Misc. Who do you wrench with?

Misc. Who do you wrench with?

ShepsCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7 called The Captain
I joined this forum many years ago. But as social media ie... FB came about I joined that way of connecting with people. Joined many group pages, even created my own called Built By Jeepers. This came about because the main Jeep group was mainly JKU people asking about what car wash is the best. So a guy I connected with on there and I wanted a place to talk with people who actually work on their own Jeeps. And even fab up what they were trying to accomplish. Well as with most things, people moved on to other projects or life events so the page kind of went dormant. So looking for actual conversations on old Jeeps, I came back. I'm glad I did. I've enjoyed posting and connecting with others on one of my passions, Old Jeeps. Figured with the knowledge I've gained from the process of my build might be helpful to some. And I could get answers to things that I am having trouble with. I say all that to get to the point I am trying to make. I looked at the member map to see where fellow Jeepers are from. Not too many terribly close to me. So that got me wondering if any of you actually wrench with each other. I made a trip to Wadsworth Illinois and hung out with guy I met on Built By Jeepers FB group (I use to build custom furniture and he paid me to build a table and deliver it to him). Then since I was up there I drove over to meet the guy who I created Built By Jeepers with in Iowa City. Had fun there, he has a lot of Jeeps. We got an old model A truck, a Jeepster, and a couple of CJ's going while I was there. It was good wrenching with another Jeeper. Now around the area I live, if you see an old CJ driving around it's usually in great condition. They have bought it that way. I've offered my help and shop if they wanted to wrench on their Jeep tgether. Only response I ever got was someone offering to pay me to fix some issue. I have friends with newer Jeeps that we've wrenched together on their stuff. But no like minded old Jeepers getting things done with each other in the shop. Most times if I am in the shop I'm out there by myself, or the person is there with me because I am fixing something for them. So I am curious if any of you live near each other and have a good time just wrenching together?

I wish there were some CJ Jeepers close around here. I have made friends with 3 over the years, 45 minutes, 60 minutes and 90 minutes away. CJs are just scarce around here.

Y
I wish there were some CJ Jeepers close around here. I have made friends with 3 over the years, 45 minutes, 60 minutes and 90 minutes away. CJs are just scarce around here.
Yeah, they are getting to be a rare breed with all the new Jeeps. I remember when the TJ first came out and I was all like "Who would want to wheel that, looks like it will break easy and you can't get the inside wet" Now its was one of the go to's if you want to do a Jeep build. Now everyone just got the 4d JKU's. But if you damage a wheel speed sensor it throws your Jeep into limp mode and won't let you go over 45 unless you remove the fuse for it. Had a friend pay me to drive about 3 hours to trailer his Jeep back to the place he bought it so then could replace one because he didn't want to pull the fuse or try to fix it on a Sunday afternoon. At least we can just unlock a hub or if you've twin sticked it you can front wheel drive it home.

Y

Yeah, they are getting to be a rare breed with all the new Jeeps. I remember when the TJ first came out and I was all like "Who would want to wheel that, looks like it will break easy and you can't get the inside wet" Now its was one of the go to's if you want to do a Jeep build. Now everyone just got the 4d JKU's. But if you damage a wheel speed sensor it throws your Jeep into limp mode and won't let you go over 45 unless you remove the fuse for it. Had a friend pay me to drive about 3 hours to trailer his Jeep back to the place he bought it so then could replace one because he didn't want to pull the fuse or try to fix it on a Sunday afternoon. At least we can just unlock a hub or if you've twin sticked it you can front wheel drive it home.
^You're absolutely right

Might as well be speaking a foreign language to be able to help them with theirs, or vice versa... forget being able to share tools and spare/extra parts

A really good guy who wrenches as a side hustle not too far from me wheels his seven with a Scrambler group pretty frequently...I'd bet that has a lot to do with it

Seems to me a lot of these smaller groups may be networking on social as opposed to websites or affiliated/associated clubs...smaller, closer knit...have to go digging to find them

^You're absolutely right

Might as well be speaking a foreign language to be able to help them with theirs, or vice versa... forget being able to share tools and spare/extra parts

A really good guy who wrenches as a side hustle not too far from me wheels his seven with a Scrambler group pretty frequently...I'd bet that has a lot to do with it

Seems to me a lot of these smaller groups may be networking on social as opposed to websites or affiliated/associated clubs...smaller, closer knit...have to go digging to find them
Yeah, they have local FB groups. I'm not into any of the local ones. Unfortunately here there is only a couple of real wheeling places that are about 2 hours away unless you just want to go mud ridding. I hate I missed my chance when I was working out in Cali of getting with someone to go wheeling out there. So most of the Jeep meets here are parking lot get togethers. I wrench on all years of auto's. From my old 40's Willys and 30's Farmall tractor to my wife's 2019 Honda. Which with all the electronics you cant just replace a part and clear a check engine light until the car decides that yes you have replaced the bad part and it is ok for the check engine light to reset. I've became the "go to" guy at church for any car questions. I have to remind people I am not a mechanic shop, that way I do not spend all my time working on other peoples cars after I get off work and have more time to work on my CJ. With that being said, I just repaired a wiring harness on a friends Colorado because he found me a Hot Wheels I been looking for but could not find LOL.

So I am curious if any of you live near each other and have a good time just wrenching together?
My cousin just got the bug and bought an 05 Willy's wrangler, he and I work on his, my other buddy with "the Murder Hornet" CJ5 work together from time.
IMG_20220610_132502485_HDR.jpg2022-06-28_112908.jpg
2022-06-28_112922.jpg

But on the Franken-J only me
2022-05-19_155936.jpg

off topic but had to share, spotted this beauty over the weekend and had to "Duck" it

2022-07-10_191510.jpg
2022-07-10_191525.jpg

"the Murder Hornet"
That is an awesome name for a Jeep!

As an original Willys owner, I take offense to a TJ running around masquerading as a Willys. lol. FYI, JKU Springs (rubicon if possible) you find on FB market place cheap or free will give that TJ a 2-3 in lift. Co-worker got a TJ Unlimited, the remade Scrambler one back in 04-06 and he did that lift on his. Think he got pucks in front to level it. I've helped do one before on other TJ's for a free lift. The pictures attached are a TJ we did the spring lift on. Guy I knew got it for his daughter. The Dark colored is before he Rhino lined it in teal. Did not have a good of flex as I thought it would have.

Attachments

• 20180413_225912.jpg
    20180413_225912.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 2
  • received_2079274105420624.jpeg
    received_2079274105420624.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 2
  • received_2079274035420631.jpeg
    received_2079274035420631.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 3
  • received_2079273978753970.jpeg
    received_2079273978753970.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 3
  • received_2079273935420641.jpeg
    received_2079273935420641.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 3
  • emilyjeep.jpg
    emilyjeep.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 3
I have had my CJ for 4 years and have not seen another one on the road in my area in all that time. I think most of the CJs in Germany are in the far west and I live about half an hour from the Czech border

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

There is a feature on this site to view a map of other members' locations. Maybe someone is near enough to you that you just don't know about yet.

menu.jpg

I have had my CJ for 4 years and have not seen another one on the road in my area in all that time. I think most of the CJs in Germany are in the far west and I live about half an hour from the Czech border

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
One of my favorite YouTube channels is 4WD/24-7 out of Australia. It be net to see a Jeep on an adventure with their Utes.

There is a feature on this site to view a map of other members' locations. Maybe someone is near enough to you that you just don't know about yet.

View attachment 76098
I've looked at that before think all there are 3 that are about an hour away in different directions. Lso could be dormant on this site like I use to be.

One of my favorite YouTube channels is 4WD/24-7 out of Australia. It be net to see a Jeep on an adventure with their Utes.
X2. My favorite. Shauno is great !

I am a lone wolf and do my own wrenching by myself.

Lol

That's because no one likes you guys...🤣
🤣🤣🤣😛
Just kidding...no really...buy some Tic-Tacs...I kill myself🤪
You’ll be one of our breed when you learn the trade, trust me. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks