Interior Thoughts on bumpers, spare tire carrier & tire size...

UncleMike

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ-7, 5L
Trying to wrap up Phase 1 of my 1979 CJ7 rehab, and my target is to wind up with a lightly modified but largely faithful restoration. Mods i am open to are safety related, or intended to correct original Jeep issues, but really not looking to build a wheeling rig, and just plan to putz around town and drive at the beach. Body and frame are original, with no real sign of modifications or body work. Other than some surface rust, no rot or rust. When i got the Jeep, it had a poorly done suspension lift and body lift, and 35x12.50s, tube bumpers, electrical gremlins, guage/switch issues, etc...ran all over the road due to springs and shot steering column/shaft.

With help from this forum, i have since rewired much of the chassis, replaced lights, all switches, gauges (new speedhuts), rebuilt hte heater box (with blazer fan motor upgrade, MTS cables and original, but recored, copper/brass core) and did the wolff steering column bearing and borgeson shaft. Just ordered a mild 2.5" rough country lift, 1/2" tellico shackles and 15x7 crager nomad II (closest i could find to stock) wheels. Tracked down original lever style doors and a few other odds and ends.

Now it is time to think about tire size, and i have a few questions.

First, it has low quality tube bumpers and no spare carrier. Unless some of these came with no spare carrier stock, PO filled the holes (he did a frame-off about 10-years ago). My preference would be to go back to stock bumpers, stock (or close) spare carrier, and bumperettes, but not fully convinced quite yet since the rockcrawler style bumpers are just a slight deviation from OE and don't look "new-fangled". I would like to add a warn 8274 at some point. LIke i said...not looking to be fully stock, but would like a look that is close to original and looks like it was modified back in the 70s/80s...classic.

So, first, tire size. Either going 33x10.5 or 31x10.5s. i could run 33x10.50's with the planned 3" lift...but i am told i would need to keep hte body lift. I'd prefer to go back to stock body bushings as i don't like hte look of body lifts. First question...can i run 33x10.5s with just hte suspension lift? Second consideration...weight and size of spare tire on stock carrier...thoughts on this? Third consideration...drivability...not going with mud tread, and likely just a BFG A/T.

So, as i ponder all of the above, i wanted some thoughts on the tire size, body lift and rear bumper/spare carrier, since it all relates (in my mind). I could go with a bumper with integrated spare carrier, or go back to stock...but, will i have issues down the road with either the 33x10.5 or 31x10.5? Will i have issues running the 33s without the body lift? Would love to get some feedback and pics from anyone with ideas or experience around this...

Hansen. Very robust. Rear bumper can be customized at your time line and expense.

Attachments

• CJ78.9.jpg
    CJ78.9.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CJ78.6.jpg
    CJ78.6.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 10
I have a 4" suspension lift and run 35's with slight trimming of the fenders and after-market "pocket" style flares. I have no body lift. With a 3" or 4" suspension lift, 33's should fit OK. I also echo the recommendation on Hanson bumpers. I didn't go that route, but they are a quality option - lots of choices, designs, add-ons. I built my bumpers from scrap laying around. Some modest welding skills and you can fab up almost anything easy-peasy. And having a tire carrier allowed me to also add a mount for the hi-lift and some rotopax cans.

Trying to wrap up Phase 1 of my 1979 CJ7 rehab, and my target is to wind up with a lightly modified but largely faithful restoration. Mods i am open to are safety related, or intended to correct original Jeep issues, but really not looking to build a wheeling rig, and just plan to putz around town and drive at the beach. Body and frame are original, with no real sign of modifications or body work. Other than some surface rust, no rot or rust. When i got the Jeep, it had a poorly done suspension lift and body lift, and 35x12.50s, tube bumpers, electrical gremlins, guage/switch issues, etc...ran all over the road due to springs and shot steering column/shaft.

With help from this forum, i have since rewired much of the chassis, replaced lights, all switches, gauges (new speedhuts), rebuilt hte heater box (with blazer fan motor upgrade, MTS cables and original, but recored, copper/brass core) and did the wolff steering column bearing and borgeson shaft. Just ordered a mild 2.5" rough country lift, 1/2" tellico shackles and 15x7 crager nomad II (closest i could find to stock) wheels. Tracked down original lever style doors and a few other odds and ends.

Now it is time to think about tire size, and i have a few questions.

First, it has low quality tube bumpers and no spare carrier. Unless some of these came with no spare carrier stock, PO filled the holes (he did a frame-off about 10-years ago). My preference would be to go back to stock bumpers, stock (or close) spare carrier, and bumperettes, but not fully convinced quite yet since the rockcrawler style bumpers are just a slight deviation from OE and don't look "new-fangled". I would like to add a warn 8274 at some point. LIke i said...not looking to be fully stock, but would like a look that is close to original and looks like it was modified back in the 70s/80s...classic.

So, first, tire size. Either going 33x10.5 or 31x10.5s. i could run 33x10.50's with the planned 3" lift...but i am told i would need to keep hte body lift. I'd prefer to go back to stock body bushings as i don't like hte look of body lifts. First question...can i run 33x10.5s with just hte suspension lift? Second consideration...weight and size of spare tire on stock carrier...thoughts on this? Third consideration...drivability...not going with mud tread, and likely just a BFG A/T.

So, as i ponder all of the above, i wanted some thoughts on the tire size, body lift and rear bumper/spare carrier, since it all relates (in my mind). I could go with a bumper with integrated spare carrier, or go back to stock...but, will i have issues down the road with either the 33x10.5 or 31x10.5? Will i have issues running the 33s without the body lift? Would love to get some feedback and pics from anyone with ideas or experience around this...
No body lift on my CJ7 4 inches spring lift and 33x10.5's no issue at all

Wanted to update and post a few pics for reference for anyone looking at tire size. Fits great, rides great and no clearance issues whatsoever...actually, have more than i need, so will move ahead with removal of body lift.

2.5" rough country lift
1/2" tellico shackles
33x10.5x15 BFG

Attachments

• IMG_4657.JPEG
    IMG_4657.JPEG
    353.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4658.JPEG
    IMG_4658.JPEG
    425.1 KB · Views: 9

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks