b1ee04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

They don't interchange, the bushing and bolt for the rear are not the same as the front. So when you change the spring around you have to change the bushings around also. I still think you have them backwards.

They don't interchange, the bushing and bolt for the rear are not the same as the front. So when you change the spring around you have to change the bushings around also. I still think you have them backwards.
The bushings from the rear of the spring don't fit in the front of the spring.... there's no way to make it work

The hole diameter should be the same on both ends.

I'm thinking my drop pitman arm is not needed or the wrong length also. Anybody have any suggestions? Not sure what the previous owner has going on here!

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 107
I'm thinking my drop pitman arm is not needed or the wrong length also. Anybody have any suggestions? Not sure what the previous owner has going on here!

JB, that looks like a pitman arm for a CJ with a 4" lift. Anyway it is for sure too low.

...... get a stock pitman arm.

I did measure. It is 1 inch longer from rear spring eye to center of axle. I haven't looked to see if there are multiple holes on the spring pad though.. I will try that.
Thank you

Not sure about the lift springs, but stock CJ springs should have the pin centered in the spring. I would call rough country and find out what their springs should measure.

Also, what's the horizontal measurement from hole to hole on the pitman arm?

The horiz measurement is 5.25" is it possible to find a pitman arm that's 1inch shorter?
Not sure about the lift springs, but stock CJ springs should have the pin centered in the spring. I would call rough country and find out what their springs should measure.

Also, what's the horizontal measurement from hole to hole on the pitman arm?
The horiz measurement is 5.25" is it possible to find a pitman arm that's 1inch shorter? I am at a loss here, rough country has no answers for me. All I can think to do is find a shorter pitman arm somehow or drill new holes for the rear spring hanger about an inch back which moves the axle back about an inch but that moves the wheel back in the wheel well.... any other suggestions out there?2ab899869927a2e7d2f381c3c1d6cecd.jpg

The horiz measurement is 5.25" is it possible to find a pitman arm that's 1inch shorter?The horiz measurement is 5.25" is it possible to find a pitman arm that's 1inch shorter? I am at a loss here, rough country has no answers for me. All I can think to do is find a shorter pitman arm somehow or drill new holes for the rear spring hanger about an inch back which moves the axle back about an inch but that moves the wheel back in the wheel well.... any other suggestions out there?2ab899869927a2e7d2f381c3c1d6cecd.jpg

Can anyone out there with a 4" rough country lift on a 1986 CJ7 confirm this length on their drop pitman arm?

Still dealing with this.....
Anyone out there have a 1986 CJ7 lifted that can take a few pics of their front end? I was under the jeep last night trying to find a solution.. -maybe my power steering box is not stock. Maybe my tie rods have been flipped.. can someone show me their tie rods and power steering box? My steering box has the numbers 76 on the bottom of it, is this correct for a 1986 CJ7? Thank you for any help.

After looking at all your pictures, I think your springs are on backwards!
The way the springs are wrapped on one side that is the side that should be on the the fixed mount not the shackle.

After looking at all your pictures, I think your springs are on backwards!
The way the springs are wrapped on one side that is the side that should be on the the fixed mount not the shackle.
Thanks for your input
I've tried to configure the springs every way possible and the way they sit is the only way they will mount. I even bought two new fro t springs from rough country thinking the ones I have on there were blems or something. They aren't. The lift springs are correct. It must be something wrong with my front end set up.

Still dealing with this.....
Anyone out there have a 1986 CJ7 lifted that can take a few pics of their front end? I was under the jeep last night trying to find a solution.. -maybe my power steering box is not stock. Maybe my tie rods have been flipped.. can someone show me their tie rods and power steering box? My steering box has the numbers 76 on the bottom of it, is this correct for a 1986 CJ7? Thank you for any help.

Tie rod/drag link ends aren't flipped. Stock, the TRE's come up from the bottom of the knuckle like yours.

The steering box is a standard Saginaw box and is correct for your CJ.

Do you have your stock pitman arm that you can measure the horizontal hole-hole distance to see if it matches the lift arm?

Did you have any issues before the lift was installed?

Thanks for your input
I've tried to configure the springs every way possible and the way they sit is the only way they will mount. I even bought two new fro t springs from rough country thinking the ones I have on there were blems or something. They aren't. The lift springs are correct. It must be something wrong with my front end set up.

As I've said, CJ springs should have the pins dead center, so it makes no difference which way the spring faces (as far as where the axle gets located).

Did you measure the new springs to see if they are the correct length and if the locating pin is centered?

Has the axle been removed for the 1st set of lift springs during all of this?

At this point, I would step back, and measure/check everything...Unbolt the axle, measure both springs for a centered pin. Make sure the axle is correctly located on the pin with the locating holes in the perches. Make sure the locating pin from the springs is not sitting in the open void of the perch. Check the frame/spring mounts/steering box mount for any evidence of anything being moved.

If 1" will get you the clearance you need, M.O.R.E. offers a steering box mount that will move the box 1" forward (toward the front of the Jeep). But I think this would be a bandaid in your situation.

This pic is from your original post in this thread (Hopefully it shows up)..

Take a look at the sway bar links...You see how they are angled back at the top? They should be straight down.

From this, it looks like your axle is indeed too far forward. I can think of 3 things that can possible cause this...

1) Springs have been moved forward to increase wheelbase. (This doesn't appear to the be the case...it's pretty tough to do without a shackle reversal, and you would have probably had an issue before the lift.)

2) The axle isn't sitting on the centering pin correctly.

3) The centering pin it too far forward on the spring pack.

Do you have a link or part # for the springs you bought?

after looking at that pic it also looks like the axle is rotated forward, which would throw the caster way off as well. Are there really big shims under the axle in the wrong direction? That could cause it to rotate the drag link closer to the pitman arm.

after looking at that pic it also looks like the axle is rotated forward, which would throw the caster way off as well. Are there really big shims under the axle in the wrong direction? That could cause it to rotate the drag link closer to the pitman arm.

Good eye...I don't know if it's just an illusion or not, but it does look like it's rolled forward. But I don't think that the whole issue. The sway bar links mount to the u bolt plate and aren't affected by shimming the axle.

This pic is from your original post in this thread (Hopefully it shows up)..

Take a look at the sway bar links...You see how they are angled back at the top? They should be straight down.

From this, it looks like your axle is indeed too far forward. I can think of 3 things that can possible cause this...

1) Springs have been moved forward to increase wheelbase. (This doesn't appear to the be the case...it's pretty tough to do without a shackle reversal, and you would have probably had an issue before the lift.)

2) The axle isn't sitting on the centering pin correctly.

3) The centering pin it too far forward on the spring pack.

Do you have a link or part # for the springs you bought?
Man I really really appreciate the input, truly.

Honestly, I have measured, treasured and measured again. -i even bought new springs to check my springs against. The lift kit is correct. The perches are centered on the right holes on the spring pin. The away bar looks that way because it is an extended link for the height of the lift(I think). The stock pitman arm is actually over an inch longer than this one but it is straight. I'm so lost on this.

Man I really really appreciate the input, truly.

Honestly, I have measured, treasured and measured again. -i even bought new springs to check my springs against. The lift kit is correct. The perches are centered on the right holes on the spring pin. The away bar looks that way because it is an extended link for the height of the lift(I think). The stock pitman arm is actually over an inch longer than this one but it is straight. I'm so lost on this.

even with the extended disconnects, the links should be straight up and down (or very close to it). Either the links are way too long for the lift, or the axle is too far forward.

What was your measurement from eye to center pin on each side of the spring?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks