Misc. Who do you wrench with?

Misc. Who do you wrench with?
Most of my wrenching is done with my younger son (now 33 years old), as he is also into old cars and stuff. We resto-modded a '58 Chevy Apache PU together and he has helped a lot on the current CJ as well. And he is a better welder than me too. Even when not getting much accomplished, nothing better for father-son time.

One day you will become the guy everyone calls.... Neighbor kid called called because the carb on the 64 Mustang was puking fuel out vent stopper. Facilities guy from church called to see if a F250 Diesel they found online would be a good buy (And he was a Diesel mechanic lol) Neither offered me food for my consultations. lol.

Most of my wrenching is done with my younger son (now 33 years old), as he is also into old cars and stuff. We resto-modded a '58 Chevy Apache PU together and he has helped a lot on the current CJ as well. And he is a better welder than me too. Even when not getting much accomplished, nothing better for father-son time.
My 14 year old step son is not mechanically inclined and wants a Nissan 240. I blame his mother lol. He was trying to convince her he found a "Good deal" on one. Nice interior and guy said it ran. Just needed one part replaced....... the cam shaft.... It made me chuckle. I got a 6 year old that will probably be the one in the shop. He won't go fix the Jeep when I tell him what needs to be done right now, just say's he doesn't know how. lol. I got a 62 Chevy fleetside that might be his first truck. Plus an old Willys he can wrench on. I'm sure when he is older he'll be more interested. He's into Lego's like I was. Likes to just make his own stuff after he builds the kits and tears them apart. Just showed me he can possibly lick his own elbow. lol.

That's because no one likes you guys...🤣
🤣🤣🤣😛
Just kidding...no really...buy some Tic-Tacs...I kill myself🤪
One day you will become the guy everyone calls.... Neighbor kid called called because the carb on the 64 Mustang was puking fuel out vent stopper. Facilities guy from church called to see if a F250 Diesel they found online would be a good buy (And he was a Diesel mechanic lol) Neither offered me food for my consultations. lol.

It's worse than that, lawn mowers, Boats, home repairs, fireplace duct work, dryer, plumbing etc, if you're a technician/mechanic, your buddies think supposedly you can fix anything lol.

Of course, man. That’s why I put the smiley. I respect your age and everyone here. I am an Army vet also.

Ditto

It's worse than that, lawn mowers, Boats, home repairs, fireplace duct work, dryer, plumbing etc, if you're a technician/mechanic, your buddies think supposedly you can fix anything lol.
Don't I know it. I use to build furniture and now I am an electrician. Usually when someone says "Hey can I ask you something" I got to prepare my brain on what topic I need to focus on lol. Oh and I was a cop for 10 years so I get those type of questions also. lol. Oh and don't forget boats. I've been paid to repair a few boats and motors. Out of high school I worked for Sears slinging parts then worked my way to repair man. Was at a friends house and his parents had a washer and dryer sitting out they were throwing away. I took the washer and put a 3 dollar part on it then sold it for 250.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Get ? Can you fix a ticket ?

Got it covered. Neighbor is a state trooper

I am pretty much on my own but really enjoy teaching others who are willing to learn. It's great to pass down old school knowledge and also educate new school (laptop OBII )stuff too.
I'm lucky in that I have tools and such that I can help and school. But with the tools comes the fix it guy name sake and it can stink some times...

Hey, my a/c isn't working - call @CJ, he has a vacuum pump and R12 and R34a freon.
Hey, my floor board is rusted out - call @CJ, he has a mig.
Hey, my fuel tank leaks - call @CJ, he can tig aluminum.
Hey, my all my wiring is toast, call @CJ, he knows 12v/110v/220v/440v.

It can get old but it is nice to help. The one thing I hate is body work (mudding and sanding) but I like making and reworking metal. Having a shear, crimp, die roller, break, plasma and even a milling machine helps. I hate painting too!

Yep, fix one pool pump, air handler, garage door, sprinkler system, differential, engine, log splitter ect. and your scarred for life but in a good way! :chug:

I am pretty much on my own but really enjoy teaching others who are willing to learn. It's great to pass down old school knowledge and also educate new school (laptop OBII )stuff too.
I'm lucky in that I have tools and such that I can help and school. But with the tools comes the fix it guy name sake and it can stink some times...

Hey, my a/c isn't working - call @CJ, he has a vacuum pump and R12 and R34a freon.
Hey, my floor board is rusted out - call @CJ, he has a mig.
Hey, my fuel tank leaks - call @CJ, he can tig aluminum.
Hey, my all my wiring is toast, call @CJ, he knows 12v/110v/220v/440v.

It can get old but it is nice to help. The one thing I hate is body work (mudding and sanding) but I like making and reworking metal. Having a shear, crimp, die roller, break, plasma and even a milling machine helps. I hate painting too!
Yup people always looking for a deal. Friend got me a sign that says Skilled Labor Ain't Cheap, Cheap Labor Ain't Skilled.

I've seen that...

Skilled, cheap and fast, I believe...nether shall the three cross

You only get two out of three...you get to pick which two :LOL:

^You're absolutely right

Might as well be speaking a foreign language to be able to help them with theirs, or vice versa... forget being able to share tools and spare/extra parts

A really good guy who wrenches as a side hustle not too far from me wheels his seven with a Scrambler group pretty frequently...I'd bet that has a lot to do with it

Seems to me a lot of these smaller groups may be networking on social as opposed to websites or affiliated/associated clubs...smaller, closer knit...have to go digging to find them
That really good guy rebuilt my jeep 👍🏼it wasn't cheap but worth every cent. Another guy in the area rebuilt my motor and added a mild RV cam at my request. It was changed from t5 to tf999, from Carter to mc2100s to finally holley sniper and I am living the dream I envisioned 38 years ago when I ordered it from Toledo, new, as a 21 year old MP 🫡
I have wheeled it in Italy, while in the Army, watched a few Nascar races in the infield in it, rolled it on black ice, insurance brought it back from near total write off. I begged them then said they didn't include the upgrades. I had spun the 2 piece axle pre internet, replaced with Moser 1 piece, via mail order, NO Renegade decals, etc so they agreed and capitulated.
Then the salty roads of PA started at it. It also started knocking & sat for a few years. Had a kid moved to Virginia (dragged it here on a uhaul). 1st rebuild I changed gearing and added a locker. Bought a craigslist used 258, changed that myself, tyvm youtube lol.
Went wheeling in Uhwarrie in 2009'ish. Couldn't get it to pass inspection. Then moved, dragged it from Chesapeake to central VA.
Was car shopping for a 2006 rubi LJ. I like em rare lol. Wife said why spend all that when you just want to drive YOUR jeep.
She's my best friend for many reasons 🥰 but I said, yes dear and got to work on the restoration plans which ultimately included that really good guy 👍🏼thanks for helping my dream come back to life!
I've since named it Tank, after my Dad who was a tank mechanic 😊 and has turned a few wrenches on my Great CJ8

Attachments

• 20230514_194203.jpg
    20230514_194203.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230507_134407.jpg
    20230507_134407.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Mostly just Cooper and I...
I never need a shower after being together under the Jeep with him.

IMG_3762.JPG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks